Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can We beat the Patriots?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Can We beat the Patriots?

I don't mean "can we beat them once?" or "can we beat them head to head?" I mean can we wrestle the AFC East from them?

As much as I think we can take one from them on any given Sunday, I honestly don't know if we beat them and our opponents consistently enough to take ove the AFCE. Looking at what we saw today:

Our D is possibly the best in the league. Pats can't match it though I do have to say their defense looks improved, possibly able to finish in the top ten. They have a legit pass rush and very good run D, but poor pass coverage still when it breaks down.

Their Offense might be the best in the league. We made quantum leaps today on offense, showing improvement everywhere and our D is stellar. Can we murk teams the same way they can?

I still see us as second fiddle in this division unfortunately.
    Last edited by JetsFan24; 09-09-2012 at 11:34 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take the division???

Probably not,

Lets take it one game at a time though.

Not happy Pitt lost tonight, thought we would have an edge if they weren't facing the possibility of being 0-2.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We will have to beat them twice to win the division, they just don't lose games they should win like we will.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see how today changed anything. Pats will win 13 games this season. I don't see how we could be consistent enough to do that. Let's just worry about Pittsburgh next week

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously this is a question looming in everyone's head. But I'm really not worried about answering that until the week we play 'em. @ Pittsburgh should be a nice early season litmus test for the Jets. I think we will beat them after watching both teams today.

99% chance NE will still win the division. Brady simply doesn't lose to inferior teams more than once or twice a year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    I don't see how today changed anything. Pats will win 13 games this season. I don't see how we could be consistent enough to do that. Let's just worry about Pittsburgh next week
    Only thing we can hope for is the Pats o line problems hurt them enough on O to drop a few gimme games. Otherwise they are just too consistent, it would likely come down to the final game of the year if we were able to do it.

ps - this thread link has probably been posted on patsfans.com over a dozen time

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    Obviously this is a question looming in everyone's head. But I'm really not worried about answering that until the week we play 'em. @ Pittsburgh should be a nice early season litmus test for the Jets. I think we will beat them after watching both teams today.

99% chance NE will still win the division. Brady simply doesn't lose to inferior teams more than once or twice a year.
    Steelers played a much better opponent than we did and will be at home. I don't know how much today will factor into next week. That's a tough game in a tough place to play.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Steelers played a much better opponent than we did and will be at home. I don't know how much today will factor into next week. That's a tough game in a tough place to play.
    The Steelers did not play well on offense against a team that was pretty lousy defensively last year. They looked flat. I am confident that our D can match up with the Steelers' O. It'll come down to Sanchez and how many plays he can make against the Pittsburgh defense. After today's win, I'm confident.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Win the division over them? We've got a shot, sure. But it's been one week, and they looked pretty good too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    We will have to beat them twice to win the division, they just don't lose games they should win like we will.
    This.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Their defense at least on the front end is better but their secondary still can be exploited. Though the fact that they held Tennessee to 20 total rushing yards is concerning. Chandler Jones looked like a playmaker and while they gave up a lot of passing yards they limited points and held the opposition to 35% on third down.

Offensively their line is worse than last year and could be exploited. Despite a drop Lloyd made some plays as did the Tight Ends. Ridley's rushing success is also troublesome.

Of course they were playing a mediocre team and it remains to be seen how they'll fair against tougher opposition.

They are a very beatable team but I still suspect that they'll win the division again.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    can we beat the steelers first?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    can we beat the steelers first?
    +1. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quit the Nitpicking and Enjoy It!!!

Whatever.
    Last edited by regen; 09-10-2012 at 12:19 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to see the offense another couple of weeks before I get too pumped, but if we can consistently move the ball we will be very dangerous. We've done pretty well playing just Defense and special teams. If our offense can hold it's own we'll be right there with them to the end. Shotty may very well be this years MVP.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about we worry about ****tsburg first.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFan24 View Post
    I don't mean "can we beat them once?" or "can we beat them head to head?" I mean can we wrestle the AFC East from them?

As much as I think we can take one from them on any given Sunday, I honestly don't know if we beat them and our opponents consistently enough to take ove the AFCE. Looking at what we saw today:

Our D is possibly the best in the league. Pats can't match it though I do have to say their defense looks improved, possibly able to finish in the top ten. They have a legit pass rush and very good run D, but poor pass coverage still when it breaks down.

Their Offense might be the best in the league. We made quantum leaps today on offense, showing improvement everywhere and our D is stellar. Can we murk teams the same way they can?

I still see us as second fiddle in this division unfortunately.
    To take the division which is really Patsies division right now, The Jets need to beat them twice in a business as usual fashion. The times the Jets have beat them in recent history, it has been a huge emotional win then the next week come out flat.

The jets need to beat the Patsies soundly and be ready for the next opponent if they want a shot at the division.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    +1. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
    +2

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best defense in the league?

Our secondary may be the best, but we gave up 195 yards on the ground today. Best defenses don't do that.

I mean, Spiller is lightning in a bottle, but still.

Hopefully getting Pouha back this week will help shore up the problem.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by InsideBlitz View Post
    How about we worry about ****tsburg first.
    This. Don't overestimate a victory over the Bills. Let's see if we can stand against a better team first.