Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL.com: Tim Tebow, New York Jets will explode on offense this season

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    So according to the guy who wrote the article, our offense will be like the 99 rams. Who knew?

I knew Woody should have given us a dome!

Jets Insider VIP
    Not for nothing, but the idea of seeing a formation with Sanchez and Tebow split in a shotgun backfield has to give a DC pause. How well it could work is another story...

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Not for nothing, but the idea of seeing a formation with Sanchez and Tebow split in a shotgun backfield has to give a DC pause. How well it could work is another story...
    Exactly.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Fine. But i'm drawing the line at domestics . Gansetts possibly. And for Boomer to Moore,' empyrean' will have to suffice.
    Our Corporate Counsel approves - Naragansetts for everyone!

Oooooh, empyrean...they did heat up the Meadowlands.

I'd expect a bunch of flea flicker type plays like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72bbonONvlw

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Thanks professor, excellent job of turning one paragraph into three paragraphs
    Thanks. I try to be thorough

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Us simple minded, peon like folk needed help deciphering.

Actually JetSetter, many of the posters here do need help deciphering. Can't say that I've ever noticed you being one of them, but some here seem to know less about football than they do about astrophysics, and they don't know **** about the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Shocking that most of you seem to have missed the key point that was made:

Defenses today are all about sub packages, down and distance, yada, yada, yada. If Tebow and Sanchez are both on the field for a number of plays, what personnel package is the defense going to send in ? Bring in the nickel package because it's 3rd and 5 ? Fine, line Tebow up in the shotgun with a spread formation and let him get those 5 yards against small DBs. Then Sanchez takes over again on 1st and 10.

Pettine and the Jets faced this very problem on Tebow's game winning drive against them. Do you say in a run stopping package when Tebow is in the spread and just hope that he can't hit one of the 4/5 receivers out in patterns ? Do you bring in nickel/dime to cover all the receivers and have no one to stop Tebow when he runs ?

This benefits Sanchez as well. 3rd and 5 and seeing Tebow on the field, the defense goes big to stuff the run. Split Tebow out and put Sanchez under center or in the gun against the base defense in what is normally an obvious passing situation. It's about the matchups. It's about dictating coverages and schemes.
    Amazing that the Broncos were not the number one offense in the league last year. Just put Tebow on the field and we will be unstoppable...

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    Amazing that the Broncos were not the number one offense in the league last year. Just put Tebow on the field and we will be unstoppable...
    Aside from the obvious difference that if the D lines up with 8 in the box to stuff Tebow, Sanchez takes the snap and throws deep to Hill or Santonio in single coverage.

Seem to recall quite a lot of people talking about how big a problem that was last year. That Santonio would get doubled as there was no one else to threaten the D.

Having Tebow in can accomplish the same thing via a different route. Instead of pulling a DB off of Holmes to cover another reciever, the defense puts the extra man in the box and leaves Holmes and Hill in one on one coverage.

Seriously, take Bill Parcell's advice on this. Stop focusing on what Tebow CAN'T do and instead, focus on both what he CAN do and what the team CAN DO just with him being on the field.

Aside from the obvious difference that if the D lines up with 8 in the box to stuff Tebow, Sanchez takes the snap and throws deep to Hill or Santonio in single coverage.

Seem to recall quite a lot of people talking about how big a problem that was last year. That Santonio would get doubled as there was no one else to threaten the D.

Having Tebow in can accomplish the same thing via a different route. Instead of pulling a DB off of Holmes to cover another reciever, the defense puts the extra man in the box and leaves Holmes and Hill in one on one coverage.

Seriously, take Bill Parcell's advice on this. Stop focusing on what Tebow CAN'T do and instead, focus on both what he CAN do and what the team CAN DO just with him being on the field.
    Tebow is a hell of a runner with the football. However, teams have been stacking the box against us for the past several years. Daring our offense to beat them over the top. I am hoping that it was the offensive philosophy that was holding us back and not the players. I guess we will find out this year. I just don't buy that Tebow puts any serious additional pressure on a defense that will open other things up. How much better would we be with a top RB back there.

Tebow is a hell of a runner with the football. However, teams have been stacking the box against us for the past several years. Daring our offense to beat them over the top. I am hoping that it was the offensive philosophy that was holding us back and not the players. I guess we will find out this year. I just don't buy that Tebow puts any serious additional pressure on a defense that will open other things up. How much better would we be with a top RB back there.
    If teams have been "stacking the box" against the Jets for years, then how has Santonio been double covered as much as people keep talking about ?

If Tebow is in the gun, it takes away that 1 man advantage. Even if Tebow never runs the ball in the game, on every running play, 1 defender will be accounting for him, which is one less defender that can tackle Greene, Powell or whomever else.

