Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: We need a #1 RB

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    I don't understand all of this hate for Greene.

He ran for 96 yds and a TD on Sunday. That's 3.5 yds per carry
    The average is skewed, he had a long run.

He has had plenty of opportunities and he is a second or third tier running back.
    Believe Powell will have more upside.
    Either way, he does not have it, sorry..

Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post

He has had plenty of opportunities and he is a second or third tier running back.
    You believe Powell has more upside based on what? A handful of plays? Have you already forgotten his breakaway TD in the playoffs vs. the Chargers? Have you forgotten his performance vs. the Colts in the AFC championship (4.1 yds per carry) and how we lost after he was injured?

I can't believe how ungrateful the Greene haters are. He has been nothing but a consistent performer who comes up big in big moments (i.e. TD vs. Pats in playoffs to clinch the win).

I like Powell and think he will contribute, but Greene is proven. He averaged 4.1 yds per carry in 2010 and 4.2 yds per carry in 2011 for over 1,000 yds despite sharing carries with L.T.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    He delivers a blow just ask rey maualuga just doesn't posses the balance to finish on a consistent basis.
    He just falls after the blow not to mention

A bigger problem is he still seems to have ball security issues which is really scary
    Quote Originally Posted by teng View Post
    Greene was never elusive but we knew that when we drafted him. Do I wish we had a better #1 back? Yes. Could we do worse? That is also a yes. The Bills front four was supposed to be a top 5 D-line going into the season so I'm not totally unhappy with Greene's final numbers. He even had a better day than Arian Foster. One thing that I REALLY DIDN'T LIKE was how he fumbled the ball TWICE today. We were lucky that they didn't result in turnovers. He fumbled once without anyone touching him and the other time as he was going in for a TD. I can't think of more egregious fumbles than those.
    Greene probably has the tiniest hands of any offensive skill player in the league. Something like 7.7 - 7.9 inch hands. You combine that with 27 carries he had in that Bills game...and you put Shonn at a higher risk of fumbling. Greene looked tired and a little banged up at the end of that game.

Last year he carried it around 250 times. Which IMO is about his limit for a regular season. Greene can't run it at a 25+ pace...which means 400+ times.

Jets need to make a decision here on finding someone to either fill the LT role of getting those 175 carries. Either from Powell or McKnight...who have decent catching ability. Or get someone else on the roster to share the 400+ carries with Greene, which the Jets aim to run.

It doesn't look like the Jets have the confidence that Powell or McKnight are capable of filling the LT role. They're not giving either one of them a chance to succeed...or a chance to fail. Which IMO...is what they have to do.

And Greene has no trade value...cause he's in the last year of his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Greene probably has the tiniest hands of any offensive skill player in the league. Something like 7.7 - 7.9 inch hands. You combine that with 27 carries he had in that Bills game...and you put Shonn at a higher risk of fumbling. Greene looked tired and a little banged up at the end of that game.

Last year he carried it around 250 times. Which IMO is about his limit for a regular season. Greene can't run it at a 25+ pace...which means 400+ times.

Jets need to make a decision here on finding someone to either fill the LT role of getting those 175 carries. Either from Powell or McKnight...who have decent catching ability. Or get someone else on the roster to share the 400+ carries with Greene, which the Jets aim to run.

It doesn't look like the Jets have the confidence that Powell or McKnight are capable of filling the LT role. They're not giving either one of them a chance to succeed...or a chance to fail. Which IMO...is what they have to do.

And Greene has no trade value...cause he's in the last year of his contract.
    If there's a team out there this year that wants Greene, of course he has trade value. It would be a "sign and trade" kind of deal.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Tim Hightower is available at the moment. That's about it. The issue with Green is that he has no homerun power and scares no one. He is an average RB in the mold of Rashard Mendenhal. A poor mans Turner if you will. You need a homerun guy at RB to have an elite ground and pound offense however. That is the difference between the Jets and teams like Houston and San Francisco.
    Houston?

Funny after week 1 you have Kubiak complaining about their running game, which averaged 2.4 yards per carry against Miami.

And here we just always complain. Even after 48 points and the whole building knowing we were going to run the ball in the 2nd half

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    I don't understand all of this hate for Greene.

He ran for 96 yds and a TD on Sunday. That's 3.5 yds per carry (which last I checked, equals over 10 yds over 3 downs) and a TD in a game with multiple passing and D/ST TD's. I'm happy with that considering he had to split carries with Powell and Tebow.

Shonn has never had a chance to be a true #1 because of L.T. and now Tebow. He may not be a superstar, but he is a reliable, effective weapon and I continue to root for him.
    I'm not sure if you realize this, but 3.5 yards per carry is ATROCIOUS.

It's really, really bad. Ideally, I want 4.5 yards per carry out of my running back. That can be adjusted all the way down to 4.2 depending on how many carries they get on 3rd & short and down by the goal line. (Arian Foster's ypc would be a lot higher if they didn't force feed him the ball inside the 5. That's how he gets so many TDs. The 49ers pound the ball in short yardage situations, lowering both of their backs' ypc.)

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I'm not sure if you realize this, but 3.5 yards per carry is ATROCIOUS.

It's really, really bad. Ideally, I want 4.5 yards per carry out of my running back. That can be adjusted all the way down to 4.2 depending on how many carries they get on 3rd & short and down by the goal line. (Arian Foster's ypc would be a lot higher if they didn't force feed him the ball inside the 5. That's how he gets so many TDs. The 49ers pound the ball in short yardage situations, lowering both of their backs' ypc.)
    I am hardly a Greene supporter but, like Jet Nut brought up, you have to take into account the fact they were running the ball with a large lead at times with the defense knowing they were going to run. If we are going to take into account short yardage and goal line carries, it would be fair to take game situation into account as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    Greene is a close the show 4th quarter running back. He lacks vision at the second level. Hes strong and delivers a hit but doesn't show the consistent ability/balance to break away after contact. It's good for establishing attitude. But he leaves way to many yards on the field. I like Greene and he has a place on the jets just not as a #1.

