Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I am liking the replacement officials...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    They were probably told that a missed call was less embarrassing than a wrong call and kept their whistles in their pockets as a result.
    And I have no problem with that as long as it's consistent. My fear is that it was just for last night because it was on the big stage.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    And it WAS a penalty, to the chagrin of Collinsworth.

He called Cruz' push a "patty cake." He actually did the defender a favor and helped push him towards the ball carrier.

And the non-call on the hold/PI on the pass to Bennett was a pretty big missed call IMO. That was in front of all to see.
    Yeah but there was also a non-call against the Giants on Romo on the drive where the Boys but a FG on the board. When they were on the 10 yard line or so going in, Romo took off up the middle and slid. Not only was he tackled on the slide, the DB smacked him in the head. It should have been 1st down on the 5 or 6. Instead they had to kick the FG.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly believe that having new blood in the officiating will benefit teams that for years got the short end of the stick.
    Anyone that thinks their is no bias for teams like the Pats & Packers are fooling themselves.

Just look at the ticky tack penalties called on players breathing on Brady, meanwhile Sanchez is taking a beating & the league has to fine guys after the fact.

Maybe those mysterious holding calls will disappear, you know the ones, when the underdog team is trying for a comeback, or the non-calls when they want the Pats to come back.

If you don't think those old school refs don't come into a game biased against the likes of the Ryans ect. your dreaming.
    Look at the playoff game when the Saints were hitting the Vikings late all over the place.
    Do you honestly believe that the Jets would have gotten away with those hits on Favre?
    And why weren't they called?
    Because Favre was now a Viking not a Packer.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post

Just look at the ticky tack penalties called on players breathing on Brady, meanwhile Sanchez is taking a beating & the league has to fine guys after the fact.
    What about how Revis can mug WR's all the way down the field with no calls?

Elite players will always be given far more latitude.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

That would mean you don't watch the games.

Considering no one throws his way its even dumber to try and make that point.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just got off a conference call with BB and Kraft.

The checks are going out today via FedEx.
    Being honest when I say this.. I feel that teams like the patriots and giants are going to suffer.

Teams like the Jets and Cowboys are sloppy, they do stupid things they shoot themselves in the foot.

The pats and giants don't shoot themselves. But now they have the refs to worry about.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    the old ref's were whistle happy. It just got out of hand. These guys understand that its a physical game and players can actually touch each other without a whistle being blown. F the regular officials .... these guys called a better game last night than ANY game I watched last year. I prefer the replacement ref's. They actually understand that they are reffin a FOOTBALL game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude they show Revis 14 times a game so you get to see EVERYTHING he does. He doesn't do anything different than any other corner its just you see those corners for 2 plays a game max and Revis about 8-10 minimum cause he's the best in the game. You probably never thought of this though .... They don't feature a Patriots corner on television unless he's getting burned lol. Let us know the day when you guys get a shut down corner and you watch his highlights during the game from 8-10 plays where the QB doesn't even look at his direction and you'll understand. Until then ... talk "Brady Brady Brady" or "Gronk" ... or whatever it is you guys slob over. Leave the defense discussions on this forum alone ... The last time the Pats had an elite defense everyone was on Myspace. I know its been a while dude ..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    the old ref's were whistle happy. It just got out of hand. These guys understand that its a physical game and players can actually touch each other without a whistle being blown. F the regular officials .... these guys called a better game last night than ANY game I watched last year. I prefer the replacement ref's. They actually understand that they are reffin a FOOTBALL game.
    There were 17 penalties in last night's game. The average for last year was 12 penalties per game.

Why do people insist on making things up?

And the favoritism stuff always rings hollow to me. Some teams are more disciplined than others. The Patriots don't get away with holding on passing plays. Everyone gets away with holding on passing plays. Former offensive linemen will tell you that they all know there is a degree of holding that they are allowed to do on every passing play, and that without it, they'd never be able to hold off the pass rush. If you're looking for the holding every time the Brady drops back, you're going to see it, because it happens. But those aren't flags that the NFL wants to be thrown.

The 10 least penalized teams in 2011:

1) Packers
    2) Colts
    3) Jaguars
    4) Patriots
    5) Redskins
    6) Dolphins
    7) Bills
    8) Ravens
    9) Falcons
    10) Saints

Ranging from 4.7 to 5.7 per game.

The 10 most penalized teams:

1) Raiders
    2) Seahawks
    3) Lions
    4) Buccaneers
    5) Cowboys
    6) Panthers
    7) Chiefs
    8) 49ers
    9) Vikings
    10) Eagles

Ranging from 6.7 to 10.2

87.5% of the teams fall between 4.7 and 7.1 penalties per game. Then you have the Raiders, Seahawks, Lions, and Bucs that were all above 7.7. The Raiders averaged 1.6 penalties more than anyone else.

**Something interesting I came across. The Jets were the 3rd least penalized team in '06. We were the 2nd least penalized team in '07. We were the 6th least penalized team in '08. We were the 13th least penalized team in '09, the 18th least penalized team in '10 and '11.

