Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65

Thread: I am liking the replacement officials...

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Oceanside, Long Island
    Posts
    10,295
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. There was holding going on all game last night and I think 1 holding penalty was called.

    The replacement refs seem to have an ok grasp of pre-snap penalties, but once the bullets start flying, they seem gun-shy.
    They were probably told that a missed call was less embarrassing than a wrong call and kept their whistles in their pockets as a result.

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    They sure did last night. A lot of clutching and grabbing and contact after 5 yards.

    It will be interesting to see on Sunday if the other crews allow the same thing or if it was just the crew last night.

    Overall, I thought they did a pretty good job last night.

    Pretty funny the first penalty was called "clipping" instead of blocking in the back.
    And it WAS a penalty, to the chagrin of Collinsworth.

    He called Cruz' push a "patty cake." He actually did the defender a favor and helped push him towards the ball carrier.

    And the non-call on the hold/PI on the pass to Bennett was a pretty big missed call IMO. That was in front of all to see.

  3. #23
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Until there's a call that we dont like or costs us points.

    Then there will be a 180
    ^ This.

    Might not make it past Week One.

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,607
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    the best thing about replacement officials is the end of the pats OL no-holding rules
    Mr. Kraft will probably be in their pockets very soon, esp if the replacement refs last for the duration of the season

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    And it WAS a penalty, to the chagrin of Collinsworth.

    He called Cruz' push a "patty cake." He actually did the defender a favor and helped push him towards the ball carrier.

    And the non-call on the hold/PI on the pass to Bennett was a pretty big missed call IMO. That was in front of all to see.
    I agree with you, but as a poster stated earlier, it was probably better to let a play go versus blowing a call.

    I don't think the replacement refs will be an issue until they blow a call that cost a team a win. Then the crap will hit the fan.

  6. #26
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,323
    Post Thanks / Like
    When these guys blow the coin toss like the officials did a few years ago on Thanksgiving, then the strike will end.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Mr. Kraft will probably be in their pockets very soon, esp if the replacement refs last for the duration of the season
    I just got off a conference call with BB and Kraft.

    The checks are going out today via FedEx.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,607
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I just got off a conference call with BB and Kraft.

    The checks are going out today via FedEx.
    Oh really??

    I thought Mr. Kraft was a "slip the bill in the pocket" kinda guy

  9. #29
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Section 142 Row 8
    Posts
    283
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Every crew is different. This crew was undoubtedly the one that graded out the best during the preseason.
    And it will only go down from here. This is/was the NFL marquee game, they put their best crew out there. Let's see how the refs are for the games like car vs tb

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I just got off a conference call with BB and Kraft.

    The checks are going out today via FedEx.
    C'mon. You know it's cash. No paper trail.

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Oh really??

    I thought Mr. Kraft was a "slip the bill in the pocket" kinda guy
    BB keeps his red flag in one sock and the cash in the other.

    I'm waiting for the day when he throws a $100 bill onto the field to challenge a call.

  12. #32
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    1,762
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Tonight was really the last possible piece of leverage that the regular officials had if there had been an egregious error but that did not happen. I realize that they might not be as good as the regular guys, but they will improve, and the one thing I do like is that they seem to be less biased than the regular refs. "Name" players definitely get certain leeway and preferential treatment with the regular refs.

    If I am the NFL and Sunday goes reasonably well I break the union.
    Not just "name" players, but coaches as well. The regular refs have been around for way too long and have long standing relationships with coaches and players. They definitely make calls based on these relationships its only human nature.

    The replacement refs are too worried about screwing up that they call it like they see it. While they sometimes see it wrong they aren't being biased. I would love to see a limit on the amount of time a Ref can ref. 10 years of service should be the max allowed. You can't have these refs reffing for 20+ years.

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,317
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Not just "name" players, but coaches as well. The regular refs have been around for way too long and have long standing relationships with coaches and players. They definitely make calls based on these relationships its only human nature.

    The replacement refs are too worried about screwing up that they call it like they see it. While they sometimes see it wrong they aren't being biased. I would love to see a limit on the amount of time a Ref can ref. 10 years of service should be the max allowed. You can't have these refs reffing for 20+ years.
    Did I just read an argument against experience?


