Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 99

Thread: Is Mark's skillset the closest to Tony Romo's?

  1. #41
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,411
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Like his 0-3 performance down the stretch last year with the playoffs on the line?

    Comparing Sanchez to Romo is absurd.
    No its not. It is VERY apparant that ROMO has real skills and is breaking out of his routine..BUT and until he wins a big game, he is tier 2.

    Is he better than Sanchez? Probably/maybe for right now but the year hasn't started, but ROMO comparisons to greatnesst remind me of the polish battleship joke... GREAT until put in water. THAT is ROMO until proven otherwise.

  2. #42
    The OP was talking about skill-set, not who is better at this point in his career. I see alot of the same skills in Sanchez that I see in Romo, and in a way I think Romo is what Sanchez could be if he had weapons and an offensive minded coach.

    They are the same size, have a similar delivery, both are mobile yet are not "running quarterbacks". They look very similar when you watch them. If you swapped them right now, I think each would put up similar numbers in the other's offense. Meaning Sanchez would be a star in Dallas, and Romo would be run out of town in New York.

  3. #43
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,953
    Romo and Sanchez are exactly the same except for the fact that Romo is awesome and sanchez is terrible.

  4. #44
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,953
    Is he better than Sanchez? Probably
    Probably? No, he is 100 times better then Sanchez. You Sanchez butt boys are completely delusional.

  5. #45
    Romo is 10x the QB Sanchez will ever be. Sanchez will be a backup in the NFL in two seasons.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    No its not. It is VERY apparant that ROMO has real skills and is breaking out of his routine..BUT and until he wins a big game, he is tier 2.
    For the record, I never said Romo was a tier 1 QB.

    There are only 3 tier 1 QB's in the NFL:

    Rodgers
    Brady
    Brees

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    The OP was talking about skill-set, not who is better at this point in his career. I see alot of the same skills in Sanchez that I see in Romo, and in a way I think Romo is what Sanchez could be if he had weapons and an offensive minded coach.

    They are the same size, have a similar delivery, both are mobile yet are not "running quarterbacks". They look very similar when you watch them. If you swapped them right now, I think each would put up similar numbers in the other's offense. Meaning Sanchez would be a star in Dallas, and Romo would be run out of town in New York.
    This.


    Apparently, that point went right by most people.


    Sanchez doesn't play anything like Matt Hasselbeck. Sanchez and Romo play the QB position in a similar manner. They have a Favre-like approach to the game without having Favre's arm.

    It's easy to forget that's how Sanchez prefers to play because of the "coaching" that was done over the course of the last season.

    Remember the preseason game against the Giants his rookie year, where he got chased across the field, threw one up for grabs, and Stuckey caught it?

    The play against the Titans where he went head first into the defender trying to score the TD, and nearly gave Rex a heart attack?

    The ill-advised, but down the field, throws in the abominable Buffalo game.

    The play against the Browns when Cotchery made the fantastic catch. (There were actually a number of them in that game)

    The INT he threw in the endzone against the Raiders last year, after scrambling out to his right.



    Hasselbeck is the guy that Rex wants QB-ing this team, but that's not the guy he's got in Sanchez. That's been one of the issues with Sanchez's development. The coaching staff has tried too hard to mold him, instead of just letting him grow. When we tried to move to a passing offense at the start of last year, it was a quick hit passing game. Again, not the kind of offense that lines up with Sanchez's natural inclinations as a QB.

    I think the ideal offense for Sanchez closely resembles what Norv Turner runs out in San Diego. A power running game paired with a passing game that attacks vertically. The Chargers throw the ball, but not the same way that New Orleans and New England do. It's not a spread offense. They use 3 wide sparingly, and almost never go 4 wide. It's most 2 WR, 1 TE, and a FB or 2 WR and 2 TE. The WRs push down the field in the intermediate to deep areas, the TEs operate in the short to intermediate range, and the backs are there for dumpoffs. The run:pass split would where it was from '08-'10 (53% pass, 47% run). Norv got too pass happy last year, though that had a lot to do with the fact that they were trailing most of the time.

    Sanchez will never be a precision passer like Brees, and he'll never make reads as quickly as Brady does. New Orleans and New England run systems built around the strengths of their respective QBs. Roethlisberger would not look as good playing in New England as he does in Pittsburgh, it would just be a bad fit. Same thing with Cutler (someone else that would be great in Norv's offense).
    Last edited by JB1089; 09-07-2012 at 09:18 AM.

  8. #48
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,229
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    For the record, I never said Romo was a tier 1 QB.

    There are only 3 tier 1 QB's in the NFL:

    Rodgers
    Brady
    Brees
    To me comparisons are always ridiculous, the only thing that matters is Super Bowl Rings. That's why Brady is the current tops ... given that Roethlisberger and E Manning have two rings each you have to include them in the conversation.

    It's not on style points, it's about winning and no, being a runner-up in the Super Bowl counts for nothing ... I care not for second place.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    To me comparisons are always ridiculous, the only thing that matters is Super Bowl Rings. That's why Brady is the current tops ... given that Roethlisberger and E Manning have two rings each you have to include them in the conversation.

    It's not on style points, it's about winning and no, being a runner-up in the Super Bowl counts for nothing ... I care not for second place.
    Super Bowl rings are the ultimate goal in a team sport.

    Super Bowl rings are not the way you evaluate overall talent as a QB.

    Would you take Big Ben or Eli over Rodgers, Brady or Brees?

  10. #50
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    2,197
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    For the record, I never said Romo was a tier 1 QB.

    There are only 3 tier 1 QB's in the NFL:

    Rodgers
    Brady
    Brees
    Manning? (peyton not eli)

  11. #51
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    2,197
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    This.


