Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Mark's skillset the closest to Tony Romo's?

Hopefully, with 3 years of starting experience and now playing under a supposedly more simplistic system, Sanchez can make some strides. With that said, i don't think he's going to be on Romo's level just yet.

Sanchez, statistically, in the last 3 years has been one of the least pressured QB's in the NFL and that's including last year's offense with WH at RT (those numbers I would assume were brought down by hunter's play yet he was still in the top 6? in that particular category.) Even with that protection, particularly in his first two years, his numbers still were pretty bad. Even more worrisome, statistically he's one of the least effective QB's when pressured.

To be honest I think he has the tools and has shown signs that he can take it to the next level; to give him the benefit of the doubt, I acknowledge his completion % has been increasing, he has had very little starting QB experience (college or pro), the previous offensive system might not have been a good fit etc. Granted, if the OL regresses, it will most likely stunt Sanchez's development. But even with a complete OL I just feel that it might take him some time to get the elite level.
    Last edited by Tonetime86; 09-06-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Agreed, and he actually might be better than Romo on the run, although Romo does have the quicker release. Hopefully Sanchez gets that thrower mentality back a bit.

Another trait that was coached out of him, though by whom is up for debate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2foXcW9Tp_s
    just watching highlights like that adds to my belief that this organization ruined sanchez.

They are, but our past O coordinator refused to use them. Sparano is old school ground and pound. We can only hope he actually does what Sh!tty refused to do. We can only hope.

I kind of view Sanchez as more of a Matt hasslebeck type.

Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    I kind of view Sanchez as more of a Matt hasslebeck type.
    Moving in the right direction.

At this point in time comparing Sanchez to Romo is like comparing Ryan to Lombardi.

I think Romo proved again last night that he's far sight better QB than Eli. Sanchez doesn't belong in the same sentence. If you think I'm wrong, take the comparison to ANY non-Jets NFL message board.

And for 2011 passing ratings: http://www.mortgageloancalculating.c...r_ratings.html

Romo was 4th in the league. Sanchez was 23rd.

I've always thought Romo would be a fit for the Jets if his situation in Dallas became untenable - but that's now an extremely remote possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    Agreed in that as soon as the pocket breaks down they look to scramble and are prone to dumb throws and picks under pressure. Romo does make stuff happen outside the pocket but it's a mixed bag.

Sanchez seems to cower too quickly under pressure. That is my main gripe with him. I really want to see him stand in the pocket and get the throw off in the face of pressure. That is the biggest difference between him and QBs like the Manning brothers, Roethlisberger, Brady, and Rogers. They know they will get crushed but gets the big throw off. Look at the NFC Championship game, Eli took a beating but won.
    Ever since Sanchez got destroyed in that Baltimore game, he's never been the same when it comes to standing tall in the pocket. I don't blame him, it was criminal the way he was getting cornholed in that game.

Veteran
    I was hoping for Rich Gannon, but I think Mark is closest to Jake Plummer.

Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post

At this point in time comparing Sanchez to Romo is like comparing Ryan to Lombardi.

I think Romo proved again last night that he's far sight better QB than Eli.
    Sanchez doesn't belong in the same sentence. If you think I'm wrong, take the comparison to ANY non-Jets NFL message board.

And for 2011 passing ratings: http://www.mortgageloancalculating.c...r_ratings.html

I've always thought Romo would be a fit for the Jets if his situation in Dallas became untenable - but that's now an extremely remote possibility.
    Did you even watch that game? Romo had great stats but did not look better then Eli. His WRs made some freakish catches and he was lucky that pick wasn't for a TD. Murrey had a big game because NY didn't even block him on 4 plays. Romo made a few bad passes that could have cost them bad, it just didn't. Eli was pressured on every play and still made some pretty good throws and 0 INTs. I think one play he had a 2 second drop back and still got the ball off. Yeah it wasn't his best game but I'd hardly say Romo was a far sight better. Slightly better maybe but I don't even think that is true. The Giants D gave that one away not Eli. The Wilson Fumble gave up one good drive and the Dallas O flat out controlled the clock with the run that 2nd half.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Lets hope not romo has been in the league 9 years and hasnt done dick.

I think the Romo comparison is an apt one, but I think the one QB in the NFL who reminds me most of Mark, when it comes to their size, mobility, play-action ability, release, footwork, etc....is Drew Brees.

