Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Run Defense and Tackling

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    You have to finish tackles. We have been weak in tackling for sometime now.
    The trend in the NFL is now not to tackle a guy but to hit him so hard that he loses a spleen. Problem is, when he isn't knocked over, he can recover and run for a long gain. Guys just don't wrap up anymore.

Wrapping up the ball carrier was taught to me in Junior High football about a thousand years ago. Simple stuff but lots of guys in the NFL seemed to have forgotten (or choose to ignore it for the ESPN highlight hit).

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Spiller bounced runs outside constantly, pouha the jag wouldn't help with that. We game planned for Taylor, and weren't ready for spilled. If you remember Oakland game last year we struggle against fast shifty backs.
    While I don't agree Pouha is a JAG, I do agree he wouldn't have made much difference in the run game . . .

The defense seemed to be lacking fundamentals today. They were trying to go for the big hits instead of just wrapping up the opponent but other than that they looked good.

Anyone concerned after today's performance?
    The Jets had a big lead, the "D" was playing the pass. Much easier to run in those situations. It's like running the ball on 3rd and 15 every play. We'll be more than fine.

Waterboy
    I see the Pats spreading us out and running Ridley down our throats. Our LBs are too slow.
    Did Demario Davis play today? if he did he was practically invisible.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    The trend in the NFL is now not to tackle a guy but to hit him so hard that he loses a spleen. Problem is, when he isn't knocked over, he can recover and run for a long gain. Guys just don't wrap up anymore.

Wrapping up the ball carrier was taught to me in Junior High football about a thousand years ago. Simple stuff but lots of guys in the NFL seemed to have forgotten (or choose to ignore it for the ESPN highlight hit).

This times a fillion!
    Asst HS football Coach in Fla & we would NEVER teach that style. But, we do see it starting to show up due to ESP-ANAL & all the other alphabet sh*t networks replaying it. One of our kids tackles that way, say HI to the bench for awhile.

I love how the Pouha supporters are coming out to show their love right now. Yes, Pouha is a beast at the position and is an AWESOME run stopper, BUT- stop and think for a minute. fJax was STOPPED and bottled up consistently while he was in. Ellis even got some pressure up the middle which was negated by Buffalo's quick patterns and throws. Spillers runs would have torn apart this defense either way because they were OUTSIDE runs. Where does Pouha play again? oh, inside. The problem there is our ends not setting the edge properly or OLB not getting the job done. Interior did their job. Q even set the edge on Spiller's long touchdown but was held, play was exacerbated by poor tackling down the field and Scott going for the strip instead of the tackle. Pouha is worth all the praise he receives, he was not particularly missed today though, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post

Remember 'Jacked Up!!!!!'?

Spiller bounced runs outside constantly, pouha the jag wouldn't help with that. We game planned for Taylor, and weren't ready for spilled. If you remember Oakland game last year we struggle against fast shifty backs.

The guy who thinks Pouha is a JAG is also the one who thinks we game planned for "Taylor" and paid no attention to Spiller in prep.

Says a lot.

BTW, what game plan do you need for "don't whiff on a tackle"?

Veteran
    Pouga is a jag. We did not prepare for cj as much because Fred Taylor was going to see Te majority of the carries. We were worried about cj in the pass game not the run.

We know our defense has problems against dadt end who can get to the edge. This hasnt changed.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

The Jets were in a prevent nickel in the 2nd half with multiple 2nd stringers playing. I am not sure what there was to get upset about.

All League
    I agree that fundamental tackling is a concern, but at the same time, CJ Spiller is the exact kind of runner that will give the Jets headaches all day. Once he gets to the outside with a burst of speed its over for our LB's. Its the same thing that worries me about Jeff Demps and Reggie Bush to an extent. He's actually the kind of runner that would take our offense to the next level.

They were big runs. I wouldn't worry about it. Having Pouha back will help.

I'll worry if it happens again for now I'll give the benefit of the doubt. buffalo found a great play to attack the d we were in. And spiller has the tools to make u pay. Speed Kills!!

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    No concerns

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    This. Take away those two big runs (one of which was facilitated by a blatant hold at the PoA) and no one is even mentioning this "problem".
    Take away those 3 INTs and Fitz had a great game.

See how that works.

Tackling was piss poor today. Not saying it can't be fixed but it was a problem today.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    They were big runs. I wouldn't worry about it. Having Pouha back will help.
    Getting Pouha back will do NOTHING to stop the big runs like the ones CJ had on us today. Pouha stops the runs up the middle, just like Ellis did. Ellis is an upgradeover Pouha, our defense still can't handle speed, and RBs like that don't match up well against us.

We need to finish tackles and set the edge better.

Getting Pouha back will do NOTHING to stop the big runs like the ones CJ had on us today. Pouha stops the runs up the middle, just like Ellis did. Ellis is an upgradeover Pouha, our defense still can't handle speed, and RBs like that don't match up well against us.

We need to finish tackles and set the edge better.
    Only thing that bothered me were the angles the defense took when it came to tackling. Hopefully Rex fixes that up.

Still no concerns?