Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We need a #1 RB

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I just don't understand why they give Greene the almost all of the carries. He should probably only get 15 carries a game. Let the other guys handle the rock.

None of them are great, but they do have different skill sets. It seems like they're committed to Greene for no good reason. The fact that he fumbled twice should be enough to reduce his role.
    i agree. i thought they should have used powell more in the 2nd half.

if the jets had spiller yesterday and the bills had greene the score could have been 60-3.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    This is a joke of a post.

Jets have had the most dominant performance in a long time and you're blaming the RB.

Please!!!!!

Enjoy the win and worry about a game when the Jets lose.
    +1

The jets running game a going to be a community effort. Greene, Powell, McNight, Tebow.

Jets Insider VIP
    We need more Powell.

Billal as the lead and Greene as the complimentary back could be a pretty decent combo.

It would be great if the coaching staff started cutting away from Greene's carries.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    We need more Powell.

Billal as the lead and Greene as the complimentary back could be a pretty decent combo.

It would be great if the coaching staff started cutting away from Greene's carries.
    some of those predictable up the middle runs by greene could be dumpoffs to powell. that would open it up more.

Tim Hightower is available at the moment. That's about it. The issue with Green is that he has no homerun power and scares no one. He is an average RB in the mold of Rashard Mendenhal. A poor mans Turner if you will. You need a homerun guy at RB to have an elite ground and pound offense however. That is the difference between the Jets and teams like Houston and San Francisco.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    some of those predictable up the middle runs by greene could be dumpoffs to powell. that would open it up more.
    Definitely.

That little dumpoff towards the end of the half over the middle...Powell turned it into a nice 16 yard scamper, shifting between two defenders.

Greene can not do that.

Veteran
    I wonder how much of Greene's effort was trumped by the strength of the Buffalo line; perhaps we can be more successful against PIT - I have to refresh my memory, not even sure who they have up front this year.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    I wonder how much of Greene's effort was trumped by the strength of the Buffalo line; perhaps we can be more successful against PIT - I have to refresh my memory, not even sure who they have up front this year.
    part of it is that greene isn't a good receiver so when he's in the game you pretty much know what the play is.

Hall Of Fame
    We need more Powell.

I dont think they can give Greene 27 carries every week, especially the way Greene runs. I am not sure he will last the whole season if he gets that many carries every game.

Definitely.

That little dumpoff towards the end of the half over the middle...Powell turned it into a nice 16 yard scamper, shifting between two defenders.

Greene can not do that.
    also if the defense has to account for powell it will make it easier for guys like kerley and cumberland to get open. besides winning big yesterday the most fun thing was watching the jets offense show some muscle, creativity and balls. and watching hill's coming out party. nice job tanny, great tradeup!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    part of it is that greene isn't a good receiver so when he's in the game you pretty much know what the play is.
    That's a very good point.

I'd also add that when they run with Greene, 9 times out of 10 the D knows its coming right up the gut. I never thought about it that way, but Greene's one-dimensional running - as good as it can be at times - definitely makes life easier on the opposing defense.
    Last edited by adpz; 09-10-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    That's a very good point.

I'd also add that when they run with Greene, 9 times out of 10 the D knows its coming right up the gut. I never thought about it that way, but Greene's one-dimensional running - as good as it can be at times - definitely makes life easier on the opposing defense.
    No defense is worried about Greene beating them to the outside. It's lets them cheat playing the run up the middle.

I'm actually sort of glad we don't have a "home run hitter" in the backfield. It forces Sparano to use the pass more and be more balanced. Something we have never been able to do the last 12 years with horrible OC's like Paul Can't Hack it and Schittenheimer ruining everything.

Who are the great RB's on the Packers? Patriots? Giants?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Who are the great RB's on the Packers? Patriots? Giants?
    Well, those teams have Rodgers, Brady, and Manning. When you have one of the top 5 QBs in the game... a hall-of-famer... you don't need great RBs. Bringing up those teams is not helping to prove your point because they are made up differently and play a very different style than the Jets.

That said, I don't think the Jets need someone on Adrian Peterson's level, they need someone who is above average and well balanced. I think Greene is the perfect #2, a finisher, the guy who should be closing out games.

Jets Insider VIP
    The coaching staff has seen powell for 2 years now. If he was better then greene, he would be in there.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    Greene is a close the show 4th quarter running back. He lacks vision at the second level. Hes strong and delivers a hit but doesn't show the consistent ability/balance to break away after contact. It's good for establishing attitude. But he leaves way to many yards on the field. I like Greene and he has a place on the jets just not as a #1.

McKnight is a explosive running back without the BOOM. Been watching him since his USC days and he never seems to makes that last guy miss. Lacks that playmaker wiggle. Has all the moves has no idea how or when to use them. I've never been sold on McKnight and wish we woulda drafted Ronnie Hillman to replace him.

I think Powell is a good 3rd back lol And could develop into starting material not a home run hitter but a C.Martin type plain consistent play in and play out. He shows balance, vision, ability to make the first man miss, but seems overwhelmed by the moment. Maybe he will progress maybe not. I'm not holding my breath though.

I could go into more detail about it but I figure we are just stuck with 2's and 3's let's make it work.
    100% disagree with the thread title. Rex has always used a two back system and it has always served us well. In 2009, we had the number 1 running attack. You can't get much better than that.

Moreover, Shonn Greene isn't called the war machine for nothing. Greene has always been fresh for us when we get to the playoffs. I want things to stay that way. I agree that Greene isn't a number 1 RB. But he is a VERY good number 2 option.

I think the running attack of Greene and Powell will do well for us so long as the OL keeps up their end of the bargain. I don't want either being named as a number 1 RB.

I don't understand all of this hate for Greene.

He ran for 96 yds and a TD on Sunday. That's 3.5 yds per carry (which last I checked, equals over 10 yds over 3 downs) and a TD in a game with multiple passing and D/ST TD's. I'm happy with that considering he had to split carries with Powell and Tebow.

Shonn has never had a chance to be a true #1 because of L.T. and now Tebow. He may not be a superstar, but he is a reliable, effective weapon and I continue to root for him.

Greene is not a good RB. And, he will not make it through the season.

Sign Tim Hightower. Spread the carries around. Keep our guys fresh. Keep the D honest. Next year go after a back with elite capabilities in the first 2 rounds of the draft. So tired of this 2 yards and a cloud of dust running game.

It's definitely our biggest hole on the roster, especially since Howard has been a pleasant surprise, and Hill and Kerley have stepped up in their new roles in the offense under Sparano.

Right now we don't have a playmaker at the Running back position, and honestly, it's probably our weakest position on the football field. We might have the worst running back depth in the entire NFL. Greene is fumble/injury prone, and doesn't provide the big play ability at half back. McKnight is our only home run threat, but has not really provided a glimpse of it since his Trojan days, and Powell hasn't shown anything on game day.

We've been missing this playmaker since Leon, and it's really hurt us. We don't have an elite running back to run the cowbell 1 RB system, and it will hurt us in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    This is a joke of a post.

Jets have had the most dominant performance in a long time and you're blaming the RB.

Please!!!!!

Enjoy the win and worry about a game when the Jets lose.

Problem is, if you wait to lose to continue tinkering and making a better team. You'll be rebuilding soon.