Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tebow at tight end tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by HDKostempski View Post
    I've never quite figured out the Jets' CS/FO thinking here. The backup QB's job is to be ready to come in for the starter if he gets hurt. Regularly putting your backup QB at risk playing other positions just doesn't make any sense.

All this stuff about using Tebow in some dual QB system or at other positions that Tebow's never played before seems like a possible smoke screen to hide the fact that the CS/FO is seriously flirting with the idea of putting Tebow in as the starter some time during the season. They're introducing Tebow-friendly play while pretending they're NOT undermining Sanchez.
    I hear this line of thinking a lot but don't believe it. In order to make this possible you have to have a CS/FO that doesn't want to win the first half of the year. I just don't buy it.

Jets are playing to win, believe Sanchez is their #1 QB and believe Tebow can help them win as a situational QB and back-up.

There is no conspiracy here.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    pffft.......he's got Jeebus on his side.....
    GFY-

I just can't help but think we're going to see him line up at HB and give him HB Tosses. Makes the most sense.

Lateral behind LOS = Still can throw the ball

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    I just can't help but think we're going to see him line up at HB and give him HB Tosses. Makes the most sense.

I agree with this. I think we're going to see a lot of this...

Pitch with Run/Pass option.

All Pro
    I can't believe they've been training Tebow as a TE and word didn't leak out. I'm afraid that even something less remarkable like him receiving hand offs would have leaked by now. Don't get me wrong I had this thought from the beginning, but we would have to find out if he was any good at catching, blocking, and receiving hand offs before he actually could do it in a game. I'm afraid the craziest thing we might see is Tebow receiving a shotgun hand off so they don't know whether he or Mark is getting the snap, and whether Mark will pass or hand it to Tebow, who could then run or pass. If Mark was going to pass he'll probably fake it to Tebow who would run into the line. There are a lot of things we could do from this formation, but don't expect Tebow to block, or catch a pass unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Im sitting here thinking and I believe tebow is going to be playing tight end in our 2 tight end sets.
    I've been thinking the Jets would use Tebow in the Gronkowski/Hernandez mold almost from the day the Jets picked Tebow up. My only concern is whether he can catch. I'm also not sure the Jets will unveil this against the Bills. They may hold off until they see the Pats, or at least some other team that is stronger than the Bills.

Veteran
    Tebow is a changeup and short term starter, as in a few games. I think the Jets could have two issues here:

A) Sanchez gets hurt and is out 2-3 weeks. Tebow wins all those games but Sanchez is still the starter. This could cause an issue if Sanchez isn't right when he comes back. If Tebow loses them it's irrelevant and Tebow time is over and Jets go on their merry way.
    B) Tebow loses all those games but Sanchez's injury is taking longer to heal. Do the Jets go to their #3 QB or not? This may be a big issue with Tebow since he is the backup.

In the Jets perfect world Sanchez is the QB they expect and Tebow does his thing.
    Last edited by JETFAN1; 09-08-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoldengod View Post
    TE, RB, Punt Protector, Wildcat. Everything but QB. And I don't mean that in a bad way, he's a great football player and I'm excited to see him play football just not at QB. Also, the more he plays TE/RB or even on the field with Sanchez, the more the media (and people I have to talk to at work...) will realize his intended usage and added versatility (while not being a threat to start at QB).

At least that's what I hope.
    Maybe Woody had a point...can't get enough Tebow.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoldengod View Post
    TE, RB, Punt Protector, Wildcat. Everything but QB. And I don't mean that in a bad way, he's a great football player and I'm excited to see him play football just not at QB. Also, the more he plays TE/RB or even on the field with Sanchez, the more the media (and people I have to talk to at work...) will realize his intended usage and added versatility (while not being a threat to start at QB).

At least that's what I hope.
    Amen. the more we can get both those guys on the field at the same time, and be successful --> the quicker these media jackals will have to bite their tongue.

The guy has never lined up as a TE in college and you want him to do so in the pros. The guy is an athletic qb with a big heart. He is not superman. You are not giving enough credit to nfl players that have played te all thier careers if you think a big qb can step in and do better than them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sports View Post
    Maybe Woody had a point...can't get enough Tebow.
    Every dose of Tebow is multiplied into more media time and back page real estate occupied by the NY Jets. Of course Woody would like more and more of Tebow.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post

This makes the most sense by far. Asking him to be a pass catching tight end is crazy. I'd be shocked to see this even once. He could, however, reek some havoc as a HB.

Probably not TE, but I bet he does catch some passes from the RB\HB spot. The good thing is he can probably get more after catch yards than any of our other recievers.

I honestly think we need to just sacrifice the TE reciever and keep Smith out there and go with the 6 lineman to keep Sanchez protected. Buffelblows have a decent pass rush and that approach worked well in pre season 3.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I hear this line of thinking a lot but don't believe it. In order to make this possible you have to have a CS/FO that doesn't want to win the first half of the year. I just don't buy it.

Jets are playing to win, believe Sanchez is their #1 QB and believe Tebow can help them win as a situational QB and back-up.

There is no conspiracy here.
    Parcells' great idea in Miami was to eventually make the single-wing/wildcat formation an even more significant part of the Fins' offense than it was in 2008. That's why Miami drafted spread-option QB Pat White in the 2nd round in 2009. He probably planned on White eventually replacing Pennington.

The Jets have Parcells disciple Tannenbaum as their GM. They have a HC who seems to think the offense is only a necessary evil. They hired Tony Sparano, Parcells' pal from Miami as their new OC. They tried to hire one of the chief architects of the modern single wing, David Lee, to be their QB coach. Then they grabbed a big-name spread option QB in a trade.

I think that they've convinced themselves that they can win by incorporating the single wing into a spread option offense.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    Tebow is a changeup and short term starter, as in a few games. I think the Jets could have two issues here:

A) Sanchez gets hurt and is out 2-3 weeks. Tebow wins all those games but Sanchez is still the starter. This could cause an issue if Sanchez isn't right when he comes back. If Tebow loses them it's irrelevant and Tebow time is over and Jets go on their merry way.
    B) Tebow loses all those games but Sanchez's injury is taking longer to heal. Do the Jets go to their #3 QB or not? This may be a big issue with Tebow since he is the backup.

In the Jets perfect world Sanchez is the QB they expect and Tebow does his thing.
    Tebow will not start a game, unless he learns how to throw the football. Maybe next year.

"I can play TE tomorrow. I can do it in between saving children from land mines in Iraq."

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    pffft.......he's got Jeebus on his side.....
    lol.