Thread: Home Audio Help

Home Audio Help

Hey guys, old-ass receiver just went out out back.

The set-up: kind of primitive but it works:

-Old stereo, raw speaker wire going in from 4 speakers: 2 that the previous owner left me over the deck; 2 out by the pool I put in. Use AUX IN cord connected to Airport Express, to which I stream computer or iPhone music.

-Receiver keeps shutting out, so my question is - do I just buy another old receiver? Is that the only thing that will take raw speaker wire? Or is there a new iPod/iPhone docking system that you know of?

DC

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by dcronin View Post

-Old stereo, raw speaker wire going in from 4 speakers: 2 that the previous owner left me over the deck; 2 out by the pool I put in. Use AUX IN cord connected to Airport Express, to which I stream computer or iPhone music.

-Receiver keeps shutting out, so my question is - do I just buy another old receiver? Is that the only thing that will take raw speaker wire? Or is there a new iPod/iPhone docking system that you know of?

DC
    Why don't you just buy a new receiver, you cheap ****?

Just wanted to see if there were any better/more modern options.

Jets Insider VIP
    Just wanted to see if there were any better/more modern options.
    Are the speakers old too? Not sure about old fashioned speaker wire in the back of receivers, but my newer HTIB basically has the same method for the speaker connections.

Just stick the wire in the back and off you go - best bet is to check craigslist.

Speakers are fine - they just end in raw speaker wire.

What's an HTIB?

DC

Jets Insider VIP
    Speakers are fine - they just end in raw speaker wire.

What's an HTIB?

DC

Sorry - 'Home Theater In A Box' where you get your receiver and speakers all in a set. You can a pretty decent receiver with some new speakers to boot for not a lot of money.

How far from the speakers will you be sitting?

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    How far from the speakers will you be sitting?
    How is that relevant? Especially when you didn't even ask him how long his nose is.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

DC
    New stereo systems use "Raw" speaker wire also. They also have docks that you can use for Ipods, etc.

You can also purchase a decent multi-channel receiver for about $500

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    New stereo systems use "Raw" speaker wire also. They also have docks that you can use for Ipods, etc.

I knew eventually someone would show up that knew what they were talking about.

I would highly recommend anything Onkyo - they are a lot of good ones that are very reasonable.

Am I reading this right that you only need to power 2 pairs of outdoor speakers? If so you can get something decent for far less than $500, more like $300 and under. And yes, stick with a quality brand like Onkyo, or my preference, Denon.
    Last edited by GuidoYaztremski; 09-10-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Veteran
    Older will almost always sound better. Anything new under 500$ is hardly worth it. Pick up an old 70's Marantz receiver or something comparable off eBay and you'll be happy. Especially if you're already used to older stuff.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Am I reading this right that you only need to power 2 pairs of outdoor speakers? If so you can get something decent for far less than $500, more like $300 and under. And yes, stick with a quality brand like Onkyo, or my preference, Denon.
    I have one Onkyo and 2 Yamaha systems. I like what Yamaha is doing more these days, but they are comparable.

What sucks on these new receivers is that they recommend you interpolate your HD signal through the receiver. The problem with that is you can't watch your tv with a separate audio signal playing. You can get around that by having your signal go directly from your box (cable or satellite) and then have an optical feed the audio from the receiver.

I have one Onkyo and 2 Yamaha systems. I like what Yamaha is doing more these days, but they are comparable.

What sucks on these new receivers is that they recommend you interpolate your HD signal through the receiver. The problem with that is you can't watch your tv with a separate audio signal playing. You can get around that by having your signal go directly from your box (cable or satellite) and then have an optical feed the audio from the receiver.
    Majority of the modern integrated amplifiers have a "home theater" mode, when they used just like regular amplifier (bypassing preamp circuit). The best quality solution will be to drive front speakers with such stereo amplifier (I am using Krell 400xi for many years), feeding the "HT" input from preamp outputs of your processor or receiver. Then you put receiver on mute and switch an amp to other inputs. I can watch for example a football game and listen to my record player with no problems whatsover. And I can swtch all my HT source devices with processor. The best of both worlds.