Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is Mark's skillset the closest to Tony Romo's?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Evelyn Wood would be ashamed of you.

_
    You done yet?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    You done yet?
    Now I am

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    3:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trbmAshmLAM

8:34 - No safety help on this one, but it's a longer throw than the one against the Texans or the pass Eli threw in the Super Bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2hRIEeh5KQ

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    Moving in the right direction.

At this point in time comparing Sanchez to Romo is like comparing Ryan to Lombardi.

I think Romo proved again last night that he's far sight better QB than Eli. Sanchez doesn't belong in the same sentence. If you think I'm wrong, take the comparison to ANY non-Jets NFL message board.

And for 2011 passing ratings: http://www.mortgageloancalculating.c...r_ratings.html

Romo was 4th in the league. Sanchez was 23rd.

I've always thought Romo would be a fit for the Jets if his situation in Dallas became untenable - but that's now an extremely remote possibility.
    Like his 0-3 performance down the stretch last year with the playoffs on the line?

Comparing Sanchez to Romo is absurd.
    Forest for the trees, boys? The topic is about skillsets, not Statz™. In that regard, they compare fairly well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Forest for the trees, boys? The topic is about skillsets, not Statz™. In that regard, they compare fairly well.
    How unusual for people to take a remark out of context, and then blow it out of proportion.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Not the majority...just the vocal minority.

And if I had one game on the line for the ring, there is no way I would pick Eli over Brady, Rodgers or Brees. No question he threw some great passes in his SBs but I would go with any of those top three over any other QB in the league if it all came down to one game. You seem to be forgetting how amazing the other guys were in their games:

Eli: 19/34, 255 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT (decent game)
    Eli: 30/40, 296 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT (nice game)
    Brees: 32/39, 288 yds, 2 TD, 0 INT (nicer game)
    Rodgers: 24/39, 304 yds, 3 TD, 0 INT (nicer game - against a great PIT D)
    Brady: [censored but you know what he can do]
    What Eli did last year in the playoffs and Superbowl was the most clutch qb play I've ever seen since Montana. 9 Tds - 1 Int...

Anyone can do it for one game, but he did it for 4:

Beat a good Atlanta team, a great defense in SF (was getting destroyed that game), GB (Aaron Rodgers), and outdueled Brady for the 2nd time in a row in a row in the Superbowl.

I've yet to see him rattled, same can't be said of the other guys you mention.

He has one more clutch playoff run and Super Bowl win and who knows where people will rank him at the end of his career.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    LOL, Tex, you have to do better than that.

Tony Romo went 1-4 down the stretch last year with the playoffs on the line, totally blowing the division.

Your comeback should've been: "Yeah, Sanchez is just like Romo, blowing the season with the playoffs on the line last year."

You're slipping, ol' man.
    Tony Romo played pretty well in those games. Sanchez played horribly, for the most part.

As far as their skill sets, I don't think they're all that identical.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please see nycdan's post.
    So this conversation is clearly not for me , as I don't give a fiddler's elbow for Dan Marinos's HOF career. I only care about superbowls. Likewise I don't about having the best defensive player/cb in the league ... it's hogwash, I'll sleep better when someone can do for the Jets what Joe Namath did, win a Super Bowl. The rest is for stat geeks and lonely bathelors.
    Last edited by Gangrene; 09-07-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Tony Romo played pretty well in those games. Sanchez played horribly, for the most part.

As far as their skill sets, I don't think they're all that identical.
    Sorry, detective, but my post was to critique Tex's trolling attempt, not to provide a substantive analysis of the similarities and differences between Sanchez and Romo.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Sorry, detective, but my post was to critique Tex's trolling attempt, not to provide a substantive analysis of the similarities and differences between Sanchez and Romo.
    Whoa, where have I trolled in this thread?

