Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the game

Hall Of Fame

Thumbs up Thoughts on the game

Just got home a little while ago. Today was a great day to be a Jet fan. I woke up this morning with a good feeling and I will be going to sleep with a smile on my face. I did not have to consume a single TUMS today. Last year I was popping them like candy on Sundays.

Overall, I was very pleased with the game. I think it was important for this team to get off to a good start. Two most encouraging things we the OL and Sanchez. Not a surprise as their success pretty much goes hand-in-hand. I think Rex and Pettine will fix up some of the problems on the defense.

Haven't re-watched the game yet other than some highlights so some of my thoughts might change.

Offense

Sanchez - One of the best games of his career. He played with poise and played fast. He was as decisive as I have ever seen him. Looks like he was seeing the defense in slow-motion. Still pushing the ball high on some throws but at the same time he also threw some of his WRs open.

Offensive Line - Overall it was the best game they have played as a unit in a while. Run blocking was not great but they got the job done. The pass blocking was amazing. First guy I want to point out is Austin Howard. Cannot understate how well he played. He did not only handle Mario Williams, he dominated him at times. I thought the interior of the OL (Mangold, Slauson, Moore) did not do a great job in run blocking but they did not allow the Bills to collapse the pocket on passes which is huge for Sanchez since he has a long stride. They allowed him to step into his throws and paid off. Brick looks like he is returning to form. Unfortunately I did not pay much attention to the TEs and RBs in their blocking. I assume that since I didn't notice anything, that they did their jobs well.

WRs - Hard not to get excited about Stephen Hill. Been trying to temper my enthusiasm b.c he is so inexperienced but he has certain abilities that cannot be taught. He got great separation in his routes and also did not allow himself to get pressed at the LOS. Only negative is that he catches the ball with his body even when he doesn't have to. Holmes looked good but was probably the most unlucky WR on the Jets today. Could have had 3 TDs. Kerley and Sanchez made a great hookup on the TD. Sanchez put it where only Kerley could catch it and Kerley made the adjustment.

RBs - Not much to talk about here. Greene was himself. If you give him 25+ carries he will get 100 yards. He is not going to run by anyone and will rarely make a person miss. Powell did not do much in the running game but he had one nice catch. Would like to see McKnight get some touches b.c I think he is our only HR threat in the backfield.

Tebow/Wildcat - First play of the game they had Tebow in the slot and he was open!! Aside from that I think the wildcat was benign today. Did not hurt us or help us. Although I did not like when we took the delay of game down by the goal line. I have been waiting to see the goal line Tebow offense and that penalty deprived me of that.

TEs - Looks like Keller still has the hammy issue. I think he had one catch. He did not play much. Cumberland was a pleasant surprise. He helped move the chains.

Defense

Have to say I am a little disappointed. I think the 4 turnovers helped cloak some poor performances. The TE is still an automatic. And there was s lot of poor tackling/pursuit by our LBs and Safeties.

I know some people are going to say I am nitpicking but the defense is supposed to the the strength of this team, therefore they should be held to a higher standard. I am not saying that things can't be fixed but there are some legitimate questions.

DL - No conventional passrush whatsoever. That goes against everyone. Coples and Pace both played poorly against the run. To be somewhat expected from Coples. It is normal for him to have growing pains. But I have been a big supporter of Pace here and there is no excuse for him. He did not look good. I do not know what the assignments are but it looks like they were undisciplined, I did not see anyone get manhandled. I am not sure how much of a difference Pouha would have made b.c it looked like we were getting beat off tackle and on the edges. Good news is that we have Karl Dunbar and he will likely get those issues fixed.

LBs - Not a great game for Harris or Scott. The missed tackles bother me more than anything. The DL did not help them in the run game though.

CBs - IMO the best duo in the league. Revis was Revis. Not much to talk about. A breath-taking INT and a couple of really nice pass breakups. Cro looks like he is finally putting everything together. I know it is just one game but this is something he showed all pre season. I think the mind has caught up with the body. I hope he never flips into the endzone again. Big shoutout to Wilson. I have been a big critic of his. He played a very good game. Great play on the INT. We have seen him flash before. The question with him is consistency.

