Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets Tweets & Info 9/6

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Jets RapidReports ‏@CBSSportsNFLNYJ
    According to Rex Ryan, WR Chaz Schilens "looks like he's near full speed." Schilens had first a hamstring and then an ankle injury.

Rex said he's tired of the "circus" perception of the team. Said opponents will take the #Jets seriously.

Interesting coming from the sideshow ringmaster

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Personally, I think that could lead us to go a little bit unconventional:

Hurt starting TE
    Excellent Buffalo pass rush/Dline
    Weaker Buffalo LBs/Run defense
    Very weak backup TE and very new 3rd TE

Why not play a lot of 6 Olineman with smith in there, along with Kerley, Hill and Holmes and 1 RB?

Would allow us to have a strong power running game, get 3 WRs out for passes (along with possibly a RB), and give sanchez some max protect schemes.
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    That's exactly how I'd handle it. Jason Smith at Jumbo TE.
    Can only play so many snaps with 4 possible receiving targets. It makes it too easy for the opponent to cover everyone when they're not sending extra guys. A RB or TE that stays in to block can always leak out, so they still have to be accounted for by the defense. An extra lineman that leaks out poses little threat to the defense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Ground and pound team that had no blocking TE's and proceeded to not go out and get any blocking TE's in the off season.
    I guess you might as well tell Rex and Tanny to forfeit this game and the rest of the season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Can only play so many snaps with 4 possible receiving targets. It makes it too easy for the opponent to cover everyone when they're not sending extra guys. A RB or TE that stays in to block can always leak out, so they still have to be accounted for by the defense. An extra lineman that leaks out poses little threat to the defense.
    i'm sensing a lot of powell. mcknight isn't fully healthy and is used on returns. greene isn't a natural pass catcher. sparano's offenses in miami had rbs who caught screens, brown, williams, bush, etc. powell seems like he's first up for that role this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Po'uha in D-line drills. He looks okay.

#Jets practice: Keller working off to side, not in positional drills.

Dustin Keller and and Eric Smith are working with the trainers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Not a surprise here, but Rex Ryan said Thursday that backup S Eric Smith (hip, knee) won't play Sunday against the Bills.

"It's pretty much official," Ryan said.

This is a semi-significant loss for the Jets. Not only is Smith a valuable contributor on special teams, but he plays in different sub packages on defense. He plays in the 'Big Nickel," when they go to a three-safety look, and he plays in some dime packages on passing downs.

Against the Bills' spread offense, the Jets figure to be in nickel and dime most of the game. Smith's absence elevates rookie S Josh Bush, the only other backup safety on the 53-man roster.

Smith was injured in the first preseason game.

INJURY UPDATE: TE Dustin Keller (pulled hamstring), who didn't practice Wednesday, is unlikely to practice Thursday. He did some side work Wednesday and looked "decent," according to Ryan, who added: "I'm still hopefull he'll play, but we'll see." We should know more on NT Sione Po'uha (back) later in the day; he was limited Wednesday.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Woody Johnson says he's "very optimistic" about season

Woody Johnson won't comment about whether Tannenbaum's job is on the line. But says he is confident in this team

Woody Johnson said not every ticket sold for Sunday but it will not be blacked out
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-06-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Woody Johnson on perception that Jets are a circus: "We're deadly serious about what we do here."

Woody Johnson doesn't talk about Rex's contract, but reiterates confidence in head coach. Says Rex has had "unparalleled" success for NYJ HC
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-06-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex: We're better than you think

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- There he goes again.

Perhaps trying to foster an us-against-the-world mentality, Rex Ryan didn't pass up an opportunity Thursday to tell the so-called experts they're under-estimating the Jets.

"I think we have a better football team than people are giving us credit for," he said. "I also think our organization is a lot better than people are giving us credit for. The circus thing is kind of a little old for me. I think our record (28-20) says otherwise in the three years that we've been together."

"I'm not afraid to say it: I think this is going to be an outstanding football team, the best team we've had since I've been here. How that reflects on the record, I'm not sure. This team, this organization are headed in the right direction. I don't know if that's the national perspective, but it's my perspective."

