Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: In Philadelphia airport, *****es!!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    That place was on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

Would like to try it, but I hate brocolli rabe.

_
    WTF?

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    You could always rock the suspenders, Chairman.

uhhh no

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    WTF?
    Yeah, just never liked it. I find it bitter, and stewed veggies in olive oil and garlic are not my thing. Love olive oil, love garlic, just not with sauted veggies. Don't like spinach, oil and garlic either, don't like primavera. Can't stand when the only side available is brocolli rabe.

But what I REALLY don't get is the over-the-top love some folks have for brocolli rabe.

I remember talking to my parents a few years ago when they were down in Fla and my Dad gets on the phone and says "your Mom made the BEST brocolli rabe last night--we had it for dinner, then this morning for breakfast we had it with eggs and potatoes, then for lunch we're going to have brocolli rabe sandwiches and tonite we're going to mix the brocolli rabe in with some pasta and tomorrow morning if there's any left we're going to make brocolli rabe omelets".

It's like they were addicted to it.

Blech pitooey.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, just never liked it. I find it bitter, and stewed veggies in olive oil and garlic are not my thing. Love olive oil, love garlic, just not with sauted veggies. Don't like spinach, oil and garlic either, don't like primavera. Can't stand when the only side available is brocolli rabe.

But what I REALLY don't get is the over-the-top love some folks have for brocolli rabe.

I remember talking to my parents a few years ago when they were down in Fla and my Dad gets on the phone and says "your Mom made the BEST brocolli rabe last night--we had it for dinner, then this morning for breakfast we had it with eggs and potatoes, then for lunch we're going to have brocolli rabe sandwiches and tonite we're going to mix the brocolli rabe in with some pasta and tomorrow morning if there's any left we're going to make brocolli rabe omelets".

Blech pitooey.

_
    I like it a lot, but my dad always says how it befuddled his grandmother, who grew up in the Southern Italian countryside. In Calabria the broccoli rabe grew like weeds, in fact it was a weed, and it was only eaten by the lower class rural farmers and whatnot. In America, it's a trendy Italian delicacy and prices for it are outrageous compared to what they were in the old country. She never understood it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

_
    Did you keep the pen?

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    That place was on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

Would like to try it, but I hate brocolli rabe.

_
    They have 4 or 5 sandwiches that are fukkin unbelievable.

The line is very long with (lawyers and accts) and other regulars, it is not just a tourist trap like PATS and GINOS. This place is awesome.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Did you keep the pen?

-
    Back on the sauce?

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

_
    The excessive bitterness needs a place to go (EDIT: Dissipate) such as in a big pot of water. Try blanching it in boiling, salted water (It softens fairly quickly, so as with all green vegetables, don't cook it for longer than seven minutes or it will go olive drab in appearance). Next, drain it well and cool in the freezer for a few minutes or in a bowl filled with ice water. This will set a nice green color.

(Alternatively, you can cook the vegetable directly in a pan, but you will need to add a liquid such as chicken stock to mellow out the bitterness. Again, the bitterness needs somewhere to go or it concentrates.)

Now, you will have broccoli di rape (sic, at least where I come from) which is tender and delightfully neutral/even sweet in character. As you don't like it sauteed (WTF is your problem?), maybe just dress it with some salt, pepper and a little extra virgin.
    Last edited by Borgoguy; 09-08-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    The excessive bitterness needs a place to go (EDIT: Dissipate) such as in a big pot of water. Try blanching it in boiling, salted water (It softens fairly quickly, so as with all green vegetables, don't cook it for longer than seven minutes or it will go olive drab in appearance). Next, drain it well and cool in the freezer for a few minutes or in a bowl filled with ice water. This will set a nice green color.

(Alternatively, you can cook the vegetable directly in a pan, but you will need to add a liquid such as chicken stock to mellow out the bitterness. Again, the bitterness needs somewhere to go or it concentrates.)

Now, you will have broccoli di rape (sic, at least where I come from) which is tender and delightfully neutral/even sweet in character. As you don't like it sauteed (WTF is your problem?), maybe just dress it with some salt, pepper and a little extra virgin.
    Still not eating it.

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still not eating it.

_
    LOL. Plenty of other veggies to enjoy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL. Plenty of other veggies to enjoy.
    Hahaa--I'm just a baby when it comes to BR. And I just don't like stewed/sauteed veggies. Sauteed eggplant? Blech.

We've been grilling veggies just about everyday. Orange, red and yellow holland bell peppers, asparagus, eggplant. Favorite recently for me an the GF, two massive portobello mushroom caps, olive oil, cracked salt and pepper, once the underside is done first, flip them and load up the cap with grated sharp Asiago cheese.

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hahaa--I'm just a baby when it comes to BR. And I just don't like stewed/sauteed veggies. Sauteed eggplant? Blech.

We've been grilling veggies just about everyday. Orange, red and yellow holland bell peppers, asparagus, eggplant. Favorite recently for me an the GF, two massive portobello mushroom caps, olive oil, cracked salt and pepper, once the underside is done first, flip them and load up the cap with grated sharp Asiago cheese.

_
    Sounds delicious. Honestly, portobello mushrooms bug me. I like the taste, but the gills dump a ton of black liquid when you cook them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Did you keep the pen?

-

That Clompus, what an attention hound.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post
    I'm off!
    Boarding soon and then a short 4-hour flight home.
    Wtf you flyin all over the place when there's game, you gotta be kiddin me. I'll forgive you this time, let it happen again! this is searious fun.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    damn it! I screwed the pooch on that one

Damn it!
    yeah, lot of that here. you'll probably get an unwanted PM shortly...now that you're "out there"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Blech pitooey.

_
    My Italian wife made me try broccoli rabe once; almost killed me, and I almost killed her. Never forgave her for it either...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds delicious. Honestly, portobello mushrooms bug me. I like the taste, but the gills dump a ton of black liquid when you cook them.
    Yeah, I never cook with full grown portobellos. Instead, I always go cremini.

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I never cook with full grown portobellos. Instead, I always go cremini.

_
    Cremini are my everyday mushroom of choice. I try to frequent markets like Fairway, which allows me to hand pick them.

When I'm doing a special dish like risotto, I go with dried porcini, imported from my region, not the Chinese frauds/garbage. I sometimes mix the two varieties.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back on the sauce?

_
    You're headed for southside territory; that was a riot.