Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am liking the replacement officials...

I am liking the replacement officials...

They seem to let the secondary get away with a lot more contact. This will benefit the Jets in a big way if it continues. I'm also hoping they don't call as many chickensh*t "hits on defenseless receiver" penalties. Maybe football will be more like football this year.

Every crew is different. This crew was undoubtedly the one that graded out the best during the preseason.

The regular officials suck balls. I didn't understand what all the fuss was on talk radio past month and a half. All the blown calls I've seen over the years even with instant replay yet somehow these clowns are unreplaceable.

Jets Insider VIP
    Enjoy it now because the real refs will be back very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    The regular officials suck balls. I didn't understand what all the fuss was on talk radio past month and a half. All the blown calls I've seen over the years even with instant replay yet somehow these clowns are unreplaceable.
    Listening to some former coaches and players on NFLN, they talked about how yes, the regular officials miss some calls, that no one is perfect, but it's the kind of calls that they miss and that the replacements will probably be worse and inconsistent.

Jets Insider VIP
    The best news was that the officials were not the story of the game tonight. They made calls, mostly good ones, some debatable but nothing glaringly wrong.

I hope this pushes the officials union back to deal-making mode and let's them realize that they're highly compensated for a job that several others are capable of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Listening to some former coaches and players on NFLN, they talked about how yes, the regular officials miss some calls, that no one is perfect, but it's the kind of calls that they miss and that the replacements will probably be worse and inconsistent.
    But they weren't tonight at least. We'll see how the weekend goes!

the best thing about replacement officials is the end of the pats OL no-holding rules

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    i say we keep em
    Just let the union go and hire these guys, and whichever of the regular officials who decide they want to work for the NFL along with the best of these guys. Then we can have extra crews, and let them prove themselves every year, or every game. As long as they are held accountable, and start letting their big egos get in the way of calling a fair game. It'll be nice to have the officials knocked down a peg either way.

Tonight was really the last possible piece of leverage that the regular officials had if there had been an egregious error but that did not happen. I realize that they might not be as good as the regular guys, but they will improve, and the one thing I do like is that they seem to be less biased than the regular refs. "Name" players definitely get certain leeway and preferential treatment with the regular refs.

If I am the NFL and Sunday goes reasonably well I break the union.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Until there's a call that we dont like or costs us points.

Then there will be a 180

Jets Insider VIP
    so far way better than the Hochillis, Winters and the rest of the out of shape, senior insurance salesmen known as the regular officials

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    so far way better than the Hochillis, Winters and the rest of the out of shape, senior insurance salesmen known as the regular officials
    Indeed

Hall Of Fame
    I thought the officials did a good job last night. I am not going to pile on the replacement refs. I blame the NFL. These guys are doing the best they can and they have a nanny upstairs making sure everything is correct. I think the games are going to be slower.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I thought the officials did a good job last night. I am not going to pile on the replacement refs. I blame the NFL. These guys are doing the best they can and they have a nanny upstairs making sure everything is correct. I think the games are going to be slower.
    I don't mind that, honestly. Love a long afternoon of football.

They did fine. I think the number of penalties called last night was appropriate vs last year which detracted from the game.

This is football, let them play.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Exactly...

I love how the media points out every mistake by the replacements like the regular refs didn't make them. What a freaking joke. Those guys are awful and I'll take these replacements.

Last night's crew wasn't afraid to call stuff either. I was worried they would swallow their whistles and they didn't. They called the holding that wsa happening and the regular crews were getting in a habit of not calling them.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    They did fine. I think the number of penalties called last night was appropriate vs last year which detracted from the game.

This is football, let them play.
    You can't just not call certain penalties... You stop calling penalties like holding and you'll never see another sack.

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    the best thing about replacement officials is the end of the pats OL no-holding rules
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. There was holding going on all game last night and I think 1 holding penalty was called.

The replacement refs seem to have an ok grasp of pre-snap penalties, but once the bullets start flying, they seem gun-shy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    They seem to let the secondary get away with a lot more contact.
    They sure did last night. A lot of clutching and grabbing and contact after 5 yards.

It will be interesting to see on Sunday if the other crews allow the same thing or if it was just the crew last night.

Overall, I thought they did a pretty good job last night.

Pretty funny the first penalty was called "clipping" instead of blocking in the back.