Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Mark's skillset the closest to Tony Romo's?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Mark's skillset the closest to Tony Romo's?

I feel they do play a similar game. Tony being much more advanced, obviously.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY State of Mind View Post
    let's hope Mark comes out looking as good as Rhomo did

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the Romo/Sanchez comparison a lot...except Mark has proven he can win some big games

Also note that Romo didn't start a game until he was 26 years old. Mark is 25.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So do I.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both are pretty athletic Qbs, Romo is much more accurate than sanchez is right now, and has proven he can carry an offense. Sanchez seems like he is better in the clutch.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tony did a great job avoiding the rush and getting the throw off accurately when he had the rush right in his face. Mark's biggest flaw IMO is not feeling the rush and moving in the pocket properly to avoid it. I like Mark alot and do think he can eventually end up in that tier below the elites in the league at QB, but he has a way to go before he looks like Romo did last night. Let's hope this is the year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very good comparison. Hopefully he can develop like Romo has. Except we know Mark has a much better clutch gene which is the one thing you CAN'T develop.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed in that as soon as the pocket breaks down they look to scramble and are prone to dumb throws and picks under pressure. Romo does make stuff happen outside the pocket but it's a mixed bag.

Sanchez seems to cower too quickly under pressure. That is my main gripe with him. I really want to see him stand in the pocket and get the throw off in the face of pressure. That is the biggest difference between him and QBs like the Manning brothers, Roethlisberger, Brady, and Rogers. They know they will get crushed but gets the big throw off. Look at the NFC Championship game, Eli took a beating but won.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    Agreed in that as soon as the pocket breaks down they look to scramble and are prone to dumb throws and picks under pressure. Romo does make stuff happen outside the pocket but it's a mixed bag.

Sanchez seems to cower too quickly under pressure. That is my main gripe with him. I really want to see him stand in the pocket and get the throw off in the face of pressure. That is the biggest difference between him and QBs like the Manning brothers, Roethlisberger, Brady, and Rogers. They know they will get crushed but gets the big throw off. Look at the NFC Championship game, Eli took a beating but won.
    Spot on post. The main issue with Sanchez is his inability to step into the throw with the pressure coming. Both Romo and Eli are quite adept at stepping in to their throws while under pressure. Hopefully, with Hunter gone the pressure will be less this season. I felt like last year Sanchez looked shell shocked.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The issue here is that Tony Romo came in undrafted, and had free reigns to make stuff happen under Parcells/Sparano because he was playing for the right to a job.

Sanchez came in with high expectations, a rookie HC, and a highly cerebral (to a fault) OC. Sanchez was asked not to lose games. Romo was asked to win games.

I actually think Romo is Sanchez's best comparison, and thought so while he was was leading the Trojans to their Rose Bowl season of '09. Both are athletic, mobile enough to scamper, have enough arm to make the necessary throws without wowing anyone, and are similar in build. They also have an uncanny ability to read a defense and switch to the right call, and to raise their accuracy while throwing on the run. These are all things we saw in Sanchez on the Trojans and his first two years in the league.

Unfortunately, Sanchez has had it drilled into since the Jax game last year that extending plays, taking risks, and running for gains are big no-nos in Schotty's O.

Hopefully, those lessons go away with Sparano taking over.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get your head checked.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post

I understand where this is coming from, but it seems a bit sensationalist. Don't forget some of the games Sanchez has won for us while taking beatings. The Browns, Steelers (reg season), and Lions in 2010, the Titans in '09. And yes, even the Steelers playoff game of 2010 and the ravens game last year that we lost...he was getting killed and still hung in there.

The big flash plays of that Ravens game caused people to forget that the few times Mark had time to finish his drop back, the Jets had a positive play. We just had no OLine as it was our first game without Mangold, and with a guy we picked up from the street the week before.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Similar that both throw bad INT's. As a poster stated on Sanchez's play at USC and today are different. His first year he looked more like Romo and had some Favre in him. As crazy as it sounds he had better anticipation with his throws and extended plays. Last season for whatever reason he lost a lot of his spunk. Big year for Sanchez to prove last season was a fluke...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish sanchez's release was as quick as Romo is, other than that an accuracy they are similar....both can make stuff happen with their feet....very mobile QB's....I would give the clutch gene to Sanchez...he's played well in so many 4th quarters and big games...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Romo is more of a gunslinger than Sanchez.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Sanchez is naturally that type of player. Watch him in his first season and against the Pats in that playoff game or against the Steelers. Also he has that clutch coolness that Romo lacks, everyone here believed if he got the ball back in that second title game he was gonna win it.

The offense should be catered to Mark Sanchez, Mark Sanchez should not be catering to the offense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Romo has a better skillset right now.
    Far more accurate, stronger arm too.

Where Sanchez is a game manager, who has avg'd about 200 yards/game.
    The Jets have called a lot of low risk plays with him as qb.

Romo is expected to do a lot more and has avg'd over 260 yards/game for every year of his career except his first year starting.

Last year, Despite less attempts, Romo had over 600 yards more throwing vs Sanchez.
    Last edited by Monsterxman; 09-06-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kdelgado View Post
    Sanchez is naturally that type of player. Watch him in his first season and against the Pats in that playoff game or against the Steelers. Also he has that clutch coolness that Romo lacks, everyone here believed if he got the ball back in that second title game he was gonna win it.

The offense should be catered to Mark Sanchez, Mark Sanchez should not be catering to the offense.
    Agreed, and he actually might be better than Romo on the run, although Romo does have the quicker release. Hopefully Sanchez gets that thrower mentality back a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Spot on post. The main issue with Sanchez is his inability to step into the throw with the pressure coming. Both Romo and Eli are quite adept at stepping in to their throws while under pressure. Hopefully, with Hunter gone the pressure will be less this season. I felt like last year Sanchez looked shell shocked.
    Another trait that was coached out of him, though by whom is up for debate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2foXcW9Tp_s

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like Mark to hit his stride early against the Bills DL, his footwork against the Texans delivering killer passes with Mario Williams and others breathing in his face was quite amazing really. He has to find that form and confidence early this season. I don't want to see Tebow out there for extended periods.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kdelgado View Post

The offense should be catered to Mark Sanchez, Mark Sanchez should not be catering to the offense
    IT should, but it never will with Rex at the reins.