Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ERIC SMITH OUT

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I know. But I am not sure where Bush fits in right now. He is a high safety and we are going to start Landry and Bell. Wilson is the nickel and Lankster will likely be the dime. I think Allen would be a better backup to Landry and Bell.

I wonder if Bush is going to be suiting up. So it might be all moot.
    Good points but I'm looking at it as Bush would play the same role Smith had in the sub packages like nickle and dime..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree completely. And as a result of everything you said, he was in a position to fail. They should have known after the first couple of games that he could not cover TEs man to man yet they continued to allow him to get abused, even when he was injured at the end of the year as well.

IMO, he should have been moved in the off season just like Hunter.
    I think Smith should have been let go. Especially since the rooks Allen & Bush looked good in OTA's. I would have been more than happy with them as the only backups going into the season.

Smith is a mostly wasted roster spot. And his $2M salary could have been put to good use elsewhere.

I've got to think Westoff was influential in the decision to keep Smith.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing.
    Can't be too bad.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I recall Pettine saying during the off season that you HATE Eric Smith at 900 plays a year but you LOVE him at 300 plays.

They knew what they had in him last year they just didnt have anyone else that was better.

Smith getting back to his situational 300 plays a year is going to be good for everyone.

Smith is a good player in the right role

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    I recall Pettine saying during the off season that you HATE Eric Smith at 900 plays a year but you LOVE him at 300 plays.

They knew what they had in him last year they just chose not to get anyone who was better.

Smith getting back to his situational 300 plays a year is going to be good for everyone.

Smith is a good player in the right role
    Fixed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Smith out?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Being on he filed on defense in the nfl was putting him in a position to fail. He simply is not fast enough to play in the league, end of story. He was in a position to succeed in two of his biggest blunder plays last year. The Cruz play and the Tebow play. Hey I liked the guys physical play and he was a big part in taking Welker out of the one game but other teams go after weak links and he is a weak link.

Watching him try to chase down Brent Celek down the middle of the field for a monster gain sealed it for me

Teams find him on 3rd downs......He literally cannot guard anyone....He's not a particularly good blitzer as a safety, he has zero ballhawk in him or big play ability......He can make a big hit and tackles well when players run right at him......That is it

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel bad for Smith. I think the coaches put him in position to fail time and time again last year. They should have known his limitations and adjusted. I think he was effective in his old role. Eerily similar to Wayne Hunter. I think his presence brings a dark cloud that is symbolic of last season's futility. Hopefully he gets healthy but I also hope he doesn't play much this year.
    Very well said. Very similar situations. Lets hope it continues in the direction that another one will follow the other off the team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    He should be 'out' as in unemployed.
    I second the motion!