Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 78 of 78

Thread: What is the reason for the offensive explosion?

  1. #61
    a good tempo by sparano and a decisive sanchez

  2. #62
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    ft lauderdale
    Posts
    1,580
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    I disagree. The Kerley TD was a designed change of speed play. Run to the front of the EZ, sit, then time the break with the QB. Lull the DB to sleep, then break. It's a system designed to beat man coverage. Unlike Shotty that ran a monotone pass system, this system relies on stunts, different speed routes etc. Remember the ball that went over Santonio's head? That was a similar play. Holmes ran soft then turned on the jets (npi) late. so he totally beat his man. Sanchez just misread Santonio's break on that play.

    It's a classic offensive system designed to create mismatches! Isolate your receiver one on one and use a variety of techniques to create opportunities. It actually is a Parcells philosophy and is used by many teams throughout the league. It takes pressure of the QB because not every play is a complex combo--route which requires the QB to make hard reads. So, it gives the QB five to eight easy reads a day with high percentages for success.
    You are absolutely right, the pats use that all the time with their tight ends, groks td yesterday was a good example of it

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    Sparano and no shotty?
    No Wayne hunter?
    More matured Sanchez?
    Faster receivers?
    Buffalo defense?
    probably a little of all of those reasons you mention. The biggest is Schotty being gone. That is addition by subtraction.

    But Wayne Hunter being gone is huge also. The guy was just a f*cking train wreck and he had to go. It appears Sanchez is a more mature QB. Stephen Hill added another big play WR, and yes, the Buffalo defense sucked worse than any defense I've seen in a very long time.

  4. #64
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread...I think the replacement refs had a major part in the "offensive explosion" week 1 and their lack of calling penalties, especially holding penalties...


    Pro Football Weekly ‏@ProFootballWkly
    RT @NFLfootballinfo: 791 points scored in Week 1 are most ever on Kickoff Weekend & 2nd-most for any week in NFL history

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread...I think the replacement refs had a major part in the "offensive explosion" week 1 and their lack of calling penalties, especially holding penalties...


    Pro Football Weekly ‏@ProFootballWkly
    RT @NFLfootballinfo: 791 points scored in Week 1 are most ever on Kickoff Weekend & 2nd-most for any week in NFL history
    that could also help explain why spiller crapped all over the jets.

  6. #66
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    2,497
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread...I think the replacement refs had a major part in the "offensive explosion" week 1 and their lack of calling penalties, especially holding penalties...


    Pro Football Weekly ‏@ProFootballWkly
    RT @NFLfootballinfo: 791 points scored in Week 1 are most ever on Kickoff Weekend & 2nd-most for any week in NFL history
    ESPN put up a stat. The replacement refs called .3 fewer penalties a game then the other refs last year on opening week. Week 1 is always wacky and never is a good indicator of how the season is going to go.

    last year everyone I think most teams scored under 20 points on opening week. Its just the randomness of Week 1.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    ESPN put up a stat. The replacement refs called .3 fewer penalties a game then the other refs last year on opening week. Week 1 is always wacky and never is a good indicator of how the season is going to go.

    last year everyone I think most teams scored under 20 points on opening week. Its just the randomness of Week 1.
    But did they breakdown the type of penalties?

    Kirwan said the refs this weekend called more PI penalties than '10 & '11 week 1 combined. Obviously, PI penalty helps the 0...I don't recall seeing many O holding calls...

  8. #68
    I swear, is C Mart a "realist". Geez.

  9. #69
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Central Jersey
    Posts
    686
    Quote Originally Posted by bcess View Post
    Sparano and no shotty?
    No Wayne hunter?
    More matured Sanchez?
    Faster receivers?
    Buffalo defense?
    You list good reasons for Jet fans to be optimistic in 2012. Iím not taking away from a great win given our meltdown last year and the tumultuous off-season, but it is Buffalo. Maybe we just have their number. Last two seasons, we swept:

    10/3/2010: 38-14
    11/2/2010: 38-7
    11/6/2011: 27-11
    11/27/2011: 28-24

    Letís hope this is a sign of things to come.

  10. #70
    Buffalo defense.

    Those guys are that bad.

  11. #71
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    648
    Yes, the Bills D was bad--- BUT, it is possible that the Jets O is what made them look that bad. Plenty of negative fans also said that the pass rush of the Bills, alone, would give the Jets major problems. Even those that picked the Jets to win, did not see this kind of output coming. Sanchez IS a good QB, the O-line is NOT as bad as a lot of people thought, and the WRs CAN get separation.... that is why they "exploded".

    Another thing overlooked, is that the team played in sync and completely together..... something that a "circus like" atmosphere, in the locker room, and a coach that's lost his team, does not produce on the field.

  12. #72
    the jets caused 4 turnovers and had a punt return td.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    that could also help explain why spiller crapped all over the jets.
    There was a holding call that could have been made on Cordy Glenn, grabbing Coples, on the first long Spiller run.

    It's weird going through the Week 1 games. I'm up to Colts-Bears and so far I've seen more holding calls on passing plays than running plays. That definitely has not been the case for the last few years. And it's not that holding, in general, seems to be up, you're just not seeing the long runs called back for holding.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    There was a holding call that could have been made on Cordy Glenn, grabbing Coples, on the first long Spiller run.

    It's weird going through the Week 1 games. I'm up to Colts-Bears and so far I've seen more holding calls on passing plays than running plays. That definitely has not been the case for the last few years. And it's not that holding, in general, seems to be up, you're just not seeing the long runs called back for holding.
    it's also easier to see on passing plays. if a guy gets by hunter, for example, and is headed towards sanchez and hunter grabs the guy from behind and takes him down, that's an easy holding call to make. but if it's a running play and greene plows into the pile and hunter grabs the guy in a scrum they may not call it there.

  15. #75
    turnovers, time and coaching. the second two were seriously lacking on the o side of the ball last season. schitty even admitted as much when he said he stays by himself between offensive series to contemplate the game and the plays. no exactly the way to keep your young qb focused or your oline focused. from what i could tell, tebow and sanchez played their plays the way they were called. winning certainly helps sanchez share the ball more and he wasn't sacked. nice work by the oline and receivers. there is no reason why they can't do well against pitt.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    turnovers, time and coaching. the second two were seriously lacking on the o side of the ball last season. schitty even admitted as much when he said he stays by himself between offensive series to contemplate the game and the plays. no exactly the way to keep your young qb focused or your oline focused. from what i could tell, tebow and sanchez played their plays the way they were called. winning certainly helps sanchez share the ball more and he wasn't sacked. nice work by the oline and receivers. there is no reason why they can't do well against pitt.
    You would think so, but for the last few years you almost never see holding called during pass plays. I'm convinced that the league has told the officials to let it go, unless it's blatant, in an attempt to reduce the number of hits on QBs.

  17. #77
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,675
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    You would think so, but for the last few years you almost never see holding called during pass plays. I'm convinced that the league has told the officials to let it go, unless it's blatant, in an attempt to reduce the number of hits on QBs.
    It would fit with their (the league) wanting to protect the QB more and have more dynamic passing plays. It makes sense on a lot of levels.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    Buffalo defense.

    Those guys are that bad.
    As bad as the Bills' D is you have to give the Jets' offense credit. Especially Sanchez.


    No Schotty = Improved QB

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us