Safeties - This is where I am going to get myself into some trouble. I did not think they played well, especially Landry. Landry is a BIG hitter. He is not good in coverage or a good/disciplined tackler. He is replacing one of the surest tacklers at the Safety position in Jim Leonhard. Landry took poor angles throughout the game and that is why you have 50 yard TD runs. I don't care about highlight hits. I want a guy that makes the tackles and does his job. What frustrates me with Landry is I know he is capable of it b.c he very talented. Taking the right pursuit angle is about discipline. Hopefully Rex will get this fixed. Have to re-watch the game to be sure but I say him take a horrible angle on one play that he collided with Scott and a couple of others he over ran.

Special Teams

Great game for the STs. We have the best STs coach in the NFL and it should. Folk looked very good on the kickoffs and his FG attempts. I think he benefited from his close battle with Brown in camp. Kerley had the spectacular punt return for the TD. I think we will see more of Malone next week but he did have that one great punt pinning Buffalo around the 5 yard line.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 09-09-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    A champion beats a team like this in their division 9 times out of ten. Lotta work to be done, looks to be heading in the right direction. Next week will get a better look at what we have, more importantly, what we don't have.

Good write-up. One of Sanchez's best games ever throwing the ball. He looked great, so did the OL and WRs. Running game was not very impressive. On D, we had issues with Spiller's speed, but we made a mediocre QB look a lot worse than mediocre. Fitzpatrick was horrible and our elite secondary had a lot to do with it.

I agree with you about the pass rush, I didn't see an obvious improvement in week 1 from last season.

You know I would normally tend to agree and criticize the defense, but this game was so lopsided they absolutely went to sleep at 41-7. They should never do that but it realty is human nature to do so ...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

nice writeup..

i wouldnt worry about the pass rush.. Fitz gets the ball out of his hand quickly. I also think the D was playing soft once they were up 3+ TDs in the 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Big shoutout to Wilson. I have been a big critic of his. He played a very good game. Great play on the INT. We have seen him flash before. The question with him is consistency.
    You do remember who was defending Wilson against you jackals right? This guy!

You're right. I want to see it for the season too. But still, this is his 3rd year. We are spoiled with Revis. No CB just steps in and plays great besides #24. Wilson made a Revis like INT today with his body movement and the cut on the ball. It was a little behind the receiver but he still undercut it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    You do remember who was defending Wilson against you jackals right? This guy!

You're right. I want to see it for the season too. But still, this is his 3rd year. We are spoiled with Revis. No CB just steps in and plays great besides #24. Wilson made a Revis like INT today with his body movement and the cut on the ball. It was a little behind the receiver but he still undercut it.
    Wilson looks good when he locates the football.

Next week is a big challenge. I think he might have to cover Brown on some plays.

good writeup but I think you are not giving landry enough credit. he had 7 tackles 2 QB hits and 1 FF. I can't remember the last time we had playmakers at the safety position, I was impressed by both him and bell in the secondary. IMO the jets do not place a premium on safeties that can cover since the team is so deep at corner. it seemed like they played nickle and dime for most of the game, I guess that's to be expected when you're up by multiple TD's and trying to kill the clock more than anything. not used to really having that problem, it was a welcome change of pace

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    nice writeup..

i wouldnt worry about the pass rush.. Fitz gets the ball out of his hand quickly. I also think the D was playing soft once they were up 3+ TDs in the 2nd half.
    Hardest QB to sack last year because they get the ball out quick.

I think you are spot on with your analysis of Landry. I kept thinking that he was taking poor angles but hopefully it's something that can be fixed.

