Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL.com: Tim Tebow, New York Jets will explode on offense this season

All Pro

NFL.com: Tim Tebow, New York Jets will explode on offense this season

Here's a positive article from NFL.com regarding the state of our offense this coming season. The writer, Jason Smith is a Jets fan but that's besides the point. He brings up some interesting points. Enjoy

Tim Tebow, New York Jets will explode on offense this season

By Jason Smith
    Fantasy Analyst

Ready for this? The New York Jets are going to explode offensively this season. And it's all about Tim Tebow and the tremendous effect he's going to have.

Yes, you read it correctly. It's not a joke. It's me knowing my team and reading the signs this pre-season. First of all, yeah, I know the first team didn't score in the preseason. It's not a problem, nor is it a big check mark on the to-do list for them in August.

The Jets aren't letting anyone see how they're going to use Tim Tebow this season. No one. Not at open practice, and especially not in games that don't count. What did we see in the preseason? Tebow coming in, playing some mop-up QB, struggling to throw the football and taking abuse. That is 100 percent what is NOT going to happen during the season.

It's time to start believing the Jets' plan for Tebow has nothing to do with what we've seen so far. Put Tebow in the backfield at the same time as Mark Sanchez? I wouldn't put it past Wildcat inventor Tony Sparano. (The Jets wanted Tebow to bulk up to 250 pounds. When's the last time a team asked a QB to do that? That's a tell.) Do you think the Jets opinion of Shonn Greene is so high that they felt he didn't need any help this off-season? They know he struggled as a full-time starter in 2011. They got help, just not what everyone expected. They know Tebow can't throw the football like a traditional QB, and they won't ask him to. They'll play to his strengths.

Defenses will have no idea what to expect. Who's going to get the football here? And they'll be forced to play slow, which is a huge advantage for the offense. Tebow doesn't have to get the football all the time; the mere possibility will disrupt the defense. When the Jets get inside the 20, will it be Sanchez or Tebow? Good luck trying to substitute to get the right matchup on the field for that. New York's plan will be to put defenses on their heels and make them line up in their base formation as much as possible. New York's offense as a whole will be much greater than its individual parts.

There's more evidence to prove I'm right. Remember how tenuous the Jets' locker room was at the end of last season? They did a good job in repairing it, but you know it's still fragile. If they were so concerned about how they were playing this pre-season, someone would have said something to start off a chain-reaction of panic. Three games with no touchdowns? Even if it's the preseason, the panic button would have been pressed, Santonio Holmes would have blown up, and someone would have said they didn't believe in what the team was doing offensively. Anonymously, of course, because they would have wanted that opinion in the public eye in the hopes it would change what was happening in Jets camp.

But so far, who's been really upset? Who's complained? Who's said they're concerned? No one. Sanchez is laughing it off with an air of confidence. Holmes is shrugging his shoulders. Tebow says he's happy (OK, he would say that anyway). Coach Rex Ryan says things will be fine for Buffalo in Week 1. Trust me, in the sports world of 2012, you can't hide something like that. It would have gotten out by now. But it's been like the Stepford Jets. What's been their real issue (other than WR health) this pre-season? Wayne Hunter. He was awful at right tackle. The Jets then traded for me -- OK the Rams' Jason Smith, though I had a ton of fun with that on Twitter and Google Plus when it went down -- and now the problem is solved. They had an issue, and they dealt with it.

If you still think I'm nuts, just ask yourself this question: Do you honestly believe that Ryan and his staff, who have been to two AFC Championship Games in three years, are teaming up with Sparano and walking around Florham Park like the Keystone Kops? Give the Jets more credit than that. They're an easy punching bag because they like the headlines. There will be plenty more of them in 2012.

You have been warned.

Follow Jason Smith on Twitter @howaboutafresca
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...se-this-season

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    It's time to start believing the Jets' plan for Tebow has nothing to do with what we've seen so far. Put Tebow in the backfield at the same time as Mark Sanchez? I wouldn't put it past Wildcat inventor Tony Sparano.
    Really hope this can work. Sounds like it has the makings of being hard to defend.

Veteran
    If anything our offense is going to be markedly worse with Tebow than it would be without it. I've never seen such hyper over a horrible player. He's not a good RB, he's not a good thrower. I'd prefer to run the wildcat with Brad smith, who was a playmaker than this big slow munk Tebow

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    If anything our offense is going to be markedly worse with Tebow than it would be without it. I've never seen such hyper over a horrible player. He's not a good RB, he's not a good thrower. I'd prefer to run the wildcat with Brad smith, who was a playmaker than this big slow munk Tebow
    This. And is Jason Smith really RayRay in disguise?

Saprano invented the wildcat? He invent the wish bone too?

