Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Minute Drill: After Mark spiked the ball he took a delay of game. WHY?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down 2 Minute Drill: After Mark spiked the ball he took a delay of game. WHY?

I'm not sure that I've seen a delay of game that was dumber than when Mark finally spiked the ball in our only two minute drill and then walked towards the sideline like it was a timeout.... and then the clock ran all the way down for a delay of game which lead to a 3rd and 8. That play was a 3rd and 3 on Buffalo's 16 yard line. THAT was either a brain fart or they had some brilliant plan in mind. The next play Santonio makes the circus catch (no pun intended) but his hand is out of bounds before his 2nd foot comes down.

Seriously, someone needs to ask them about that because I've never seen a team go and spike the ball to stop the clock to leave themselves a short 3rd down conversion in the redzone only to walk towards the sideline and take a delay of game penalty and make it a 3rd and long with one heave towards the endzone. Mark even suggested that everyone just "relax" while this was happening so I wonder if they knew they needed a few more yards to let that play develop to Holmes. I don't know but I'd like an explanation because that was about as dumb as it gets.... and I love Mark, but that was ridiculous unless it was planned and even then it's a dumb play.

I knew it when he spiked it. I was like, he's walking towards the sideline like it's a timeout... WTF is he doing?!?!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We didn't have a time out, but I'm not sure why we didn't run a play. Idk. We scored 48 points, so whatever.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    We didn't have a time out, but I'm not sure why we didn't run a play. Idk. We scored 48 points, so whatever.
    Yeah but at the time it was 24-7. I didn't like that at all.

Let me clarify that I loved the spike, I called for the spike about 3 times on that drive before he actually did it. His composure and command of that situation really showed and was much better than my frantic calls to stop the clock. But that was poorly executed and really needs to be examined and cleaned up and I'm sure Tony will do as much.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he was more concerned about getting a good play for the situation. It would've been either a 34 or 39 yard (with the delay of game penalty) FG attempt for Folk - a difference which should not significantly affect his ability to make the FG. From the play they ultimately ran, you know they wanted to take a shot at the end zone. I have no problem with how Mark handled that situation. It's not like he didn't realize what was going to happen. I seem to recall him saying, "I know" right before the flag was thrown so he knew they were about to be penalized.

The most likely scenario is that the coaches were trying to decide on what play to run. I mean I didn't see any coaches cussing or throwing those laminated play call sheets down in disgust, screaming, "What the hell is that Sanchez doing?"

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And the Tebow DoG down on the goal line was disappointing as well.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well it was a lot better than taking a delay of game to begin the game under Schitferbrains.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by teng View Post
    I think he was more concerned about getting a good play for the situation. It would've been either a 34 or 39 yard (with the delay of game penalty) FG attempt for Folk - a difference which should not significantly affect his ability to make the FG. From the play they ultimately ran, you know they wanted to take a shot at the end zone. I have no problem with how Mark handled that situation. It's not like he didn't realize what was going to happen. I seem to recall him saying, "I know" right before the flag was thrown so he knew they were about to be penalized.

The most likely scenario is that the coaches were trying to decide on what play to run. I mean I didn't see any coaches cussing or throwing those laminated play call sheets down in disgust, screaming, "What the hell is that Sanchez doing?"
    True. I also saw a few cases where the communication to Sanchez was not on and he was waving his hands around like, "HEY A-HOLES!!! WHAT'S THE PLAY?" Either way, the win was great. They dominated every facet of the game until it was turned into a rout.