With Sanchez under center and a top RB, the defense doesn't have to acct for Sanchez running, which frees an additional defender to cue on the RB.

If teams have been "stacking the box" against the Jets for years, then how has Santonio been double covered as much as people keep talking about ?

If Tebow is in the gun, it takes away that 1 man advantage. Even if Tebow never runs the ball in the game, on every running play, 1 defender will be accounting for him, which is one less defender that can tackle Greene, Powell or whomever else.

With Sanchez under center and a top RB, the defense doesn't have to acct for Sanchez running, which frees an additional defender to cue on the RB.
    Not sure how long you have been watching Jets football but teams have stacked the box against Shotty's offense since Pennington was QB. Go watch the tape!!!
    Team play man under against our WRs and we never send them down the field. When Schitty did send them down the field it was a double move and Sanchez was on his ass by the time the WR got open....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Here's a positive article from NFL.com regarding the state of our offense this coming season. The writer, Jason Smith is a Jets fan but that's besides the point. He brings up some interesting points. Enjoy

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...se-this-season
    I agree with this article 100%

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Do you know what he didn't invent? 17 different screen names so he could hang out with Jet fans.

edit
    Lolz -

Not sure how long you have been watching Jets football but teams have stacked the box against Shotty's offense since Pennington was QB. Go watch the tape!!!
    Team play man under against our WRs and we never send them down the field. When Schitty did send them down the field it was a double move and Sanchez was on his ass by the time the WR got open....

You are referring to "man under, cover 2" ? Or some other kind of "man under" ?

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Thanks. I try to be thorough

Actually JetSetter, many of the posters here do need help deciphering. Can't say that I've ever noticed you being one of them, but some here seem to know less about football than they do about astrophysics, and they don't know **** about the latter.
    I cant make the connection between the 3, but i agree about the latter.

Its not rocket science to lock the legs in place, and yet i see people falling off them time and time again.
    Nasty fall back in '02 left a co worker with a broken arm. You guessed it, didnt lock the legs .

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    I cant make the connection between the 3, but i agree about the latter.

Its not rocket science to lock the legs in place, and yet i see people falling off them time and time again.
    Nasty fall back in '02 left a co worker with a broken arm. You guessed it, didnt lock the legs .
    Lol. Nice one

You are referring to "man under, cover 2" ? Or some other kind of "man under" ?
    Man Under Cover 2 would be very vanilla. Not to say that teams won't run it but the NFL is a little more complex than that. You may see man under quarters or cover 3 where you jamm - stay with your man and then fall back into a coverage 2, 3 or quarters...

Further, once it is evident that it is a pass. many teams stagger thier LB drops as opposed to the typical 5 accross you might see in a traditional cover two. Bottom line is teams had 7 to 8 in the box all year against the Jets and Schotty refused (could not get the qb time) to go over the top.

Man Under Cover 2 would be very vanilla. Not to say that teams won't run it but the NFL is a little more complex than that. You may see man under quarters or cover 3 where you jamm - stay with your man and then fall back into a coverage 2, 3 or quarters...

Further, once it is evident that it is a pass. many teams stagger thier LB drops as opposed to the typical 5 accross you might see in a traditional cover two. Bottom line is teams had 7 to 8 in the box all year against the Jets and Schotty refused (could not get the qb time) to go over the top.

Guess my point is that when someone tells me that other teams usually plan "man under" against the Jets, automatic interpretation is that they are talking about "man under cover 2".

But, lets go with what you just said, "man under quarters or cover 3 where you jamm - stay with your man and then fall back into a coverage 2, 3 or quarters..."

Not sure that any of those coverages are considered as "stacking the box".

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    I'd expect a bunch of flea flicker type plays like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72bbonONvlw
    Exactly!

Sanchez will be ronnie brown and take the snap.

Tebow will motion, take the handoff, fake the run and throw it to a wide open stephen hill, who blew the top of the defense as they were sucked in thinking run...

and boom goes the dynamite...

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Exactly!

Sanchez will be ronnie brown and take the snap.

Tebow will motion, take the handoff, fake the run and throw it to a wide open stephen hill, who blew the top of the defense as they were sucked in thinking run...

and boom goes the dynamite...
    I wonder how Mark will like that design, Do you understand that these type of plays leave Sanchez vulnerable to a hit as a blocker, he is in the backfield with Tebow running out of the pocket. That leaves Sanchez open to be hit by a free running Dlineman.

A typical wildcat play has the qb running outside the hashes, where he can not be hit unless the play is run to his vicinity. Once tebow acts like a qb, Sanchez is now considered a blocker.