When it was suggested that Ryan wants people to take the Jets seriously, he shook his head no.

"I promise you," he said, "our opponents will take us seriously, regardless of who it is."

HILL WILL START: There wasn't much doubt about this, but rookie WR Stephen Hill will start. He will become the first rookie receiver since Wayne Chrebet in 1995 to start the season opener. You're probably wondering about Keyshawn Johnson, the No. 1 overall pick in 1996. No, he didn't start the opener.

BACKFIELD DEPTH: Ryan declined to spell out his running-back depth chart, refusing to say whether Bilal Powell or Joe McKnight is the No. 2 behind Shonn Greene. Based on preseason reps, it's quite obvious that Powell is ahead of McKnight, both as the No. 2 back and as the third-down back.

Ryan said they drafted Powell (fourth round) last year with the intention that he'd replace LaDainian Tomlinson. And so he has.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dennis Waszak Jr. ‏@DWAZ73
    Woody Johnson thought his comment about never having enough Tebow "was a fairly humorous quote." Was trying to be funny, nothing more.

Owner Woody Johnson: “I think you have a lot of really good weapons… starting with the quarterback.” Yes, he was referring to Sanchez

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Owner Woody Johnson: “I think you have a lot of really good weapons… starting with the quarterback.” Yes, he was referring to Sanchez
    He said "you", not "we", followed by "really good weapons". I don't think he was talking about the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    In August, Woody Johnson "guaranteed" #Jets would sell out. Today, he said they won't be sold out on Sunday, but game won't be blacked out.

He's no Namath...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    In August, Woody Johnson "guaranteed" #Jets would sell out. Today, he said they won't be sold out on Sunday, but game won't be blacked out.

He's no Namath...
    He's Rex.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does Woody Johnson have more confidence in Rex Ryan or Mitt Romney? "I have confidence in both, quite frankly," Johnson said.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We'll find out what this team is made of early on with the first half of the schedule being what it is.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Less effusive about Tannenbaum: "I'm very optimistic and confident in this organization and this group of players..."

Woody: "I'm very conf in Rex Ryan. Just have to look at body of work. It's unparalleled in our history."

Johnson, citing his policy, declined comment on whether Rex/Tanny jobs are on line this season. Went on to praise Ryan, cont.

Woody Johnson addresses media. Said "definitely" enough weapons on offense to make playoffs: "Very gd weapons, starting w/ QB."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Smith started at TE in college before he moved to LT. I'd throw one to him early and then the defense would have to think about him for the rest of the game.

Also I'd be in favor of IR'ing Landolt and bringing that blocking TE from Utah State back on to the roster.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Less effusive about Tannenbaum: "I'm very optimistic and confident in this organization and this group of players..."

Woody: "I'm very conf in Rex Ryan. Just have to look at body of work. It's unparalleled in our history."

Johnson, citing his policy, declined comment on whether Rex/Tanny jobs are on line this season. Went on to praise Ryan, cont.

Woody Johnson addresses media. Said "definitely" enough weapons on offense to make playoffs: "Very gd weapons, starting w/ QB."
    tanny's fired mangini and schotty. he traded up for sanchez. if none of those hires pans out, why keep tanny? HC, OC and QB. i think tanny's fate depends on sanchez this year, not necessarily the playoffs. if sanchez imrpoves, tanny stays. if not tanny goes.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He said "you", not "we", followed by "really good weapons". I don't think he was talking about the Jets.
    He didn't want to sound like Demosthenes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you might as well tell Rex and Tanny to forfeit this game and the rest of the season.
    Nope but I will tell them when they have made an OBVIOUS error. Much like I told them two years ago that our safeties sucked. Much like I told them that RT was a massive problem that needed to be addressed last off season. Much like I told them that dumping Edwards and messing with our whole WR corp last year was a bad idea.

Don;t worry there are plenty of people to counteract the criticism threads with 'oh we rock, we iz awesome!, you are a terrible fan if you even question any move or non move we make!"