Thread: Georgia Tech

Georgia Tech

Did they change their offense once Demaryius Thomas left school? Seems as if Thomas and Hill played one year together in 2009. They remind my of each other. Thing is Thomas had some nice stats in college while Hill had hardly any at all.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceMehl View Post
    Did they change their offense once Demaryius Thomas left school? Seems as if Thomas and Hill played one year together in 2009. They remind my of each other. Thing is Thomas had some nice stats in college while Hill had hardly any at all.
    They hired the Navy coach and he put the option offense in

I'm not sure I get the question.

Tech plays the spread option offense.

Now, I think they have been hanging out with their basketball scouts trying to steal talent and convert them to WRs.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceMehl View Post
    I think 2009 was the first year for the new coach. So, DT only played one year in the offense that Hill played in. They are both great athletes, Hill probably a little more athletic, but DT was more polished.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    I think 2009 was the first year for the new coach. So, DT only played one year in the offense that Hill played in. They are both great athletes, Hill probably a little more athletic, but DT was more polished.
    That makes sense. So I assume Hill was expecting to go to a school that ran a "traditional" offense and then the coaching change happened.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I'm not sure I get the question.

Tech plays the spread option offense.

Now, I think they have been hanging out with their basketball scouts trying to steal talent and convert them to WRs.
    GT plays a triple option with more in common with the wishbone than the "spread" run by teams like WVU. I believe he calls it the Flexbone.

Tthey had a different offense when Megatron was there and played under Chan Gailey.

Paul Johnson took over in 2008 and runs the Triple Option. D Thomas came to Tech under Gailey and stayed after Johnson came in. Think he might have redshirted somewhere in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Tthey had a different offense when Megatron was there and played under Chan Gailey.

Paul Johnson took over in 2008 and runs the Triple Option. D Thomas came to Tech under Gailey and stayed after Johnson came in. Think he might have redshirted somewhere in there.
    2008 is right. For some reason, I thought 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    GT plays a triple option with more in common with the wishbone than the "spread" run by teams like WVU. I believe he calls it the Flexbone.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...option-offense

"Georgia Tech's Johnson explains spread-option offense

There are plenty of misconceptions still surrounding Paul Johnson's spread-option offense, despite the fact he's been using it for oh, about two decades."
    Pretty sure it's called the spread option.

All League
    Pretty sure it's called the spread option.
    He can call it what he wants, but it s a variation of the Wishbone. It relies on the triple option and a heavy dose of running plays.

In CFB, the "spread option" is typically more pass oriented. Dana HolGoson at WVU runs a great version of it.

He can call it what he wants, but it s a variation of the Wishbone. It relies on the triple option and a heavy dose of running plays.

In CFB, the "spread option" is typically more pass oriented. Dana HolGoson at WVU runs a great version of it.
    Yeah, I get what you mean. But the guy's been running it forever and they all call it the spread option. I'm certainly not gonna sit here and pretend that I know all these offenses. I googled that sh1t... mostly because I knew it was the option but I wasn't sure if it was the triple option or something else. So we have that in common I suppose.

All League
    Yeah, I get what you mean. But the guy's been running it forever and they all call it the spread option. I'm certainly not gonna sit here and pretend that I know all these offenses. I googled that sh1t... mostly because I knew it was the option but I wasn't sure if it was the triple option or something else. So we have that in common I suppose.
    Whatever he runs, he has done pretty well with it over the years.

One advantage of his offense is that most teams don't run anything like it anymore. Suppose a team runs the spread and plays 8 other teams running some version of the spread, they only get 1 week to retool there defense to stop the pitch.

Kind of yes, kind of no. Urban Meyers runs the Spread Option and it's heavy on the run, though it still features a lot of passing. Same with Rich Rodriguez.

Dana Holgorsen's offense is a hybrid of the Air Raid offense, which was developed by Hal Mumme and Mike Leach.

BTW, so many of these offenses take bits and pieces from a number of different offenses, so it's really kind of difficult to pigeon hole things anymore.

For example, last year, Texas A&M with Tannehill was running a hybrid WCO/Read Option offense.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    BTW, so many of these offenses take bits and pieces from a number of different offenses, so it's really kind of difficult to pigeon hole things anymore.

For example, last year, Texas A&M with Tannehill was running a hybrid WCO/Read Option offense.
    Maybe the Dolphins should switch to that becaue whatever they ran yesterday didn't work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Maybe the Dolphins should switch to that becaue whatever they ran yesterday didn't work very well.
    Maybe so.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    I cannot believe that Tannyhill went so high in the draft. For most of his time in Aggieland, he was such a great QB prospect that they had him playing WR. Once he finally became the starter, he NEVER won the big game and got his coach fired. Oops - that coach would be the Dolphins OC.

He has Ryan Leaf written all over him.

I cannot believe that Tannyhill went so high in the draft. For most of his time in Aggieland, he was such a great QB prospect that they had him playing WR. Once he finally became the starter, he NEVER won the big game and got his coach fired. Oops - that coach would be the Dolphins OC.

He has Ryan Leaf written all over him.
    Have to disagree here. I hope he sucks, but mike sherman (His current OC) was the one that benched him for Mcgee in his first year. Mcgee was more experienced and sometimes it takes QBs a couple of years to develop in college. Virtually every college team passed on Aaron Rodgers and look what he has evolved into.

The fact that Sherman was the one that benched him and was then the one that was part of the team that chose to draft shows me that he has what it takes.