Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFP: PlaybooK: What will the Jets show with Tebow?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

NFP: PlaybooK: What will the Jets show with Tebow?

Looking at some possible Xs and Os with the QB. Matt Bowen

We know the Jets are going to insert Tim Tebow into the game this Sunday vs. the Bills, but how will offensive coordinator Tony Sparano utilize his skill set at the QB position? Today, let’s discuss two possible schemes I could see New York carrying in the game plan when the ball is in the red zone: “QB Power” and “Swap Boot.”

Take a look at Xs and Os on the chalkboard and then we will break down some key coaching points…

1. QB Power
    Personnel: Ace (2WR-2TE-1RB)
    Formation: Gun Near Wing Slot
    Defensive Scheme: 4-3 “Over” Cover 1 (8-Man Front)

- Ace personnel with a FB (F) or even a third TE in the game. Use Z “short divide” motion (CB will run with coverage) to create an “option look” at the snap (Tebow will ride Z through the mesh point).
    - Focus on the blocking scheme up front. No different than the 2-Back “Power O” vs. a 4-3 Over Front, the Jets are leading up on the Sam Backer (S) with the FB and pulling the open (weak) side guard (highlighted in orange) up through the hole on the Mike Backer (M). With a double-team on the 3-technique DT (closed side guard will work to the Will Backer), Tebow now has a running lane to get to the second level of the defense.
    - The Z receiver is nothing more than “window dressing.” The Jets could hand the ball off (“Jet Sweep”), but this play is designed for Tebow. Load up the closed (strong) of the formation and get the QB in a one-on-one situation vs. the FS at the goal line.

2. Swap Boot
    Personnel: Ace (2WR-2TE-1RB)
    Formation: Gun Near Wing Slot
    Defensive Scheme: 4-3 “Over” Cover 1 (8-Man Front)

- Same formation, personnel and alignment as the “QB Power” with the Z once again using “short divide” motion into the backfield (CB runs with coverage).
    - Tebow will fake to the Z receiver on the run action. (LBs step to the line of scrimmage). Force the LBs to stick their eyes in the backfield and roll the QB away from the play pass side of the formation.
    - The route breakdown: X on the clear out 9 (fade) route, Y (TE) on the underneath crosser and F on the “swap” release to the Flat.
    - This is a run-pass option for Tebow once he extends the pocket to the open side of the formation. If the LBs take the bait, he has the option of targeting F in the flat or looking up the Y working away from the SS playing from an outside leverage position.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ith-Tebow.html

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty good read there.

I think the whole mystery surrounding the Jets wildcat is blown out of proportion. We know what it is going to look like. Just put on some Denver tape from the goal line and some Miami tape. That will give you a pretty good idea. I am sure there will be some new wrinkles, at least I hope there will be.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a feeling we are going to line up Tebow more as a HB with Sanchez as the QB rather than a traditional wildcat.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    I have a feeling we are going to line up Tebow more as a HB with Sanchez as the QB rather than a traditional wildcat.
    I don't think so. Part of what makes Tebow effective in the wildcat is that the QB remains a threat in the run game. It is about numbers. Sanchez would essentially be a wasted player in the wildcat. It would be better to have someone in there that is a threat to run and a blocker.

Not saying that they will not toy with this. But Tebow would not be effective as a HB b.c what made him effective is that the defense had to handle 11 players on a running play instead of 10 when he was playing QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps Sanchez will be running more...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Pretty good read there.

I think the whole mystery surrounding the Jets wildcat is blown out of proportion. We know what it is going to look like. Just put on some Denver tape from the goal line and some Miami tape. That will give you a pretty good idea. I am sure there will be some new wrinkles, at least I hope there will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    You guys bring up two points that are very interesting to me.

I think the actual plays run out of the "wildcat" formation are going to look very similar to a combination of what Denver and Miami ran.

But, to make the "wildcat" successful, the player running the play has to already be on the field in some other capacity. (Ronnie Brown was already on the field as a RB, Brad Smith was already on the field as a WR, Tim Tebow was already on the field as a QB in Denver.)

You can't have your "wildcat" guy running out on the field only when you plan to run the wildcat. Otherwise, the defense can easily substitute and plan for the play. The whole idea is to get your wildcat formation lined up against the other team's base defense.

