Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 105

Thread: Jets Tweets & Info 9/7

  1. #41
    I know everybody hates on Eric Smith (including me). But the spread offense of Buffalo is one opponent we could have used him for. He could do a decent job as a LB. He hits hard and covers far better than Pace or Thomas can.

  2. #42
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,074
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Is Tanny the only GM in the league that puts together weekly game plans?

    And why would he make a comment like that on a national radio show?
    Well maybe Tanny was basing his numbers on how often he thinks the Jets will be punting the ball.

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,759
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That's not the point.

    The point is Tanny never should have said something that specific.

    He should have said: "Yea, we've been working on a few different things with Tim, let's see how it plays out on Sunday."
    I agree he shouldn't be talking about how much Tebow is going to be used. But I think we are nitpicking a little. It is a very popular topic of discussion around the league or at least in the media. He is going to get asked those questions. It is not an ideal situation for him.

  4. #44
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Trust me. I am not underestimating Pouha. He is terrific. He plays at a Pro Bowl level.

    I just think that Ellis is a rising start. And he is going to shine as he gets more experience.
    Jenkin's made more impact plays in a single game than Pouha has in a season. Pouha never gets any penetration on pass plays. He doesn't get moved around too much in the run game, ut he's far from an elite NT.

  5. #45
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,695
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I know everybody hates on Eric Smith (including me). But the spread offense of Buffalo is one opponent we could have used him for. He could do a decent job as a LB. He hits hard and covers far better than Pace or Thomas can.
    Hopefully Demario Davis can fill that role.

  6. #46
    I think we need to worry about fatigue with Ellis in this first game. Not sure if Harrison will actually see game time this week?

  7. #47
    Sorry, a little out of the loop. OT When did Jenny Vrentas become a Giants beat writer? WTF??

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That's not the point.

    The point is Tanny never should have said something that specific.

    He should have said: "Yea, we've been working on a few different things with Tim, let's see how it plays out on Sunday."
    How does his comment help or hurt either team? The Bills know we are going to use it, but have no idea when or how. Nothing has changed. 80-90 percent is very vague. Maybe they will only use it once and T is trying to throw them off. Pretty sure Tanny isn't divulging Top Secret information by saying that they will use Tebow 80-90 percent of the snaps.

  9. #49
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Jenkin's made more impact plays in a single game than Pouha has in a season. Pouha never gets any penetration on pass plays. He doesn't get moved around too much in the run game, ut he's far from an elite NT.
    A healthy Kris Jenkins was a better player than Pouha. But Kris Jenkins was a rare special talent. There are not many elite NTs in the league. Pouha is one of the better ones in the league and he is brutally consistent. But I agree, he is not as talented as Jenkins was. Few NTs are. Like I said, Pouha is a technician and he does his assignment on every single play. He is not going to jump off the screen at you.

    Ellis has a higher ceiling. It is a matter of perfecting his technique and being disciplined. I think he is on his way.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    I think we need to worry about fatigue with Ellis in this first game.
    That's going to be a league-wide issue this weekend.

    Did you see how gassed the Giants and Cowboys defense looked in the 2nd half?

    And they played that game at night.

  11. #51
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,695
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree he shouldn't be talking about how much Tebow is going to be used. But I think we are nitpicking a little. It is a very popular topic of discussion around the league or at least in the media. He is going to get asked those questions. It is not an ideal situation for him.
    He could have more coy about it.

    Perhaps say "Tebow could get anywhere from 0% to 20% of the snaps."

    And leave it at that.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    He could have more coy about it.

    Perhaps say "Tebow could get anywhere from 0% to 20% of the snaps."

    And leave it at that.
    Yeah because as we all know, tanny is known for always telling the truth to the media

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    A healthy Kris Jenkins was a better player than Pouha. But Kris Jenkins was a rare special talent. There are not many elite NTs in the league. Pouha is one of the better ones in the league and he is brutally consistent. But I agree, he is not as talented as Jenkins was. Few NTs are. Like I said, Pouha is a technician and he does his assignment on every single play. He is not going to jump off the screen at you.

    Ellis has a higher ceiling. It is a matter of perfecting his technique and being disciplined. I think he is on his way.
    yeah, it's not really fair to compare Pouha to Jenkins as there are very few players in the NFL who could match what Big Jenk offered in terms of size, skill and athleticism.

    Pouha may not be much of a "playmaker" on D, but he is one of the very best DL in the league when it comes to stopping the run and occupying blockers.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Jenkin's made more impact plays in a single game than Pouha has in a season. Pouha never gets any penetration on pass plays. He doesn't get moved around too much in the run game, ut he's far from an elite NT.
    Pass rushing is way down on the list of responsibilities for a NT. They're huge men whose responsibility is to occupy two offensive linemen and give the inside linebackers space to make plays, while not giving any ground. Against the run, Pouha occupies two guys and still gets a push more times than not.