McKnight is a explosive running back without the BOOM. Been watching him since his USC days and he never seems to makes that last guy miss. Lacks that playmaker wiggle. Has all the moves has no idea how or when to use them. I've never been sold on McKnight and wish we woulda drafted Ronnie Hillman to replace him.

I think Powell is a good 3rd back lol And could develop into starting material not a home run hitter but a C.Martin type plain consistent play in and play out. He shows balance, vision, ability to make the first man miss, but seems overwhelmed by the moment. Maybe he will progress maybe not. I'm not holding my breath though.

I could go into more detail about it but I figure we are just stuck with 2's and 3's let's make it work.
    We have no blocking at the second level past the line of scrimage! It really dosent matter who is running the ball if our lineman can't block down field. I replayed the game last night and you see our O lineman on straight ahead running plays peeling off blocks at the point of attack, running downfield with the Greene behind them then the lineman are just stnading there looking around like they are lost while they have defenders right within there reach. On almost every play that his happened, that defender made the tackle. If we had a hat on them they would hvae most likeley turned into big plays. Just watch the tape. Even Mangold said they have to see where they went wrong with the run blocking. It stunk on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I am hardly a Greene supporter but, like Jet Nut brought up, you have to take into account the fact they were running the ball with a large lead at times with the defense knowing they were going to run. If we are going to take into account short yardage and goal line carries, it would be fair to take game situation into account as well.
    true. the jets last year used LT when they were down, he was a weapon in the passing game and the offense looked better. i think if the jets get down early in pittsburgh we'll see powell in there earlier, since he can catch and run (and block, so they say).

We have no blocking at the second level past the line of scrimage! It really dosent matter who is running the ball if our lineman can't block down field. I replayed the game last night and you see our O lineman on straight ahead running plays peeling off blocks at the point of attack, running downfield with the Greene behind them then the lineman are just stnading there looking around like they are lost while they have defenders right within there reach. On almost every play that his happened, that defender made the tackle. If we had a hat on them they would hvae most likeley turned into big plays. Just watch the tape. Even Mangold said they have to see where they went wrong with the run blocking. It stunk on Sunday.

That's why they call it an average. All RB's break-off big runs and they are averaged in...

He also had some runs with no gain - should those not be counted?

Greene is a quality NFL RB - certianly not the best in the league but a quality back.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The coaching staff has seen powell for 2 years now. If he was better then greene, he would be in there.
    LOL

You are so off sometimes it isn't even funny

If you mean a rookie season and week 1 as two years, than yes, they have seen him for two years.

It is only a matter of time before Powell starts getting more carries.

BTW, that Tebow starting week 8 prediction is looking rather stellar right now

All League
    Bilal looked spry and shifty, I would love to see more Bilal Powell

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    LOL

You are so off sometimes it isn't even funny

If you mean a rookie season and week 1 as two years, than yes, they have seen him for two years.

It is only a matter of time before Powell starts getting more carries.

BTW, that Tebow starting week 8 prediction is looking rather stellar right now
    True. Plus according to a bunch of reports from camp earlier this year, it appeared Powell was dinged up a lot last year causing him to miss some reps.

I would be very surprised if the Jets have Greene carry the ball 27 times against the Steeler defense. There is no way a back can make it through a season with that kind of work load every week.

Hall Of Fame
    I still believe in Greene, love him to wear down a defense and to run out the 4th quarter, but to me he's not a true "playmaker" back.

Seeing what Ray Rice did on Monday night made me a little envious thinking what our offense could look like with a true playmaker back there.

Maybe next years draft, 2nd round.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I still believe in Greene, love him to wear down a defense and to run out the 4th quarter, but to me he's not a true "playmaker" back.

Seeing what Ray Rice did on Monday night made me a little envious thinking what our offense could look like with a true playmaker back there.

Maybe next years draft, 2nd round.

_
    Yup. Even a Demarco Murray would be a difference maker. When holes are not there these other backs can still make things happen. Their ability to be a legit threat out of the backfield makes them even more versatile.

Hall Of Fame
    Yup. Even a Demarco Murray would be a difference maker. When holes are not there these other backs can still make things happen. Their ability to be a legit threat out of the backfield makes them even more versatile.
    It just seems like all of his plays are positive and he throws in those long gainers routinely--nice screen pass for 18 yards, nice couple of long runs, a nose for the endzone.

I get ground and pound, I do, but I would love to see a legit playmaker.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    It just seems like all of his plays are positive and he throws in those long gainers routinely--nice screen pass for 18 yards, nice couple of long runs, a nose for the endzone.

I get ground and pound, I do, but I would love to see a legit playmaker.

_
    Greene would be the perfect compliment to one of those backs.

The median yards per carry for every back in the league is either 2 or 3.

The separation in the mean yards per carry is determined by stops behind the line of scrimmage and long runs, the long runs more so than the stops behind the line.

Greene finished at the bottom of the league in broken tackles while rarely being stopped for negative yards. That means that he doesn't get tackled behind the line because defenders rarely get their hands on him behind the line, that's a credit to the offensive line. It's not like he's shrugging guys off in the backfield and fighting his way back to the LOS for no gain.

Hall Of Fame
    Greene would be the perfect compliment to one of those backs.
    Yeah, if McKnight were truly a poor-man's Reggie Bush, we would have quite a tandem.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he's even close to that.

_