Which, to me, means that Sanchez and Tebow are going to have to be on the field at the same time together in "non-wildcat" formations. I'm fascinated to see how the Jets plan to pull this off.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think so. Part of what makes Tebow effective in the wildcat is that the QB remains a threat in the run game. It is about numbers. Sanchez would essentially be a wasted player in the wildcat. It would be better to have someone in there that is a threat to run and a blocker.

Not saying that they will not toy with this. But Tebow would not be effective as a HB b.c what made him effective is that the defense had to handle 11 players on a running play instead of 10 when he was playing QB.

but you have to line up in different positions as a decoy, or else when they see Tebow line up at the gun they will substitute their defense for there own "wildcat" package

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree... 2 QB formations would be silly IMO. As you say, the whole point of these types of offenses is to make things 11 on 11 with a QB that is a dual threat.

I think the whole mystery surrounding the Jets wildcat is blown out of proportion.
    I'd file this in the "You Think So Doctor" category... Meaning I totally agree. The idea that HS football formations or "new" takes on the offenses of yesteryear are going to revolutionize the game come Sunday and take NFL defenses by storm seems silly to me. I can't believe how some seem to lap it up.

I do think we can have some success using Tebow but I am personally hoping we are smart about how much and when we use these types of plays/packages. I would be happy if it was about the same amount we used Brad Smith in a similar role (which people forget was not very much).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock48nj View Post
    Totally agree... 2 QB formations would be silly IMO. As you say, the whole point of these types of offenses is to make things 11 on 11 with a QB that is a dual threat.
    Not exactly. Maybe you could say it is to make it 10 on 10, because in any wildcat play run up until now, the QB is lined up at WR and is essentially no threat (although, defenses do have to put a CB on him just in case), and the player running the wildcat has been either a RB or WR.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope Tebow doesn't poach too many of "Mark's" QB opportunities at the red zone. It would be pretty unfair if Mark leads the team to the endzone on several trips, but it's Tebow racking up the touchdowns.

I understand we need to do the things that will put points on the board...but Mark's ability to punch the ball into the endzone at the goal line has never been an issue. He's fantastic with the play-actions, roll-outs, finding his big receivers, finding Keller, etc.

I also think that a "tidy 2-1 TD-INT" ratio is important for Sanchez's confidence and for his teammate's trust in his ability. If Tebow is poaching the TDs at the end of drives, it could be an issue.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this thought.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I hope Tebow doesn't poach too many of "Mark's" QB opportunities at the red zone. It would be pretty unfair if Mark leads the team to the endzone on several trips, but it's Tebow racking up the touchdowns.

I understand we need to do the things that will put points on the board...but Mark's ability to punch the ball into the endzone at the goal line has never been an issue. He's fantastic with the play-actions, roll-outs, finding his big receivers, finding Keller, etc.

I also think that a "tidy 2-1 TD-INT" ratio is important for Sanchez's confidence and for his teammate's trust in his ability. If Tebow is poaching the TDs at the end of drives, it could be an issue.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this thought.
    I don't care who gets the TD as long as the result is a TD. My problem is by pulling Sanchez for Tebow you are removing one of the best RZ QB's in the league statistically for one of the worst RZ QB's in the league statistically.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post

I don't really buy the unfair arguement, personally it doesn't matter to me if Mark gets the TD or Tebow does, as long as the Jets score. I don't think it matters to Rex either. Rex did mention on the radio earlier this morning that the only people that would be mad at this would be someone that has Sanchez on a fantasy team, which really, I agree with. Mark has said he doesn't care about it, but I'd think its more of a PR response than a personal one. As long as it doesnt get to him and effect his play, I'm fine with it.

That being said, my only concern is that this was something that was not a problem at all last year with the Jets being the most efficient Red Zone team in the NFL. Its perplexing why you would change something that wasn't broken, and in fact, was one of your strengths.

On the other hand, this year Plaxico is gone. He was undoubtedly our best RZ target last year and a primary reason why they were so effective. Maybe the coaching staff feels the need to make up for this loss in the Tebow faction.

