Thread: New Safeties

New Safeties

....what'd you think?

I thought we saw some athletic, hard nosed guys who are ready to back up their claim that "if you come into the middle on the Jets, you can be ready to get wake up after the game"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    ....what'd you think?

I thought we saw some athletic, hard nosed guys who are ready to back up their claim that "if you come into the middle on the Jets, you can be ready to get wake up after the game"
    I kept talking about the speed of both safeties at the game. It was clear that Eric Smith was not out there. These safeties can get to the other side of the field in a hurry. Landry was great except for missing that one tackle on the Spiller run, I believe.

One word.... Upgrade

Jets Insider VIP
    I really hope we can re-sign Landry after we work out the Revis deal.

Overall it looks like it will be much more physical play from the Safety position this season compared to last year. It's a huge improvement.

And I do get the whole intimidation thing with Landry. I just wish he were a little smarter about it. Hitting guys out of bounds does not help this team.

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Overall it looks like it will be much more physical play from the Safety position this season compared to last year. It's a huge improvement.

And I do get the whole intimidation thing with Landry. I just wish he were a little smarter about it. Hitting guys out of bounds does not help this team.
    True but it was a very close call, I can't get on him that bad for it, especially when you're coming in on someone that fast.

I forget who it was, but I loved seeing bell just SLAM into somebody over the middle and jar the ball out of his hands...I missed having safeties who can really hit.

Overall I think the points made about the speed of both bell and landry are spot on. They just seemed to be all over the field, whereas I can only remember smith and leonard either barely getting there or wondering where the **** they were.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

G-R-E-A-T!!!!!!!!!

l_j_r

Didn't think Bell was that fast and Landry took poor angles at times but the intimidation factor is something we haven't had there for a while.

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    Big hits were not a problem when Eric Smith was out there. He was always willing to bring the lumber. And Jim Leonard was pretty wreckless with his body, and a sure tackler. But it's tough to hit a guy that's catching the ball running away from you.

Landry and Bell look like a good tandem.

loved watching Landry patrolling sideline to sideline and delivering the big hits.

no major missed assignments in the secondary, which bodes well for Bells command of the system and ability to communicate the calls.

we allowed some easy completions to the middle of the field when we went to the prevent in the 4th, so I don't think that's a cause for concern in terms of their coverage abilities.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I really hope we can re-sign Landry after we work out the Revis deal.
    Actually, the first wish should be that Landry' Achilles is truly healed. His recovery is pretty remarkable considering his election for not traditional treatment.

If he remains healthy he'll have a tremendous impact on the secondary for the whole season.

Landry needs to learn to chill out a bit though. Got flagged for a late hit one time and should've been flagged another time. I love the agressive play but he cannot be doing that.

All Pro
    a breath of fresh air.

Having two guys back there who are capable of making plays is not something this team has had in a very long time.

I can't even find the words to describe how much of an upgrade these guys are over the Leonhard-Smith combo