Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An embarrassing request....

All League

An embarrassing request....

I've debated posting this for a while, because quite frankly, it's somewhat embarrassing, but I'm tired of being in the dark about a subject I shouldn't be.

I'm in my late 20's and haven't voted since I have been of age. The main reason is, my understanding of political issues and how they would impact me is very limited at best, and feel my vote would be counter productive if I was going off of who I thought came across the best on television.

With the presedential campaign hitting full throttle, I really would like to educate myself as much as possible so I can make an educated decision on the best candidate. I've always assumed I would allign with a Democrat, more so because socially I would skew to more liberal views than conservative ones, but that's about the extent of my understanding.

My question/request is this, can anyone point me to a good resource online that may put issues in terms that a "beginner" could understand. I want to understand the the issues at least at a level where I can understand what they would mean to me.

This post may get me mocked and make me look like a rube, but I don't have any people in my inner circle that are big on politics either. This seems to be an active part of the website, and at least have people that have thoughtful input on the subject, regardless of which "side" of the debate they are on.

Thanks in advance.

Jets Insider VIP
    Read what JetPotato, Chief2000, Warfish, Quantum, Parafly, Doggin post.

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post

Was that a ..... compliment?

Can not process.

All Pro
    Yes. Unquestioningly do what a motley crew of complete, drug-addled liberal/crypto-liberal self-hating, America-hating strangers here suggest and ignore your own instincts and intellect.

If you heed the consensus of misguided uninformed others not only will your inner circle disrespect you but your outer circle will too...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Yes. Unquestioningly do what a motley crew of complete, drug-addled liberal/crypto-liberal self-hating, America-hating strangers here suggest and ignore your own instincts and intellect.

If you heed the consensus of misguided uninformed others not only will your inner circle disrespect you but your outer circle will too...
    I didn't ask for people to give me their personal political opinions to base my opinion off of, I ask for good sources to gather information.

Based on your response, you seem to be what I don't want to be, someone who talks like they have a deep unterstanding but ultimately don't kow jack s***.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    I didn't ask for people to give me their personal political opinions to base my opinion off of, I ask for good sources to gather information.

Based on your response, you seem to be what I don't want to be, someone who talks like they have a deep unterstanding but ultimately don't kow jack s***.
    Don't get on my case kid, somebody gave you bad poop on who to consult and I'm just setting you straight.

You are correct about my deep understanding.

However, you are the cornfed rube who says they dont know sh!t from shinola, hence your admitted lack of understanding and seeking of info here, 2/3 of whom are libs/crypto-libs who couldnt spell CAT if you spotted them the C and the A.

What "sources" do you need? How about opening your eyes and seeing all the shuttered local businesses and laid off friends and family and figuring whats in place now in the WH aint working....

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post

You forget me Brother Plumber?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Don't get on my case kid, somebody gave you bad poop on who to consult and I'm just setting you straight.

You are correct about my deep understanding.

However, you are the cornfed rube who says they dont know sh!t from shinola, hence your admitted lack of understanding and seeking of info here, 2/3 of whom are libs/crypto-libs who couldnt spell CAT if you spotted them the C and the A.

What "sources" do you need? How about opening your eyes and seeing all the shuttered local businesses and laid off friends and family and figuring whats in place now in the WH aint working....
    Thanks for the input.

someone who talks like they have a deep unterstanding but ultimately don't kow jack s***.
    Question is, do you want a "deep understanding" ? Or do you just want someone to boil down candidates positions, and then you choose ?

I mean, if you want a "deep understanding", I'd start by reading the Federalist Papers to get an understanding on the intended nature of the Federal government and what kind of power/level of control it was to have. (i.e. that it was supposed to be limited in scope to it's enumerated powers)

I'd then go and research the battles between the Jeffersonians and the Hamiltonians over the scope/reach/authority of the government.

Then, with an understanding of exactly why and how the Founding Fathers meant to place severe restrictions on the authority and power of the Federal government, you could make a somewhat informed decision as to whom you wanted to vote for.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks for the input.
    See how quick this stuff is to pick up?

I've debated posting this for a while, because quite frankly, it's somewhat embarrassing, but I'm tired of being in the dark about a subject I shouldn't be.

I'm in my late 20's and haven't voted since I have been of age. The main reason is, my understanding of political issues and how they would impact me is very limited at best, and feel my vote would be counter productive if I was going off of who I thought came across the best on television.

With the presedential campaign hitting full throttle, I really would like to educate myself as much as possible so I can make an educated decision on the best candidate. I've always assumed I would allign with a Democrat, more so because socially I would skew to more liberal views than conservative ones, but that's about the extent of my understanding.

My question/request is this, can anyone point me to a good resource online that may put issues in terms that a "beginner" could understand. I want to understand the the issues at least at a level where I can understand what they would mean to me.