The Browns were the 30th least penalized team in '07 and the 24th least penalized team in '08. They were the 3rd least penalized team in '09 and the 4th least penalized team in '10. They were the 12th least penalized team in '11.

Eliminating penalties is a major point of emphasis for Mangini. If you want to reduce your penalties, it's entirely within your control.

Conversely, the Lions have been one of the 5 most penalized teams in the league ever since Schwartz showed up. He wants a hyper-aggressive team, and he'll live with the increased number of penalties.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    the best thing about replacement officials is the end of the pats OL no-holding rules
    And hopefully the Tom Brady phantom roughing calls. Seriously... these refs can only benefit us. Especially when you consider how a few of the regular guys have called games against us.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many times in the past 9 years have the Patriots been one of the 5 least penalized teams?

How many times in the past 9 years have the Packers been one of the 5 least penalized teams?

How many times in the past 9 years have the Steelers been one of the 5 least penalized teams?

How many times in the past 9 years have the Jets been one of the 5 least penalized teams?

So, are we darlings too?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Opponent Penalties per game:

Packers: 7.4 (3rd)
    Patriots: 7.0 (7th)
    Jets: 6.9 (8th)

But...but...but......I thought the Pats got so many more calls than we did?????

Who gets more calls than the Packers? The Cardinals (7.6 per game on the opponent) and............the Raiders!!!! (7.5 per game) Guess the NFL's not really out to get them. They just play in penalty riddled games and/or draw flag happy crews.

Who do you think receivers the most penalty yardage, in their favor, per game?

1) Raiders
    2) Dolphins
    3) Jets

Clearly the "darlings" of the NFL right there.

What about the teams everyone seems to think the NFL shows the most favoritism toward?

Green Bay? 8th

New England? 14th

Pittsburgh? 28th

What's the explanation for this?

You see a call that benefits or hurts a certain team and it sticks in your head. You remember it. Your own biases distort reality.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post

Who gets more calls than the Packers? The Cardinals (7.6 per game on the opponent) and............the Raiders!!!! (7.5 per game) Guess the NFL's not really out to get them. They just play in penalty riddled games and/or draw flag happy crews.

Who do you think receivers the most penalty yardage, in their favor, per game?

1) Raiders
    2) Dolphins
    3) Jets

Clearly the "darlings" of the NFL right there.

What about the teams everyone seems to think the NFL shows the most favoritism toward?

Green Bay? 8th

New England? 14th

Pittsburgh? 28th

What's the explanation for this?

You see a call that benefits or hurts a certain team and it sticks in your head. You remember it. Your own biases distort reality.
    ANother example of lieing statistics. Like after vick complained that the refs don't call flags on him that would be on brady. Some reporter posted flags per dropback. Instead of flags per qb knock down.

Not all penalties are the same. A pentaly when your up by 25 points isn't the same as when your driving. Refs are very much aware of how much each team has been flagged, and its strange that they have a way of balancing things out.

Its too hard, and probably just conspiracy theories, but how many drive extending pentalies to the pats/colts(with manning) get when they are tied or loosing, comapred to other teams? How many times does their opponents get a flag when they are driving.

Proving teams get preferencial treatment(and some teams do) is a lot harder than pointing out who was most penalized.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    checking stats

Brady actually draws almost the least amount of roughing the passer calls....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/s...vorites-092911
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 09-06-2012 at 10:16 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    checking stats

That means Brady didn't get one RP call all 2010 (+ 1st three weeks of '11).

I find that hard to believe.

But even so, the actual number of flags thrown doesn't prove Brady's were justified or that Sanchez didn't deserve more.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Until there's a call that we dont like or costs us points.

Then there will be a 180
    this guy gets it.

two stars for you...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    checking stats

This is the article i was referring to in my last post. This is great example of using statistics in a way to further your point without it being correct. Flags per dropback isn't as important as flags per QB hit/knockdown. Brady rarely gets hit, but when he does he gets a flag.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    This is the article i was referring to in my last post. This is great example of using statistics in a way to further your point without it being correct. Flags per dropback isn't as important as flags per QB hit/knockdown. Brady rarely gets hit, but when he does he gets a flag.
    Yes, but what you said is an excellent example of exactly what I was talking about. You didn't look up that stat...yes it's tracked.

Brady was the 10th most hit qb in the league last year so what you said is actually the opposite of what really happens. In fact, Green Bay and NO registered less QB hits considering they pass just as much.

It's all just BS when you get down to it. People love to complain but the stats don't bear out what people think in their minds.

In 2010 NE was 31st in QB hits...true, but there were also zero roughing calls against Brady....

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/teamOL.php
    Last edited by CleatMarks; 09-07-2012 at 09:34 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    That means Brady didn't get one RP call all 2010 (+ 1st three weeks of '11).

I find that hard to believe.

But even so, the actual number of flags thrown doesn't prove Brady's were justified or that Sanchez didn't deserve more.
    Perception isn't always reality... I'm just going by the stats...the guys who track things like this.

People want to believe what they want to believe. People go to magic shows to get fooled, that doesn't mean that it's really magic.