    Jenkins was fantastic, but it's not a coincidence that our run defense got MUCH better after he was injured and Pouha took over. Trying to get that penetration comes at a cost.


    Of course, fans love sacks and undervalue being a rock against the run.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree he shouldn't be talking about how much Tebow is going to be used. But I think we are nitpicking a little. It is a very popular topic of discussion around the league or at least in the media. He is going to get asked those questions. It is not an ideal situation for him.
    i think we're nitpicking a lot.

    Tannenbaum has no clue how many reps Sanchez/Tebow will get, nor should he. he probably used 80-90% as a way of saying that Sanchez would get the vast majority of the snaps at QB.

  16. #56
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Pass rushing is way down on the list of responsibilities for a NT. They're huge men whose responsibility is to occupy two offensive linemen and give the inside linebackers space to make plays, while not giving any ground. Against the run, Pouha occupies two guys and still gets a push more times than not.


    Jenkins was fantastic, but it's not a coincidence that our run defense got MUCH better after he was injured and Pouha took over. Trying to get that penetration comes at a cost.


    Of course, fans love sacks and undervalue being a rock against the run.
    I recall at least 8 games were we lost because a team passed all over us because we got no pressure. I recall maybe 1 where running Killed us. Jenkins was fine against the run, and much better against the pass. Pouha is not even that great against the run, he gets moved back at times. He's decent but nothing more.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Jenkin's made more impact plays in a single game than Pouha has in a season. Pouha never gets any penetration on pass plays. He doesn't get moved around too much in the run game, ut he's far from an elite NT.
    Wrong. Pouha is arguably the best 3-4 NT in the game today. A 3-4 NT is not supposed to get penetration, that causes running lanes. In a 3-4 the Nose is supposed to stand his ground and take up blockers, keeping them off the LBs. They shouldn't be in their in passing downs, so 3-4 NTs are never going to be much of a pass rushing threat.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    A healthy Kris Jenkins was a better player than Pouha. But Kris Jenkins was a rare special talent. There are not many elite NTs in the league. Pouha is one of the better ones in the league and he is brutally consistent. But I agree, he is not as talented as Jenkins was. Few NTs are. Like I said, Pouha is a technician and he does his assignment on every single play. He is not going to jump off the screen at you.

    Ellis has a higher ceiling. It is a matter of perfecting his technique and being disciplined. I think he is on his way.
    We were allowing almost 120 yards per game on the ground those first 7 games with Jenkins, and that was after completing shutting down the Texans run game in Week 1 (38 yards; they only averaged 3.5 ypc that year and didn't find Arian Foster until the last 2 games of the season).

    In consecutive weeks, we allowed:

    127
    153
    151
    142
    119

    before Jenkins got hurt. We were allowing 4.4 ypc on the ground. We only allowed 100 yards rushing 3 times after Pouha took over.



    Remember when Pouha wasn't on the field for the first half of the drive at the end of the first Patriots game, when they ran it right down our throats? They saw Pouha and Devito on the sideline and ran a no-huddle rushing attack.

    Pouha didn't play against the Eagles last year and we allowed 160 yards in that game.

    The only time we've really been gashed on the ground with Pouha was the game against the Raiders, and almost all of those yards were allowed on the outside, where we couldn't set the edge or tackle McFadden.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    He could have more coy about it.

    Perhaps say "Tebow could get anywhere from 0% to 20% of the snaps."

    And leave it at that.
    True, but that is pretty much what he said. The world knows we will use tebow 5-6 times a game in the wildcat. Most teams run between 50-60 plays a game. So 10 percent of that is about 5 plays. There is probably zero chance Tebow takes 12 snaps. But again, he is just ad libbing on the radio. He isn't the OC or Head Coach. If the Jets run the Wildcat 3 times in the first half and they net negative 10 yards and Sanchez is 12-12 for 200 yards, i am pretty sure we won't see Tebow the rest of the game and conversly if the Wildcat is going good it will be used more.

    And if the Jets are up 17 points in the 4th quarter we may see alot more of the wildcat to help run the clock out.

    So whatever T said does nothing to help the Bills gameplan.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Wrong. Pouha is arguably the best 3-4 NT in the game today. A 3-4 NT is not supposed to get penetration, that causes running lanes. In a 3-4 the Nose is supposed to stand his ground and take up blockers, keeping them off the LBs. They shouldn't be in their in passing downs, so 3-4 NTs are never going to be much of a pass rushing threat.

    ^^^^^^^^
    What he said.


    NTs aren't usually on the field on passing downs. They're 2 down players. And when they're out there, like Wilfork is, they're playing as a DT not a NT. Pouha is not a great DT, Jenkins was an elite DT as well as a great NT.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us