Brees is obviously exponentially further along in his progression (although he actually had a worse first 3 years in the NFL, than Mark, to start his career) and is one of the best QB's in the NFL at reading defenses pre/post snap and exploiting their weaknesses (one of Mark's biggest flaws, currently).....but mechanically, I find them very very similar, and their footwork at it's best are some of the best in the NFL.

If only Tony Sparano was the offensive genius that Sean Payton is...

Jets Insider VIP
    If he gets pounded like he did last year more like David Carr circa Houston Texans....

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    I think the Romo comparison is an apt one, but I think the one QB in the NFL who reminds me most of Mark, when it comes to their size, mobility, play-action ability, release, footwork, etc....is Drew Brees.

Brees is obviously exponentially further along in his progression (although he actually had a worse first 3 years in the NFL, than Mark, to start his career) and is one of the best QB's in the NFL at reading defenses pre/post snap and exploiting their weaknesses (one of Mark's biggest flaws, currently).....but mechanically, I find them very very similar, and their footwork at it's best are some of the best in the NFL.

If only Tony Sparano was the offensive genius that Sean Payton is...
    I think the faster pace of the offense will help Sanchez in that regard. Instead of having to rush every time as the play clock winds down (the Shotty special), Sanchez actually had time to scan the D in the preseason.

Rookie

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post

I think Romo proved again last night that he's far sight better QB than Eli. Sanchez doesn't belong in the same sentence. If you think I'm wrong, take the comparison to ANY non-Jets NFL message board.

Are you serious? What, exactly, has Romo done, to this point? This "fantasy football" mentality is one of the things that's ruining the NFL..... like stats can tell the story. Who gives a sh*t what his stats were? When did wins and losses become secondary to stats? Oh yeah..... it was when people started rooting for players on other teams, because those players were on their fantasy team.

Everything that frustrates the sh*t out of us, about Sanchez, is what Romo STILL does. The difference..... Sanchez is entering is 4th year, Romo is in his 9th..... oh yeah, and Sanchez has WON in the playoffs.

By the way, do you think that it might just be possible that Bryant, Austin and Whitten have a little something to do with his rating?

And, how in the hell do you liken Romo to Lombardi? Lombardi won..... Romo has been the epitome of "all the talent, none of the results".

This years comparison will be "does Mark handoff better to his RBs than Romo." Ground and pound baby. And inside the 10, Tebow will take the reigns for some QB sneaks....awesome. Highest paid tickets for 1950s football......its a privelege

Romo has better receivers than Sanchez. All things are not equal when making this comparison. I would take Bryant or Austin (size and speed) over Holmes our best receiver. The same goes for Nicks and Cruz, although Cruz was a big letdown the other night. As far as Brees comparison I would take all of NO skill position over the Jets. Colston over Holmes, Graham over Keller, Sproles over Greene.
    This is pretty sad for Sanchez. I hope Hill will rise up and be that type of player for us. Has the talent just hope he isnt plagued by the dropsies.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I like the Romo/Sanchez comparison a lot...except Mark has proven he can win some big games
    Like his 0-3 performance down the stretch last year with the playoffs on the line?

Comparing Sanchez to Romo is absurd.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Like his 0-3 performance down the stretch last year with the playoffs on the line?

Good one.

It really is absurd to compare Romo and Sanchez.

I mean, 1 of them has only a single playoff victory and in 3 appearances has a total of 4 TDs, 2 INTs with a 59% completion %.

While the other has 4 playoff wins and has thrown 9 TDs with only 3 INTs in his postseason history, while completing 60% of his throws.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

I mean, 1 of them has only a single playoff victory and in 3 appearances has a total of 4 TDs, 2 INTs with a 59% completion %.

While the other has 4 playoff wins and has thrown 9 TDs with only 3 INTs in his postseason history, while completing 60% of his throws.
    Please, what do you think Romo would have done with the #1 defense and #1 running game?

Sanchez was just along for the ride in those playoff games.

Please, what do you think Romo would have done with the #1 defense and #1 running game?

Sanchez was just along for the ride in those playoff games.
    Is romo better now then sanchez, no question.

But what do I think Romo would have done? Im not sure since he is a notorious choke artist and we needed a game winning drive vs Indy where sanchez made 3 big throws.

"Along for the ride"....I must have missed when the defense threw 3 TDs vs BB's vaunted NE defense.