I've just never seen a QB intentionally take a delay of game after spiking the ball. Weird. I will say that I was extremely impressed with the offense's ability to "turn it back on" after the Bills scored 3 unanswered TDs. They drove right back down the field efficiently and pounded it in. Also I got a clarification on the rules, I was scratching my head about that Shonn Greene fumble that Brick recovered in the endzone. Apparently you can't advance an offensive fumble inside two minutes. Still, Greene put the ball on the ground twice today. Not a good sign. Mark driving the ball down the field and effectively ending any inkling of a though Buffalo had for a comeback... that was a good sign.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    Well it was a lot better than taking a delay of game to begin the game under Schitferbrains.
    LMAO. I did forget about that! Truly embarrassing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was a bad play. No doubt. But we afforded ourselves the luxury of working the kinks out without throwing the game.

This wont happen again.

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    True. I also saw a few cases where the communication to Sanchez was not on and he was waving his hands around like, "HEY A-HOLES!!! WHAT'S THE PLAY?" Either way, the win was great. They dominated every facet of the game until it was turned into a rout.

I've just never seen a QB intentionally take a delay of game after spiking the ball. Weird. I will say that I was extremely impressed with the offense's ability to "turn it back on" after the Bills scored 3 unanswered TDs. They drove right back down the field efficiently and pounded it in. Also I got a clarification on the rules, I was scratching my head about that Shonn Greene fumble that Brick recovered in the endzone. Apparently you can't advance an offensive fumble inside two minutes. Still, Greene put the ball on the ground twice today. Not a good sign. Mark driving the ball down the field and effectively ending any inkling of a though Buffalo had for a comeback... that was a good sign.
    I don't think that was Mark's intention but rather that the coaches didn't have a play ready in time. Beside, this is the Jets we're talking about. Didn't we call a timeout last year coming out of a TV timeout?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    And the Tebow DoG down on the goal line was disappointing as well.
    Yup, we ran the wildcat too often in my opinion but if the coaches want it then the personnel had better be ready on a moments notice. The slow substitution resulted in a negative play without the ball even being snapped.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    first game after installing a new offense.

some of these glitches could've been cleaned up in preseason, but we didn't run our offense in preseason. it was a vanilla as vanilla gets, as we all know.

these little things will hopefully get cleaned up as the season progresses and guys get comfortable in the system.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    And Manning just got a delay of game out of a timeout.

I guess it's a little bit more common then I thought.

Or maybe Mark is becoming Peyton....

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly think it was a complete brain fart on Sanchez and the coaching staff.

They are spinning it like they didnt have the right play or personnel but if you recall or watch the replay you'll notice that Sanchez walked to the sidelines and was talking to the coaches and drinking water on the sideline BEFORE the penalty was called.

It clearly looked like to me everyone was treating the ball spike like a timeout.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    I honestly think it was a complete brain fart on Sanchez and the coaching staff.

They are spinning it like they didnt have the right play or personnel but if you recall or watch the replay you'll notice that Sanchez walked to the sidelines and was talking to the coaches and drinking water on the sideline BEFORE the penalty was called.

It clearly looked like to me everyone was treating the ball spike like a timeout.
    That's what I thought too. I saw it instantly and I don't think you can spin that any other way. You can't even use the personnel excuse because they were in the two minute drill and had no subs coming in.

Either way, he messed up. He knows it. I've never seen a QB do that before. Then again, I never saw a player eat a hotdog on the sideline either.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If that was our biggest mistake of the game, I'm happy.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    That was one of the sloppiest things I've ever seen in my life. He's on the sidelines drinking water and the play clock is expiring. Even if he did do that on purpose, it looked terrible. I'm surprised Sparano wasn't there in his ear, telling him to get his ass back on the field.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was clearly a "get the right play call for the end zone" kind of timeout. It's just like when you are punting and u take the delay of game to move back a little to avoid a touch back. There wasnt much time, it was 3rd down and we had no time outs. Take the 5 yards, get the right play, and take 1 shot at the end zone. Better then rushing a stupid play then watching the click expire trying to line up a fg attempt.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ohhh awesome! Let's find anything we can complain about. Wow

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    Ohhh awesome! Let's find anything we can complain about. Wow
    Scored 48 points? Doesn't matter, got a penalty.