Thread: Sources: Bounty bans overturned

Veteran

Sources: Bounty bans overturned

Suspensions for four players connected to the New Orleans Saints bounty scandal have been overturned by a three-man arbitration panel, sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The ruling should clear Jonathan Vilma, Will Smith, Scott Fujita and Anthony Hargrove to start the season.

"Victory is mine!!!! -stewie griffin," Vilma tweeted Friday afternoon.

The panel's decision affects the players only, not suspended coaches Gregg Williams, Sean Payton and Joe Vitt.

The NFL Players Association and the four players had claimed in consolidated lawsuits that Goodell abused his authority and followed improper procedures in disciplining the players for a program that, according to NFL investigators, paid improper cash bonuses for tackles that injured opponents. The lawsuits sought to have the punishment handed down by Goodell thrown out. The arbitration ruling renders the lawsuits moot at this point.

A team source previously told ESPN's Ed Werder that Vilma planned to attend Sunday's season opener against the Washington Redskins, but believed he was at least a week or two from being ready to play because of a knee injury.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, ESPN's Ed Werder and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Nice to see Roger put in his place the friggin autocrat. This does cover his bottom though as he can say 'the process works' instead of 'whew, i was going to lose a lawsuit and have my authority squashed by the courts."

Quote Originally Posted by manmrmoore View Post
    Suspensions for four players connected to the New Orleans Saints bounty scandal have been overturned by a three-man arbitration panel, sources tell ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The ruling should clear Jonathan Vilma, Will Smith, Scott Fujita and Anthony Hargrove to start the season.

"Victory is mine!!!! -stewie griffin," Vilma tweeted Friday afternoon.

The panel's decision affects the players only, not suspended coaches Gregg Williams, Sean Payton and Joe Vitt.

The NFL Players Association and the four players had claimed in consolidated lawsuits that Goodell abused his authority and followed improper procedures in disciplining the players for a program that, according to NFL investigators, paid improper cash bonuses for tackles that injured opponents. The lawsuits sought to have the punishment handed down by Goodell thrown out. The arbitration ruling renders the lawsuits moot at this point.

A team source previously told ESPN's Ed Werder that Vilma planned to attend Sunday's season opener against the Washington Redskins, but believed he was at least a week or two from being ready to play because of a knee injury.

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, ESPN's Ed Werder and The Associated Press was used in this report.
    I wouldn't want any one of those players on my team. (they could be innocent) The fact is the NFl is a very vindictive league. Those players are going to be under the microscope from the refs from now on, that anything perceived as not looking right- A flag will be thrown against that player. Those players just sneeze on a player and a flag coming out.

Those bounty players 1- NFL 0. Let see if the Nfl doesn't even up the score in their favor. You will be sorry. Looks like you won but your team going to pay the price.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Seems to me that draconian nature of the penalties is what ultimately did in the league. If Vilma was suspended for 4 games and the other guys suspended for 1-2, it wouldn't have been that big a deal. They probably would have b!tched about it, but would have accepted it. But to suspend a player for a whole season, that's a little too much to take.

Ended up costing the league as they now look like rank amateurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    I wouldn't want any one of those players on my team. (they could be innocent)
    I wish Vilma was still a JET.. HAHA

This is old news already.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Seems to me that draconian nature of the penalties is what ultimately did in the league. If Vilma was suspended for 4 games and the other guys suspended for 1-2, it wouldn't have been that big a deal. They probably would have b!tched about it, but would have accepted it. But to suspend a player for a whole season, that's a little too much to take.

The league will win on appeal. This isn't a matter of law but labor relations. The players signed a collective bargaining agreement that gave the NFL commissioner the power to be judge, juror, and executioner. They voluntarily signed away their rights and unless the National Labor Relations Board intervenes, both unions and employers have to abide to a signed CBA.

It's cut and dry whatever you think of Goodell.

Veteran
    There are bitemarks in Goodell's desk.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by regen View Post
    The league will win on appeal. This isn't a matter of law but labor relations. The players signed a collective bargaining agreement that gave the NFL commissioner the power to be judge, juror, and executioner. They voluntarily signed away their rights and unless the National Labor Relations Board intervenes, both unions and employers have to abide to a signed CBA.

I admittedly haven't followed this case closely (cause I don't really care) and am simply going on second hand info here, but in reading the OP, it sounded to me that it was the arbitration panel established by the league that overturned Goodell.

If that is the case, this is the exact forum that the League has established to hear cases like this. Assuming that this is correct, the league has no recourse and will reinstate the players immediately. They may b!tch and moan, but unlike individual players, the league can't thumb its nose at its own procedures.

Vilma, OTOH, can file whatever lawsuit he wants with the hope of convincing some judge to grant an injuction. The league could of course, appeal and attempt to argue that said court has no jurisdiction, but the league isn't going to openly flout its own procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

agree

All Pro
    I know these guys are not in football shape due to missing training camp, but I would still play Vilma and Will Smith for a few snaps just to stick it to that Tool of a commish Goddell

Quote Originally Posted by regen View Post

The league won't win on appeal. You don't understand. The commissioner overstepped his jurisdiction by basically doing a two-prong attack when he should have just done a one-prong attack (the one he had jurisdiction over). Consequently, the whole thing was overturned. He can still discipline via the one prong (intent to injure), but I don't see how the suspensions could be nearly as long as the current ones that just got overturned. Frankly, if anything, the NFL should fire all of its in-house lawyers and outside attorneys for not reading and understanding the CBA and disciplining in an appropriate fashion under the CBA. Meanwhile, the NFLPA deserves credit for doing its homework. Keep in mind, none of this impacts the defamation lawsuit, which is a totally legitimate lawsuit separate from the grievance. If Goodell mischaracterized the program and the actions of Vilma, he could easily lose.

Edit: I typed the wrong word in my OP: replaced "pay" with "intent".
    Last edited by escamoter2; 09-08-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    The league won't win on appeal. You don't understand. The commissioner overstepped his jurisdiction by basically doing a two-prong attack when he should have just done a one-prong attack (the one he had jurisdiction over). Consequently, the whole thing was overturned. He can still discipline via the one prong (pay to injure), but I don't see how the suspensions could be nearly as long as the current ones that just got overturned. Frankly, if anything, the NFL should fire all of its in-house lawyers and outside attorneys for not reading and understanding the CBA and disciplining in an appropriate fashion under the CBA. Meanwhile, the NFLPA deserves credit for doing its homework. Keep in mind, none of this impacts the defamation lawsuit, which is a totally legitimate lawsuit separate from the grievance. If Goodell mischaracterized the program and the actions of Vilma, he could easily lose.

Thank you for this post!!!!

This is precisely what I was saying from the begining and why Goodell was so quick to float through the media a compromise deal.

I am glad Vilma won and IMO Goodell is awfull and a disgrace as an attorney!!!

I have said this since he destroyed evidence in Patgate does anyone now think this man tells the truth!!!

Good Grief!!!