Come on SMC.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alex Smith, Dalton and Locker are all more of a Romo type than Sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    So this conversation is clearly not for me , as I don't give a fiddler's elbow for Dan Marinos's HOF career. I only care about superbowls. Likewise I don't about having the best defensive player/cb in the league ... it's hogwash, I'll sleep better when someone can do for the Jets what Joe Namath did, win a Super Bowl. The rest is for stat geeks and lonely bathelors.
    Fantasy football guys drive me nuts, like of a sudden stats are equal to wins. That is why DWC drove me nuts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whoa, where have I trolled in this thread?

Come on SMC.
    That Romo comment was a troll attempt. That was the only one I was refering to. I was not commenting on the rest of the discussion.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post

8:34 - No safety help on this one, but it's a longer throw than the one against the Texans or the pass Eli threw in the Super Bowl.

I don't know why you waste your time dignifying their response, particularly TX.

BTW, the throw you referenced in the Titans game is almost identical to Eli's on the SB game winning drive.
    Last edited by Maury77; 09-08-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post

Nobody can ruin a darn good QB like the Jets. Pathetic!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    What Eli did last year in the playoffs and Superbowl was the most clutch qb play I've ever seen since Montana. 9 Tds - 1 Int...

Anyone can do it for one game, but he did it for 4:

Beat a good Atlanta team, a great defense in SF (was getting destroyed that game), GB (Aaron Rodgers), and outdueled Brady for the 2nd time in a row in a row in the Superbowl.

I've yet to see him rattled, same can't be said of the other guys you mention.

He has one more clutch playoff run and Super Bowl win and who knows where people will rank him at the end of his career.
    You cannot compare QBs head to head in a one-game scenario. They are not playing the same defenses. While Rodgers and Brady were facing the best defensive front in football and under constant pressure, Eli was facing the 31st and 32nd ranked pass defenses in the league. In fact, Green Bay's pass D was historically the worst of all-time in terms of yardage given up. Had Rodgers and Brady been able to face the Ds Eli got to face, they would have shredded them far worse....

Eli's record when his D gives up over 20 points in the playoffs is 0-3. In Rodgers 2 playoff losses, his D gave up on average 44.5 PPG.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    You cannot compare QBs head to head in a one-game scenario. They are not playing the same defenses. While Rodgers and Brady were facing the best defensive front in football and under constant pressure, Eli was facing the 31st and 32nd ranked pass defenses in the league. In fact, Green Bay's pass D was historically the worst of all-time in terms of yardage given up. Had Rodgers and Brady been able to face the Ds Eli got to face, they would have shredded them far worse....

Eli's record when his D gives up over 20 points in the playoffs is 0-3. In Rodgers 2 playoff losses, his D gave up on average 44.5 PPG.
    Very good point. People tend to forget that football is a team sport. The Giants D, particularly their front line, in the playoffs, put eli in a position to win on a relatively consistent basis.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonetime86 View Post
    Very good point. People tend to forget that football is a team sport. The Giants D, particularly their front line, in the playoffs, put eli in a position to win on a relatively consistent basis.
    Yep, the QB may be the most important individual contributor, but can only do so much. Romo for instance takes a ton of heat for lack of playoff success. But in his last playoff loss to the Vikings, Favre had like 350 yards passing and 4 TDs against the Cowboys D. No elite QB has even sniffed a game like that against Eli and the Giants D during their 2 SB runs. In fact, in any of the Giants 8 playoff wins during their 2 title runs, has the opposing QB in any of those games had a strong game? I don't believe so. And they faced multiple future HoF QBs.

Sanchez has playoff wins, but you'd be hard pressed to tell me Rivers, Palmer, Brady, or Peyton played well against the Jets D in those games. They all had subpar games. Peyton had the closest thing to a good game, but even he was checking down to a run on a pivotal late 3rd down play in our win.

Football is the ultimate team sport, even if many judge QBs almost solely by team success...

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Ridiculous proposition

Mark Monkey freezes like a deer in the headlights of a car , when he is
    under pressure. Tony Homo reacts like he has eyes in the back of his head
    in the same situation