This post may get me mocked and make me look like a rube, but I don't have any people in my inner circle that are big on politics either. This seems to be an active part of the website, and at least have people that have thoughtful input on the subject, regardless of which "side" of the debate they are on.

Thanks in advance.
    Unfortunately, there's no real clearinghouse for this stuff that I know of - though http://www.ontheissues.org/default.htm is a good place to see, briefly, what various candidates have said on various issues - and even if there was, there would likely be bias to worry about. At a basic level, the various issues aren't all that hard to understand, but few issues are truly about the "basic" level. The best thing you can do is pick an issue and doggedly seek out information regarding it from a variety of sources, coming to your own conclusions - then lather, rinse, repeat on an issue by issue basis. If you want to ask about any specific issue, I'll happily give you my take - just remember that it's anything but authoritative.

All League
    http://www.politifact.com/

That website is a nice resource if you hear something and you think "is that true?".

It's hard to get a clear picture of exactly what's going on, ya have sift through multiple news sources. Always thought the Wall Street Journal was well written, fwiw.

Stay away from MSNBC, FoxNews and any talk radio of any stripe.

Good luck.
    Last edited by SafetyBlitz; 09-06-2012 at 10:33 PM.

All League
    Don't pigeon hole yourself into being a Republican or Democrat. As Chris Rock said:

Everybody's so busy wanting to be down with the gang. "I'm conservative", "I'm liberal", "I'm conservative". Bull****! Be a ****ing person! Lis-ten! Let it swirl around your head. Then form your opinion. No normal, decent person is one thing, okay? I've got some **** I'm conservative about, I've got some **** I'm liberal about. Crime, I'm conservative. Prostitution, I'm liberal!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Thanks in advance.
    Good for you man. Honestly, the fact that you care enough to NOT vote until you have a firm grasp on what you would be voting for puts you ahead of probably about 40% of the electorate. No one knows what the **** they vote for and yet they do. I'm glad to see you don't take your constitutional right for granted.

Read 1984 first. Then try to read some political theory of the past and American history unfiltered by our crappy current media. you'll probably find after that that you're critical thinking skills are good enough to have a nuanced view of things.

Then start reading an array of current political sources; for hard left you should read Noam Chomsky and howard Zinn and get current info from places like zmag.org and Alternet; for liberal to more centrist Dem info go to The Nation, HuffPo, read Dershowitz, DailyKos, NYTimes, Andrew Sullivan, Paul Krugman etc.; for centrist to right read the Goldwater Book, Drudgereport, Weekly Standard, The Wall Street Journal, The New Republic etc.; and for hard right go to WND.com, Townhall.com, Anne Coulter and the radio.

After doing the first part you should be able to quickly see which of the latter 4 general camps resonates with you the best.
    Last edited by JetsFan24; 09-07-2012 at 12:40 AM.

http://www.moonbattery.com

Voting shouldn't be about what's best for you personally it should be about what's best for the Country. They may well be the same but they might not be?

If you're in your 20's you should join the Democratic Party, the chicks are a little hotter and you don't have to worry, they have protection. Additionally in your 20's you should be a liberal and optimistic in general that you can belong to movements that can impact the lives of people less fortunate then yourself.

As you get older and more cynical, maybe a little smarter and realize you can't impact the lives of others by giving them free stuff become unaffiliated from both parties. Vote for Republican Presidents and Democrats for Congress and the Senate. Feel free to date both Democrats and Republican women. Women in their 30's tend to be lots of fun regardless of political affiliation.

When you get into your mid 50's and hopefully have collected some assets and believe you actually had something to do with that success you can register as a Republican.

Older Republican women tend to be hotter than older Democratic women. They have more time to put in at the gym and money to invest in their general care and apperance.

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Voting shouldn't be about what's best for you personally it should be about what's best for the Country. They may well be the same but they might not be?

If you're in your 20's you should join the Democratic Party, the chicks are a little hotter and you don't have to worry, they have protection. Additionally in your 20's you should be a liberal and optimistic in general that you can belong to movements that can impact the lives of people less fortunate then yourself.

As you get older and more cynical, maybe a little smarter and realize you can't impact the lives of others by giving them free stuff become unaffiliated from both parties. Vote for Republican Presidents and Democrats for Congress and the Senate. Feel free to date both Democrats and Republican women. Women in their 30's tend to be lots of fun regardless of political affiliation.

When you get into your mid 50's and hopefully have collected some assets and believe you actually had something to do with that success you can register as a Republican.

Older Republican women tend to be hotter than older Democratic women. They have more time to put in at the gym and money to invest in their general care and apperance.
    As the saying goes, "If you're young and Republican, you have no heart; if you're old and Democrat, you have no brain" . . .

I know the perfect website, it's called "Google".

You can use it to find information without having to embarrass yourself or those eager to wipe your ignorant behind.

All League
    Both parties/candidates suck...same circus different clowns.

/lesson