    Apparently, that point went right by most people.


    Sanchez doesn't play anything like Matt Hasselbeck. Sanchez and Romo play the QB position in a similar manner. They have a Favre-like approach to the game without having Favre's arm.

    It's easy to forget that's how Sanchez prefers to play because of the "coaching" that was done over the course of the last season.

    Remember the preseason game against the Giants his rookie year, where he got chased across the field, threw one up for grabs, and Stuckey caught it?

    The play against the Titans where he went head first into the defender trying to score the TD, and nearly gave Rex a heart attack?

    The ill-advised, but down the field, throws in the abominable Buffalo game.

    The play against the Browns when Cotchery made the fantastic catch. (There were actually a number of them in that game)

    The INT he threw in the endzone against the Raiders last year, after scrambling out to his right.



    Hasselbeck is the guy that Rex wants QB-ing this team, but that's not the guy he's got in Sanchez. That's been one of the issues with Sanchez's development. The coaching staff has tried too hard to mold him, instead of just letting him grow. When we tried to move to a passing offense at the start of last year, it was a quick hit passing game. Again, not the kind of offense that lines up with Sanchez's natural inclinations as a QB.

    I think the ideal offense for Sanchez closely resembles what Norv Turner runs out in San Diego. A power running game paired with a passing game that attacks vertically. The Chargers throw the ball, but not the same way that New Orleans and New England do. It's not a spread offense. They use 3 wide sparingly, and almost never go 4 wide. It's most 2 WR, 1 TE, and a FB or 2 WR and 2 TE. The WRs push down the field in the intermediate to deep areas, the TEs operate in the short to intermediate range, and the backs are there for dumpoffs. The run:pass split would where it was from '08-'10 (53% pass, 47% run). Norv got too pass happy last year, though that had a lot to do with the fact that they were trailing most of the time.

    Sanchez will never be a precision passer like Brees, and he'll never make reads as quickly as Brady does. New Orleans and New England run systems built around the strengths of their respective QBs. Roethlisberger would not look as good playing in New England as he does in Pittsburgh, it would just be a bad fit. Same thing with Cutler (someone else that would be great in Norv's offense).
    Bolded for emphasis. Mark's skillset does not align with our coaches philosophy. 80% of the QBs success relies on the Coaching staff's ability to teach them correctly.

  12. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Manning? (peyton not eli)
    If he returns to the Manning of old, absolutely.

  13. #53
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,953
    Would you take Big Ben or Eli over Rodgers, Brady or Brees?
    Regular season. Id take Brady, Rodgers, Brees.

    In the playoffs and on Super Bowl Sunday, Id take Eli.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Manning? (peyton not eli)
    The 4 greatest things to happen to Brady lover boys: Peyton's neck surgeries.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Regular season. Id take Brady, Rodgers, Brees.

    In the playoffs and on Super Bowl Sunday, Id take Eli.
    Real football insights there.

    I'm sure you were saying the same thing in week 5 of 2007 when Eli was being run out of town.

  16. #56
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,953
    I'm sure you were saying the same thing in week 5 of 2007 when Eli was being run out of town.
    Why are we discussing 5 years ago? What would you have said about Rodgers in 2007? He was a back up qb.

    The fact is that when the playoffs roll around, Eli has beaten Brady twice in the Super Bowl, and beat Rodgers last year in his own building. So I will take Eli.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Why are we discussing 5 years ago? What would you have said about Rodgers in 2007? He was a back up qb.

    The fact is that when the playoffs roll around, Eli has beaten Brady twice in the Super Bowl, and beat Rodgers last year in his own building. So I will take Eli.
    OK, thanks. Captain Obvious.

  18. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The fact is that when the playoffs roll around, Eli has beaten Brady twice in the Super Bowl, and beat Rodgers last year in his own building. So I will take Eli.
    And the majority of Jets fans think Sanchez's 2 WC and 2 Division round wins are in the same category as what Eli did.

  19. #59
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,608
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    And the majority of Jets fans think Sanchez's 2 WC and 2 Division round wins are in the same category as what Eli did.
    Not the majority...just the vocal minority.

    And if I had one game on the line for the ring, there is no way I would pick Eli over Brady, Rodgers or Brees. No question he threw some great passes in his SBs but I would go with any of those top three over any other QB in the league if it all came down to one game. You seem to be forgetting how amazing the other guys were in their games:

    Eli: 19/34, 255 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT (decent game)
    Eli: 30/40, 296 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT (nice game)
    Brees: 32/39, 288 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT (nicer game)
    Rodgers: 24/39, 304 yds, 3 TD, 0 INT (nicer game - against a great PIT D)
    Brady: [censored but you know what he can do]

  20. #60
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,772
    Schefter...the only member of the media that hasn't buried Sanchez before the season even starts...

    9. Patience, please: Nobody is saying Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez is elite. But he should hardly be the maligned quarterback he has been this offseason and preseason, either. At this stage of his career, Sanchez's stats exceed the ones Eli Manning posted during his first three seasons. Sanchez has a .574 winning percentage, compared with the .513 that Manning had after his first three seasons. Sanchez has completed 55.3 percent of his passes, compared with Manning's 54.1. Sanchez has a 55-51 touchdowns-to-interceptions ratio, compared with Manning's 54-44. And Sanchez has won four road playoff games, whereas Manning didn't win any playoff games in his first three seasons. Sanchez hasn't been a Pro Bowl quarterback, but he hasn't been bad either, and his career is still young. New York forgets how it once questioned whether Manning could be elite for the Giants. Now it questions and, more often, criticizes Sanchez, wondering whether he can make the same jump Manning did.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us