No altitude,

Just a good spot in Titletown

All Pro
    Took me a moment.

It's spelled Akers.

Veteran
    Holy crossbar, akersman!

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    He was McNabbs best friend.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Somewhat of a meaningless observation, but considering it was a 63 yarder, the Packers were correct in having someone back there in the endzone. Now, I realize the primary role of that guy is to potentially return a short kick, but equally as important is to try and block a kick that merely eeks over the crossbar. So who do the Packers put back there? Randall Cobb....all 5'10 of him. He barely was able to touch the crossbar let alone block it.

There has to be someone who is taller with better ups. That ball should have been blocked.

If it were the Jets, I want Stephen Hill back there, not Jeremy Kerley.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Somewhat of a meaningless observation, but considering it was a 63 yarder, the Packers were correct in having someone back there in the endzone. Now, I realize the primary role of that guy is to potentially return a short kick, but equally as important is to try and block a kick that merely eeks over the crossbar. So who do the Packers put back there? Randall Cobb....all 5'10 of him. He barely was able to touch the crossbar let alone block it.

There has to be someone who is taller with better ups. That ball should have been blocked.

If it were the Jets, I want Stephen Hill back there, not Jeremy Kerley.
    That's a 15 yard penalty if he touches the ball, no idea why he was trying to do it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    That's a 15 yard penalty if he touches the ball, no idea why he was trying to do it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Talk to me about that. You can't block a FG whilst standing in the endzone? Since when? If that's the case, I obviously take back my post. Didn't realize that.

What's the call....goaltending?

I would like a clarification on that as well. Why can you block a kick, but not block it at goal post?

Apparently it's at the discretion of the ref and he could away points instead of a penalty.
    GOAL TENDING
    (s) Goal-tending by a defensive player leaping up to deflect a kick as it passes above the crossbar of a
    goalpost is prohibited. The Referee could award three points for a palpably unfair act (12-3-3).

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    Apparently it's at the discretion of the ref and he could away points instead of a penalty.
    GOAL TENDING
    (s) Goal-tending by a defensive player leaping up to deflect a kick as it passes above the crossbar of a
    goalpost is prohibited. The Referee could award three points for a palpably unfair act (12-3-3).
    Thanks for that. I was just joking, but its actually called Goaltending! I'm shocked that a) its a rule and b) I didn't know that. I figured that's something I would have heard of. I thought I had seen someone try it, but I must be misremembering.

Too bad - Stephen Hill would be perfect for that job.

Veteran
    15 yard penalty enforced on what though? They offense gets to move up and kick again? That's the only way it makes sense.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by JetHeel23 View Post
    15 yard penalty enforced on what though? They offense gets to move up and kick again? That's the only way it makes sense.
    Or get a first down and the drive continues. But, seeing as if its likely to be the end of the half/game, yes, they get to kick from 15 yards closer as a drive can't end on a defensive penalty. Presumably that would be an easier kick.

Or, as Syracuse posted, the ref could award the FG if he wants. But what if he awards the FG but the team would rather take the 15 yards and first down? I wonder if they have the choice?