All League
    PASS RUSH

Sacks
    +
    QB Hurries
    +
    QB Hits

We had a TON of QB hurries and a TON of QB hits. Better than last year, clearly.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    good writeup but I think you are not giving landry enough credit. he had 7 tackles 2 QB hits and 1 FF. I can't remember the last time we had playmakers at the safety position, I was impressed by both him and bell in the secondary. IMO the jets do not place a premium on safeties that can cover since the team is so deep at corner. it seemed like they played nickle and dime for most of the game, I guess that's to be expected when you're up by multiple TD's and trying to kill the clock more than anything. not used to really having that problem, it was a welcome change of pace
    The FF was after he got burned by Spiller. Everyone gets beat but our biggest problem was covering the TE and RBs. I do not consider Landry an upgrade in coverage. Or Bell. But the missed tackles is what bothered me the most. In 2009 and 2010 we were one of the better tackling teams in the league and we rarely gave up big plays b.c our safeties were disciplined and Leonhard was a great open field tackler.

I hope the Spiller runs were a fluke but I have seen Landry do that in Washington.

On the play Revis got hurt, he prevented what would have been a TD.

It is only week 1. But it is something I will be paying attention to. I expect the DL to get better but I think we are still going to get killed in the middle of the field.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... you're F'in crazy to criticize the D ...

... they playing lights out while the game was still up in the air ...

... landry is a BEAST! ...

... good stuff on the O & specials ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    I know the Bills run a quick passing game but there were plenty of times when he was standing in the pocket. And the INTs were not a result of the pass rush. Fitz just made some awful throws.

Again, I was speaking about our conventional pass rush with 4 rushers. Not when we blitzed.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The FF was after he got burned by Spiller. Everyone gets beat but our biggest problem was covering the TE and RBs. I do not consider Landry an upgrade in coverage. Or Bell. But the missed tackles is what bothered me the most. In 2009 and 2010 we were one of the better tackling teams in the league and we rarely gave up big plays b.c our safeties were disciplined and Leonhard was a great open field tackler.

I hope the Spiller runs were a fluke but I have seen Landry do that in Washington.

On the play Revis got hurt, he prevented what would have been a TD.

It is only week 1. But it is something I will be paying attention to. I expect the DL to get better but I think we are still going to get killed in the middle of the field.
    I agree again. Folks are focusing on the forced fumble but Landry got toasted right before that. And I agree about Leonhard. He might not haven't taken heads off but he usually made the tackle, even if while getting run over in the process.

Sanchez, Hill, Cumberland, and Howard!

Could we really have gotten this lucky with Howard?

What a game by out new Rt!

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... you're F'in crazy to criticize the D ...

... they playing lights out while the game was still up in the air ...

... landry is a BEAST! ...

... good stuff on the O & specials ...

l_j_r
    The defense might've have let up a bit but it still gave up three straight TD drives. That would cost you the game most weeks. And I think Buffalo actually outgained us. Just being nitpicky.

Quote Originally Posted by teng View Post
    The defense might've have let up a bit but it still gave up three straight TD drives. That would cost you the game most weeks. And I think Buffalo actually outgained us. Just being nitpicky.
    true but when was the last time the jets had a big enough lead to play prevent defense?

Hall Of Fame
    I don't think it is nitpicking. Our defense is supposed to be near the top of the league. They should be held to a higher standard.

And if they "let up" then that is an indictment on Rex and Pettine. I do not think that was the case, I just think the tackling was poor and our DL was a little undisciplined.

Veteran
    I think Mark played better than the WRs. The only WR I was really impressed with was Kerley. He makes adjustments to the ball and puts him self in position to make a play after he catches it. We were force feeding the ball to Holmes again, I don't like this, and Holmes was pouting already. I think Holmes is the 3rd best recieveing option we have now behind Kerley and Keller. Holmes' circus non catch was nice, but still he needs to come down with that. We still don't have a WR that is a playmaker.

Holmes, Hill, and Shillens all did alright but they don't make any plays once they get the ball. I think Hill will learn as he goes, and right now getting open and catching the ball is more than I expected from him this early. I still think he is 2 years away from being a big factor for us, but so far so good.
    Last edited by Funaz; 09-09-2012 at 09:02 PM.