I'll stop rambling now, just talking out the different scenarios and I guess I dont really have a point.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good point JamaicanJF. I would only like to see Tebow come in for a spark when the base offense is struggling.

We need to avoid turnovers for the first few games while the Offense catches up so I truly hope they don't throw out of the WC. We all saw how Tebow is prone to INTs when throwing on the run and across his body. Also we dont have an offense to play from behind IMO.

I see 2 plays initially out of the WC, both with Sanchez OFF the field as he can't help as receiver or blocker.
    1. QB keeper with Tebow running behind the FB or TE -- this is the staple and advantage us with the extra run blocker. There are a lot of things we can do off this including toss to the RB etc
    2. Hand-off to RB with Tebow being an extra lead blocker - again advantage us with the extra run blocker.

Both plays take advantage of the extra blocker and don't risk Sanchez getting hurt or being ineffective.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets run more than 3 wildcat plays a game the offense will fail.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    Not exactly. Maybe you could say it is to make it 10 on 10, because in any wildcat play run up until now, the QB is lined up at WR and is essentially no threat (although, defenses do have to put a CB on him just in case), and the player running the wildcat has been either a RB or WR.
    Yes you are right.. especially as it relates to the "Wildcat" specifically as a formation... I think I remember the Dolphins got a TD out of Chad on a reverse pass or something when they were running it, so you can't totally ignore.

I guess my point is beyond the wildcat, typically the goal with an offense snapping the ball to someone that is a real threat to run versus solely passing/handing off is to even up the numbers... whether you are masking weaknesses (like in many HS versions) or playing to personnel strengths (like in many college Os).

I have always felt that you create these formations/packages from what you have in terms of personnel (see Pats/Hernandez, us and BSmith) and use them appropriately (BSmith direct snap package was used 65 times over 2 seasons)... so I am very interested in how we approach this whole thing with Tebow.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would play him from a totally spread formation. 1 RB, 4 WR and 5 man line with wider splits than normal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock48nj View Post
    Wouldn't something like Sanchez at QB and Tebow in motion or hb, be beneficial to the offense?? I feel like that would freeze the defense for atleast a second and give us the upper hand to hit a play down field.

Either way, I doubt Sanchez cares if Tebow takes most of the RZ touchdowns, if the team is winning and putting up points I think he would be excited.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I would play him from a totally spread formation. 1 RB, 4 WR and 5 man line with wider splits than normal.
    I could see this.

I also would have Mark in the huddle. This forces the Defense to respect the pass and put the appropriate pass-defense personnel . Line him up near the sideline. The Defense then has to defend him. Now it's 10 vs 10, with more space for the runner.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even if it forces the Bills to burn time outs it benefits the Jets.
    Most games in the NFL are close, burning TOs always bites you in the AZZ at some point.
    Bills take a TO, Jets come back with Sanchez & regular offense. It's a game of chicken.

Have you ever seen Bradys face when he has to burn a TO? He hates it, because BB hates it & it's another part of a game that goes on.

Jets need to get a lead & keep pounding the chit out of Buffalos thin Dline! Yea, they have good players but their rotation guys suck. If Tebows converting short yardage plays in the 4th quarter, Jets are golden.
    Bam, Bam, Bam, play action, Hill all alone down the sideline. He just has to make sure he catches the damn ball.
    Play action on 3rd & short should be interesting with Sparano. I can definitely see him thinking 4 downs occasionally if we are on Bills side of the field.
    Playaction, even if incomplete, hurry up, Tebow, QB keeper, 1st down.

It's gonna be wild. I hope that Tony shows some cahoneys & takes a few chances.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the reason Sparano has quickened the pace on offense in training camp is precisely for this reason.
    Tebow will always be on alert if his number is called, allowing for the offense to quickly get set, which allows Tebow the time to scan the defense.
    Same with Mark.
    Shoddy had too many calls & shifts, leaving Mark with absolutely no time to kill a play.
    As we know that lead to a lot of plays where the defense is meeting the ball carrier the same time he gets the handoff.
    I think Sparano will shock us all a little bit by using a lot more of the field to get defenders off the line of scrimmage.
    Hill being 6-4 & can jump allows Mark to just throw it & let him go up for it, ala, Megatron.
    Guaranteed to get a couple of PI calls when you do that.