Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What are the keys for Sanchez this Sunday?

Jets Insider VIP
    I think the "don't turn the ball over" meme is overrated.

Romo threw an INT on Wednesday night, but no one cares because he threw 3 TDs.

It's about scoring TDs, whether he throws it, runs it in, or a RB runs it in. TD scoring drives. If Sanchez leads the offense on TD drives to turnover ratio of at least 2:1, the Jets should be fine. In other words, for every turnover, Sanchez should be leading the offense on at least 2 TD drives.
    Last edited by SMC; 09-07-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Mark needs to fix the lack of 1st down productivity or we'll continue to get dragged thru the playoffs as the wild card. He also needs to drastically improve his ability to see the OPEN receivers mid to down field. I can still see a wide open Dustin Keller flailing in the end zone with Mark not having a clue.
    Last edited by ColonelForbin; 09-07-2012 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    A good recipe to lose.

If the Jets do not consistently stretch the field, and get the Bills safeties off the LOS the Jets offense will fail.

And for everyone saying "don't turn the ball over", that is nonsensical. You cannot have a QB playing in fear of turning the ball over, he has to be encouraged to make plays, and if he throws an INT get it back the next series.

Trying to not throw picks is like the average golfer saying "just don't hit it in the water" which pretty much guarantees he will.
    I think you're missing the point. No one's saying Mark should be frozen in fear of throwing a TO -- they're simply saying it's a "key" to winning the game.

Just like your golf example. The golfer shouldn't obsess about the water, but if he finds himself there a few times over the course of the round there's very little chance he's leaving a winner . . .

The key to this game and many more is the Jets oline blocking schemes. They absolutely MUST use TE's and RB's to chip the DE's. I was amazed that in preseason we only saw that a bit at the end, Hunter might still be here if they helped the guy at all.

I agree with the people talking about a fast start. A controlled running game offense works when you are up by 10, not when you are down by 10.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    Mark needs to:
    -- fix our pathetic 3 and out downs, if we don't get the 1st lack of first down production, we'll continue to back into the playoffs as the wild card, heavy on the wildcat
    While a lot of posts have given specific "keys", this is the best general one.

If Mark can just sustain drives, NO MATTER HOW HE GETS IT DONE, we'll have better field position, more scoring chances, and wear down their defense while resting ours.

I don't care if it's by ground, through the air, by Tebow -- just convert. We do that and I have trouble seeing us lose Sunday . . .
    Last edited by OCCH; 09-07-2012 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I think the "don't turn the ball over" meme is overrated.

Romo threw an INT on Wednesday night, but no one cares because he threw 3 TDs.

It's about scoring TDs, whether he throws it, runs it in, or a RB runs it in. TD scoring drives. If Sanchez leads the offense on TD drives to turnover ratio of at least 2:1, the Jets should be fine. In other words, for every turnover, Sanchez should be leading the offense on at least 2 TD drives.
    If any of us expected mark to throw 3 TD's we wouldn't care about the big INT so much. Of course having Austin, Bryant, Witten and Murray would help with that too so we're going to have to pick our spots wisely

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    3) Take advantage of easy opportunities. By my way of thinking, the Jets defense is going to get after Ryan Fitzpatrick and provide Sanchez with some short field opportuinities. Sanchez MUST take advantage of this and put easy points on the board.
    This. x1000.

Help the defense out by converting turnovers into points. Short field position into points. It would also give the defense confidence too if they see their efforts aren't being wasted. Like it was so many times last year.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    This. x1000.

Help the defense out by converting turnovers into points. Short field position into points. It would also give the defense confidence too if they see their efforts aren't being wasted. Like it was so many times last year.
    like when the giants had the ball first and goal but settled for a fg. the jets have to punch that in.

Play it safe.
    Ground game. Wildcat. Short passes. Stay away from down the field - that's interception time or sack time. Burn clock the whole game.
    People, it's the Buffalo Bills. They stink. Forget hype from ESPN and other shows. The Bills have very little. But the Jets can't afford mistakes.
    Jets should win by 10 minimum.

Jets Insider VIP
    1. Staying upright. This means using max protect formations and chipping Williams/Anderson with a FB or TE. If the o-line is getting overmatched, limit the seven-step drops.

2. Utilize the hot read. This would likely be Keller, who's always been a safety blanket for Sanchez. If the rush is intense, he needs to quickly dump it off and take what he can get.

3. Pull the trigger. I assume Hill will draw Gilmore and he'll probably get a few one-on-one opportunities. Don't be afraid to let it fly downfield and see if Hill can't make something happen with his blazing speed.

4. No back-breaking turnovers. As SMC said, an INT wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, preferably if the Jets were past mid-field. However, if they're backed up in their own end of the field and Sanchez tosses another lob to a defensive lineman, it's trouble.

5. Put the ball in the ****ing endzone. 'Nuff said.

Hall Of Fame
    home of the hot guy in my avatar.. oh baby!
    Not to get pulled in place of the best football player ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Play it safe.
    Ground game. Wildcat. Short passes. Stay away from down the field - that's interception time or sack time. Burn clock the whole game.
    People, it's the Buffalo Bills. They stink. Forget hype from ESPN and other shows. The Bills have very little. But the Jets can't afford mistakes.
    Jets should win by 10 minimum.
    I disagree, by not even attempting to go down field you are playing right into other teams hands, just like last year. This team needs to take some shots down field and be successful the odd time. It is one thing to have the other team stack 8 in the box but we make lousy to mediocre DB's look alike pro bowlers because they jump all over our short passing game and gamble all the time. They know we can't go deep.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I disagree, by not even attempting to go down field you are playing right into other teams hands, just like last year. This team needs to take some shots down field and be successful the odd time. It is one thing to have the other team stack 8 in the box but we make lousy to mediocre DB's look alike pro bowlers because they jump all over our short passing game and gamble all the time. They know we can't go deep.
    The first play from scrimmage needs to be play action, a stutter step and go by Hill and Sanchez throwing the ball as far as he can to the outside. On the sideline so it's either Hill or no one.

And I don't care if he overthrows him by 10 yards.

_

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    The first play from scrimmage needs to be play action, a stutter step and go by Hill and Sanchez throwing the ball as far as he can to the outside. On the sideline so it's either Hill or no one.

_
    That's what I'm talking about.

Jets Insider VIP
    What are the keys for Sanchez this Sunday?
    No crying n the sidelines when he is replaced by tebow.

_
    Agreed, you don't even always have to connect, just have your WR blow by the Db so he knows he has to respect that play at least a bit. If we have any kind of down field game the Qb can afford to not be exact all the time in the short passing game. There is no way the other team should be glued to our receivers when they run patterns less than 10 yards.

All League

_
    Agreed, you don't even always have to connect, just have your WR blow by the Db so he knows he has to respect that play at least a bit. If we have any kind of down field game the Qb can afford to not be exact all the time in the short passing game. There is no way the other team should be glued to our receivers when they run patterns less than 10 yards.
    Won't happen, but I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    Won't happen, but I totally agree.

I agree with this as well, that is why I am a firm pessimist about our offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBensAngel7 View Post
    Not to get pulled in place of the best football player ever!!
    Go away.

Hall Of Fame
    Isn't this what Namath did in the SB?

Said it was the most important pass--even though an incompletion-- he threw in the game, if I recall.

We need to go max-protect and chuck it down the sideline FIRST OFFENSIVE PLAY.

_
    Last edited by JStokes; 09-07-2012 at 01:46 PM.