Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Art Modell dies at 87

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    I am not bitter. I am not a Browns fan.

I just won't pretend he was a great guy or someone who belongs in the Hall of Fame. He was just an owner who ran one of the flagship franchises into the ground, moved it to another town, and ran it into the ground again despite getting a free $200m stadium and a $25m gift from Baltimore.

He couldn't hold Al Davis' or Lamar Hunt's jockstrap in terms of contributions to the league.
    You sure sound like a jilted lover to me. He was once President of the league, so saying he couldn't carry Uncle Al's jock is a bit harsh IMHO. Plus I think the city of Cleveland wanted him to stay in Municipal Stadium which needed a face lift.

That being said, If I was a Browns fan, I don't think I would've forgave him either. At least he left the name behind, UNLIKE THE IRSAY'S WHO MOVED THE COLTS OUT UNDER THE COVER OF DARKNESS WITHOUT WARNING.
    Last edited by chesapeakejet; 09-07-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    May the man from Brookjlyn rest in peace. He was an a visionary and helped develop the NFL into what it is today.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I'll probably sport a "Modell Sold Us Out" t-shirt.

Gotta go to Mo's!

(too soon????)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    You sure sound like a jilted lover to me. He was once President of the league, so saying he couldn't carry Uncle Al's jock is a bit harsh IMHO. Plus I don't think the city of Cleveland wanted him to stay in Municipal Stadium which needed a face lift.

That being said, If I was a Browns fan, I don't think I would've forgave him either. At least he left the name behind, UNLIKE THE IRSAY'S WHO MOVED THE COLTS OUT UNDER THE COVER OF DARKNESS WITHOUT WARNING.
    I think the above sums it up. If you're from Cleveland or have family from there, you probably don't hold Art in high regard. You still probably remember how your team was ripped from your grasp. Most everyone else probably realizes the impact the guy made on the NFL and deserves to be held in extremely high regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    I am not bitter. I am not a Browns fan.

I just won't pretend he was a great guy or someone who belongs in the Hall of Fame. He was just an owner who ran one of the flagship franchises into the ground, moved it to another town, and ran it into the ground again despite getting a free $200m stadium and a $25m gift from Baltimore.

He couldn't hold Al Davis' or Lamar Hunt's jockstrap in terms of contributions to the league.
    Regardless, he was still a man who lost his life. That's a very sad thing.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I think the above sums it up. If you're from Cleveland or have family from there, you probably don't hold Art in high regard.
    To my friends from Cleveland,

Art Modell = LeBron James

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by simijet View Post
    To my friends from Cleveland,

Art Modell = LeBron James
    To be fair, I'm not from Cleveland, don't have a real affinity to basketball and I thought Lebron was complete trash for what he did and, more so, how he did it.

With him, it's probably the opposite - everyone outside of Miami probably thinks the same way.

Pro Football Weekly ‏@ProFootballWkly
    RT @MaryKayCabot: .#NFL asking all teams to commemorate Modell's passing in some way on Sunday.

Hall Of Fame
    To be fair, I'm not from Cleveland, don't have a real affinity to basketball and I thought Lebron was complete trash for what he did and, more so, how he did it.

With him, it's probably the opposite - everyone outside of Miami probably thinks the same way.
    I loved the way he did it--stuck it to Knick fans in their back yard

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I loved the way he did it--stuck it to Knick fans in their back yard

_
    No Knicks for you either? I don't hate'em but never had any major love for them either. Thinking of trying out the Nets for a bit now that they're in Brooklyn.

Hall Of Fame
    No Knicks for you either? I don't hate'em but never had any major love for them either. Thinking of trying out the Nets for a bit now that they're in Brooklyn.
    I grew up a Lakers fan when Chamberlain and West were there, but my second team was the Nets because I saw them in the ABA out in Commack Arena and then at the Nassau Coliseum. Saw Dr. J and Billy Paultz and Melchioni, etc.

Continued to follow the Nets when they drafted Pearl Washington and then Derrick Coleman, but started to lose interest in the NBA as a whole. Too thuggy.

But I've always REALLY hated the Knicks and Knick fans, so I'm definitely interested in seeing the Brooklyn Nets start to dominate the Knicks over the next couple of years--crossing my fingers for Dwight Howard next year.

Killed me when the Knicks got Carmelo--one of my heroes in sports for my 2003 NCAA Championship.

_