Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on the game

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I don't think it is nitpicking. Our defense is supposed to be near the top of the league. They should be held to a higher standard.

And if they "let up" then that is an indictment on Rex and Pettine. I do not think that was the case, I just think the tackling was poor and our DL was a little undisciplined.
    I don't think they "let up". I think we were in nickel to stop the spread attack. I also think we still have many of the same problems as last year. Not good against fast RBs that can get to the edge, and not good at covering TEs.

Wilson had a pick because Fitz threw a pass behind the wr. He was trailing his guy like always.

I like landry. Not a good cover saftey which we knew, but EVERY hit he lays on someone is a meaningful one. I like what I saw and if he hits Gronk in the back a few times after he catches balls I'll be happy.

I don't think it is nitpicking. Our defense is supposed to be near the top of the league. They should be held to a higher standard.

And if they "let up" then that is an indictment on Rex and Pettine. I do not think that was the case, I just think the tackling was poor and our DL was a little undisciplined.
    in that situation though the idea is to sacrifice the run at the expense of running the clock by defending the run with straight nickle and dime. however I'm sure they did give up a little more than they would have liked, but there was no reason to risk giving up long passes with such a big lead

The defense didn't play well as a group in the 4th quarter. It's hard for me to criticize though, they won the game and that is the important thing.

The Jets defense will need to play much better if they plan on winning against the Steelers. I believe they can do it also. We'll have to see.

I do know that Rex mentioned poor tackling/inattention to detail to the defense in his postgame speech to the players. This is something Rex never would have done in the past. If the Jets won, he normally wouldn't say a word. This bears mentioning. Rex said he was going to change his ways and take a more hands on approach with the entire team after last season. I believe mentioning that the defense had problems is a step in the right direction.

Tackling, penalty free play, attention to detail, etc. those are all things that Rex would normally ignore and wouldn't get on the players about. That's what separates Rex from being a great HC. But even mentioning it IMO, shows that he's serious about changing those problems permanently.

Agreed. I am sure Rex found this to be a completely unacceptable performance by the front 7 (because it was). The secondary was incredible. As you pointed out too, he wasn't under pressure on his picks, they were a mixture of awful throws and great coverage

D looked good to start the game but definitely seem to let up as the score ran up. I agree there were times where Fitzpatrick had way too much time in the pocket to throw, but I'm confident that the CS will get the bugs worked out with the defense (that is what they do best).

WRs - Hard not to get excited about Stephen Hill. Been trying to temper my enthusiasm b.c he is so inexperienced but he has certain abilities that cannot be taught. He got great separation in his routes and also did not allow himself to get pressed at the LOS. Only negative is that he catches the ball with his body even when he doesn't have to.
    Just like Braylon. Hopefully he doesn't have the case of the dropsies in the future....

Folk looked very good on the kickoffs and his FG attempts. I think he benefited from his close battle with Brown in camp.
    Actually, I think Folk benefitted from the change in where the ball is now being kicked from. I believe it used to be kicked from the 20 Yard line and now it's from the 25-yard line or something like that...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post

Actually, I think Folk benefitted from the change in where the ball is now being kicked from. I believe it used to be kicked from the 20 Yard line and now it's from the 25-yard line or something like that...
    LOL. That too.

I was referring to his FGs. Right down the middle.

All League
    The defense slacked in the 2nd half, so I wouldn't go crazy. When the game was tight they were fine. They had the one play with Spiller, but that was Lazy tacking in what looked to me like dime defense. That is fixable. The rest I can't take seriously in a blowout game. Rather not have anyone injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I think Mark played better than the WRs. The only WR I was really impressed with was Kerley. He makes adjustments to the ball and puts him self in position to make a play after he catches it. We were force feeding the ball to Holmes again, I don't like this, and Holmes was pouting already. I think Holmes is the 3rd best recieveing option we have now behind Kerley and Keller. Holmes' circus non catch was nice, but still he needs to come down with that. We still don't have a WR that is a playmaker.

Holmes, Hill, and Shillens all did alright but they don't make any plays once they get the ball. I think Hill will learn as he goes, and right now getting open and catching the ball is more than I expected from him this early. I still think he is 2 years away from being a big factor for us, but so far so good.
    Mark played well, but so did the WR's. No bad drops, Mark was late on the Hill throw, we just have never had a WR that big and that fast, he beat his guy by 10 yards, by the time the ball got to him he was only 1 yard behind his man. Still it was an awesome pump/fake by Mark.

A few other throws we're just ok, the int was a bad play. The Holmes throw in the end zone could have been better. There was a 3rd down throw to Kerley inside the redzone that was too far outside and forced him out of balance.
    That throw could have been better too.

Don't be fooled by that bad Buffalo defense... In future games, Maek won't be afforded the time or have WRs as wide open as they were this week.

Not saying he can't do it, just that it won't be as easy.

Hall Of Fame
    Bills were horrible in the secondary yesterday. Mark hasn't seen guys that open since he was at USC.

The key was the OL. As big as Howard is, he seems to be very athletic. He was on an island with Williams yesterday. Same goes for Brick on the other side. And Slauson and Moore did a great job with Williams and Dareus. They did not let them push the pocket. I think our OL may end up being better at pass blocking than run blocking.

I would have like to see a "killer instinct" displayed by the D yesterday. They did well early and then relaxed a bit in the second half with the big lead. I wish they would have pinned their ears back and gone after Fitzpatrick. With all the passing he was doing his face should have been planted in the turf 5 times yesterday. It could have been a dominant game for the Defense (though 3 INT's isn't bad ! ).

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I don't think they "let up". I think we were in nickel to stop the spread attack. I also think we still have many of the same problems as last year. Not good against fast RBs that can get to the edge, and not good at covering TEs.

Wilson had a pick because Fitz threw a pass behind the wr. He was trailing his guy like always.

I like landry. Not a good cover saftey which we knew, but EVERY hit he lays on someone is a meaningful one. I like what I saw and if he hits Gronk in the back a few times after he catches balls I'll be happy.
    I hopeRex can correct this. The steelers have very fast running backs and WR's.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Hardest QB to sack last year because they get the ball out quick.
    Agreed...he was hit and rushed all day even though sacks dont show up as a big deal. POOR tackling is gonna haunt this team if not remedied.

Landry and Scott both missing tackles was frustrating.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Landry and Scott both missing tackles was frustrating.
    That spiller TD run was all on Bart. He tried that bull$hit ball swipe move when he should have wrapped him up.