Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You have to feel bad for Isaako Aaitui

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to feel bad for Isaako Aaitui

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...s-after-injury

If you saw Hard Knocks last nite and the mini feature on Isaako Aaitui. The guy we cut Marcus Dixon to add to the 53 man roster. Aaitui torn his ACL and MCL in his first jets practice on Monday.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't feel bad for him. He seemed devastated that he had to leave the Dolphins for the Jets. Sucks that he got injured, but that's the business.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    I don't feel bad for him. He seemed devastated that he had to leave the Dolphins for the Jets. Sucks that he got injured, but that's the business.
    I would like to see how you would react to having to pack up your young family and move 1000 miles away.

It is part of the business. But that doesn't mean we aren't human beings.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I would like to see how you would react to having to pack up your young family and move 1000 miles away.

This. He seemed pumped when he first heard the news (meaning he could care less who he was playing for, just happy to be on a teams 53). Then he comes home and realizes he has to abandon his family so he gets a little upset. Comes to NY to bust his butt and gets hurt in his first practice and instead of making a boatload of money (in comparison to whatever other job he would likely get) he is toast and may never play in the NFL. Feel bad for the guy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    This. He seemed pumped when he first heard the news (meaning he could care less who he was playing for, just happy to be on a teams 53). Then he comes home and realizes he has to abandon his family so he gets a little upset. Comes to NY to bust his butt and gets hurt in his first practice and instead of making a boatload of money (in comparison to whatever other job he would likely get) he is toast and may never play in the NFL. Feel bad for the guy.
    Don't the Jets have to pay him for the entire year now? Since he made the opening day roster, don't they have to place him on IR and pay him?

BTW - I do feel bad for him. For some of the superstars, the NFL is a glamorous life full of riches and stardom. For most of the guys like him, it is a vagabond life with physical pain and relatively low pay (given the average career).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Don't the Jets have to pay him for the entire year now? Since he made the opening day roster, don't they have to place him on IR and pay him?

BTW - I do feel bad for him. For some of the superstars, the NFL is a glamorous life full of riches and stardom. For most of the guys like him, it is a vagabond life with physical pain and relatively low pay (given the average career).
    no, he had an injury clause in his contract which took completely off the hook. Hopefully he had some insurance to cover an injury, but not sure a guy making league minimum (give or take) would get insurance.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Unfortunately for him, no.

Here comes the depressing part: Aaitui tore his anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament in his first practice with the Jets according to Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post. The Jets promptly waived him. They will not have to pay him any money because his contract had an injury waiver in it.

Players know what they are getting into when they join the NFL. Every once in a while, a story like this pops up that makes you wonder whether it's right how we treat guys like Aaitui. Whether we can do better.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...s-after-injury

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if I had a young family, I wouldn't act like I just got diagnosed with a terminal disease. My hypothetical family and I would make it work. He made an NFL roster and was going to make a nice income, 1000 miles away or not.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel really bad for the guy, it's an awful situation....but...as others have said he knew what he was getting into. The NFL is a tough, tough business.

Now....when the mainstream media D-bags like Flori-A-Hole, Fatcessa and Semini get a hold of this story and twist it into the Jets being a cruel and heartless organization (because none of the other teams in the NFL would have waived him )....at that point I'll probably stop feeling bad for him.

Just sayin...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post

Even if I had a young family, I wouldn't act like I just got diagnosed with a terminal disease. My hypothetical family and I would make it work. He made an NFL roster and was going to make a nice income, 1000 miles away or not.
    I guess we saw his reaction completely differently. You are entitled to your interpretation.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    I feel really bad for the guy, it's an awful situation....but...as others have said he knew what he was getting into. The NFL is a tough, tough business.

Now....when the mainstream media D-bags like Flori-A-Hole, Fatcessa and Semini get a hold of this story and twist it into the Jets being a cruel and heartless organization (because none of the other teams in the NFL would have waived him )....at that point I'll probably stop feeling bad for him.

Just sayin...
    Is the injury waiver a standard clause or is it a tool that Tanny and other GMs use when they want?

Was it in Baker's contract too? Would be interesting to find out.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Its the business they decide to enter.

Players could take job in their home towns, but don't. The game has too many pluses, more that makes up for having to move.

Someone pays me, as one of the bottom feeders in a company close to a mil, moving from FL to NJ is not a big deal.

And of course, play better, you don't ever have to move.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What in the hell is the NFLPA doing? A player gets hurt doing his job and he's not compensated? Jet or Patriot this isn't right and the league is wrong here. How does the NFL get away with not paying an injured worker?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the injury waiver a standard clause or is it a tool that Tanny and other GMs use when they want?
    On this guy he was already given a injury settlement from a previous injury and his previous agent had that clause in his contract.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    On this guy he was already given a injury settlement from a previous injury and his previous agent had that clause in his contract.
    Interesting that his agent would put it in. I can see why the Jets would want it in since he had a history.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    F 'em. I don't feel bad for him. I rarely feel bad for anyone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting that his agent would put it in. I can see why the Jets would want it in since he had a history.
    On HardKnocks, didn't he get banged up on one of the last plays of the Dolphins / C'boys game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    How much has he made in his career? Thatll determine my level of sympathy for him

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I do feel bad for any of these guys when they're injured though.

That sucks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI JET FAN View Post
    What in the hell is the NFLPA doing? A player gets hurt doing his job and he's not compensated? Jet or Patriot this isn't right and the league is wrong here. How does the NFL get away with not paying an injured worker?
    The NFLPA really should decertify. They are doing more harm than good for the players. In every negotiations, they get there hat handed to them by the owners.