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post

Do you know what he didn't invent? 17 different screen names so he could hang out with Jet fans.

edit
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 09-07-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Hey I don't like Tebow as a QB I'm pretty sure I throw a better ball. However... Not a playmaker???? Tebow is all of that. Also check his combine numbers. Terrible passer but freak athlete for his size.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    At least he didn't invent 17 different screen names so he could hang out with Jet fans.
    Boom. Roasted.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Hey I don't like Tebow as a QB I'm pretty sure I throw a better ball. However... Not a playmaker???? Tebow is all of that. Also check his combine numbers. Terrible passer but freak athlete for his size.
    You work magic with a ball(s), and +1 on the rest of your post.

Not saying it WOULD work with him and Mark in the backfield, but it sure has the makings of trouble for defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    You work magic with a ball(s), and +1 on the rest of your post.

Not saying it WOULD work with him and Mark in the backfield, but it sure has the makings of trouble for defenses.
    Haha dick. Also, I'd like to add that at least with Tebow there is the threat of a pass. He can hit a wide open guy. Brad smith was a hilariously bad passer.

The guy has 3 Fantasy football championships under his belt. He's an expert.

All Pro
    Haha dick. Also, I'd like to add that at least with Tebow there is the threat of a pass. He can hit a wide open guy. Brad smith was a hilariously bad passer.
    Oh, youre game.

I think the only thing im not interested in seeing is Tebow running the Option with Sanchez as the RB. lol.

The greatest hoax perpetrated on the media?

It would be so cool in my view if the Jets just use Tebow as a running back exclusively. Maybe an option once in a while.

edit: Let me rephrase it: If the Jets can do anything to prove that the season is not going to pan out like most everyone thinks it will (another debacle), I'm for it. Personally I would gladly take being completely wrong and seeing the Jets win a lot of games over anything else. It would make me, many like-minded fans, and the media look like fools. Then finally SOJ would die.
    Last edited by jxc; 09-07-2012 at 04:22 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post

Beat it, troll!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Do you know what he didn't invent? 17 different screen names so he could hang out with Jet fans.

And we invented the Flying Lawnmower.

Not to mention, this is the guy who claims that he only trolls when there's a negative reference to the pats.

Jets Insider VIP
    Uh not so fast. I recall him missing a wide open Stephen Hill in the end zone.

Jets Insider VIP
    NFL Network and ESPN are filled with Tebowmaniacs.

I have been saying it for months (elsewhere) that Tebow is a poor passer for a QB, slow for a RB but a good combination as an option HB. Picture a defensive player watching Sanchez roll out in front of Tebow handoff?, roll out pass?, sweep by Tebow, pass by Tebow? come in ? lay back? A defensive coach's nightmare.
    Last edited by TheSage; 09-07-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: typo

Shocking that most of you seem to have missed the key point that was made:

Tebow doesn't have to get the football all the time; the mere possibility will disrupt the defense. When the Jets get inside the 20, will it be Sanchez or Tebow? Good luck trying to substitute to get the right matchup on the field for that. New York's plan will be to put defenses on their heels and make them line up in their base formation as much as possible. New York's offense as a whole will be much greater than its individual parts.
    Defenses today are all about sub packages, down and distance, yada, yada, yada. If Tebow and Sanchez are both on the field for a number of plays, what personnel package is the defense going to send in ? Bring in the nickel package because it's 3rd and 5 ? Fine, line Tebow up in the shotgun with a spread formation and let him get those 5 yards against small DBs. Then Sanchez takes over again on 1st and 10.

Pettine and the Jets faced this very problem on Tebow's game winning drive against them. Do you say in a run stopping package when Tebow is in the spread and just hope that he can't hit one of the 4/5 receivers out in patterns ? Do you bring in nickel/dime to cover all the receivers and have no one to stop Tebow when he runs ?

This benefits Sanchez as well. 3rd and 5 and seeing Tebow on the field, the defense goes big to stuff the run. Split Tebow out and put Sanchez under center or in the gun against the base defense in what is normally an obvious passing situation. It's about the matchups. It's about dictating coverages and schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post

Defenses today are all about sub packages, down and distance, yada, yada, yada. If Tebow and Sanchez are both on the field for a number of plays, what personnel package is the defense going to send in ? Bring in the nickel package because it's 3rd and 5 ? Fine, line Tebow up in the shotgun with a spread formation and let him get those 5 yards against small DBs. Then Sanchez takes over again on 1st and 10.

Pettine and the Jets faced this very problem on Tebow's game winning drive against them. Do you say in a run stopping package when Tebow is in the spread and just hope that he can't hit one of the 4/5 receivers out in patterns ? Do you bring in nickel/dime to cover all the receivers and have no one to stop Tebow when he runs ?

This benefits Sanchez as well. 3rd and 5 and seeing Tebow on the field, the defense goes big to stuff the run. Split Tebow out and put Sanchez under center or in the gun against the base defense in what is normally an obvious passing situation. It's about the matchups. It's about dictating coverages and schemes.
    Thanks professor, excellent job of turning one paragraph into three paragraphs

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Thanks professor, excellent job of turning one paragraph into three paragraphs
    Us simple minded, peon like folk needed help deciphering.