    Anyone who wants to know how this works out in the long run, look at the officiating in the mid to lower tier college bowl games. Nothing worse than watching a bunch of refs from the Sun Belt and Conference USA try to call a game between an SEC and Big 12 team. The game is too much faster than they're used to and it results in a disproportionate number of missed calls.



    The regular refs will be back eventually, and hopefully the NFL finds a couple of good guys among the replacements.

    And I can't believe there are people trying to make the case that the replacements are better than the regulars.

  14. #34
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    1,762
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Did I just read an argument against experience?


    Anyone who wants to know how this works out in the long run, look at the officiating in the mid to lower tier college bowl games. Nothing worse than watching a bunch of refs from the Sun Belt and Conference USA try to call a game between an SEC and Big 12 team. The game is too much faster than they're used to and it results in a disproportionate number of missed calls.



    The regular refs will be back eventually, and hopefully the NFL finds a couple of good guys among the replacements.

    And I can't believe there are people trying to make the case that the replacements are better than the regulars.
    Its an argument against complacency. A lot of refs are getting too old, and have no risk of punishment. They are biased and complacent. 10 years of service is enough to work your way up through the ranks, 1-2 as a line ref, 1-2 as field ref, then get your own crew for a few years then be done.

    If you don't grade out high enough you don't keep/get your own crew.

  15. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Its an argument against complacency. A lot of refs are getting too old, and have no risk of punishment.
    That's not true.



    During a Tuesday meeting with various NBC producers and broadcasters, NFL V.P. of officiating Ray Anderson explained passionately — and persuasively — the importance of being able to pull an underperforming official off the field during a season, not after it. Anderson said that the league intends via the lockout to change from an system of “entitlement” to “accountability.”

    While officials currently are held accountable via week-to-week grading that, depending on overall performance, could get an official fired or demoted, Anderson explained that some officials become complacent once they know they won’t be getting a postseason assignment. He also said that some officials are in shape at the outset of the season, but that they are 20 or more pounds heavier later in the year, and in turn unable to keep up with the play on the field.

    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ccountability/

  16. #36
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    6,317
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Its an argument against complacency. A lot of refs are getting too old, and have no risk of punishment. They are biased and complacent. 10 years of service is enough to work your way up through the ranks, 1-2 as a line ref, 1-2 as field ref, then get your own crew for a few years then be done.

    If you don't grade out high enough you don't keep/get your own crew.
    Why would you ever get rid of someone that's good at their job after 10 years?

  17. #37
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,452
    Post Thanks / Like
    I read somewhere they are using 8 refs until the strike is over. That helps as well.

  18. #38
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4,400
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    You can't just not call certain penalties... You stop calling penalties like holding and you'll never see another sack.
    and you can't penalize every borderline call either, otherwise the game becomes tedious, long... unwatchable...

    How many times do you see 3rd and long... and QB's are just tossing the ball up and getting calls. Ridiculous...

    How many phony roughing calls do we see now??

    Go watch the Superbowl on NFL Network and see the phantom hold against Wilfork... to his credit, when asked he tells the ref, yeah, that was a bad call, there was no hold. It happened on a key down while the Giants were driving and potentially could have been the difference between winning and losing - just as much as Welker dropping that pass...

    My point is that it works both ways and I'd rather see a return to less over the top officiating... this isn't basketball.

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,636
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    and you can't penalize every borderline call either, otherwise the game becomes tedious, long... unwatchable...

    How many times do you see 3rd and long... and QB's are just tossing the ball up and getting calls. Ridiculous...

    How many phony roughing calls do we see now??

    Go watch the Superbowl on NFL Network and see the phantom hold against Wilfork... to his credit, when asked he tells the ref, yeah, that was a bad call, there was no hold. It happened on a key down while the Giants were driving and potentially could have been the difference between winning and losing - just as much as Welker dropping that pass...

    My point is that it works both ways and I'd rather see a return to less over the top officiating... this isn't basketball.
    How about the players adjust and don't commit the penalties?


    In my opinion, keep calling everything and if a team wants to win consistently, they'll figure out a way to stop committing penalties.

    If you just stop calling stuff, then you'll never see another pass completed due to the physicality of the corners and you'll never see another sack due to the holding that will occur.

  20. #40
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    566
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll take the replacements over Ron Winter any day

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us