Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greatest pre-season scam of all time?

Greatest pre-season scam of all time?

I don't think anyone can doubt that Rex and the team scammed the world with their pre-season. And they "hid in the open" by saying all along "we are just playing vanilla." I'm even starting to wonder if some of the injuries and "disappointment" statements like Kerley's were exaggerated?

Has anyone ever seen a team take this approach and pull it off the way we did?

And the best part is statements like Sanchez's post game about we haven't shown it all yet.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    I don't think anyone can doubt that Rex and the team scammed the world with their pre-season. And they "hid in the open" by saying all along "we are just playing vanilla." I'm even starting to wonder if some of the injuries and "disappointment" statements like Kerley's were exaggerated?

Has anyone ever seen a team take this approach and pull it off the way we did?

And the best part is statements like Sanchez's post game about we haven't shown it all yet.
    I don't think Rex intended to scam the media or the fans. But he definitely did intend to scam the bills and it worked.

All League
    All I can say is our preseason has NOTHING to do with our regular season. It's in the past and clearly one had nothing to do with the other.

Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    I don't think Rex intended to scam the media or the fans. But he definitely did intend to scam the bills and it worked.
    You're kidding right? I don't mean it as a negative, its one more skill in our arsenal.

It wasn't a scam..It was preseason..It's like that every preseason..They play vanilla, hardly, if at all, game plan...They run plays they want to practice...It wasn't a scam..Nevermind the fact that 3 of the 4 WRs hardly played in preseason due to injury

Also, it was 1 game. There are still 15 to go

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    It wasn't a scam..It was preseason..It's like that every preseason..They play vanilla, hardly, if at all, game plan...They run plays they want to practice...It wasn't a scam..Nevermind the fact that 3 of the 4 WRs hardly played in preseason due to injury

.. How do u know the jets wR"s were hurt anyway.. Do u have facts????????????? Some fans act like they know everyting...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He said he he was going to improve the offense.

Made changes to do just that.

Too many here jumped on the stupid bandwagon claiming he was clueless when it comes to the offensive side of the ball.

Because it makes perfect sense that a defensive genius wouldn't know whats hard to defend, what works or doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

The media made it a scam.

Instead of looking at what they were trying to accomplish in the pre-season, they took it as an absolute, like the media does.

That's what all the "experts" get. Proof that they're idiots.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Yes, it was a scam all along. He willed our WRs to get injured so Sanchez would have Pat Turner as a #1 WR whilst executing in a new offensive system.

Ponzi has nothing on this guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    The media made it a scam.

Instead of looking at what they were trying to accomplish in the pre-season, they took it as an absolute, like the media does.

That's what all the "experts" get. Proof that they're idiots.
    The media was looking for new ways to pile on.

To create controversy.

And to promote the idea that Tebow may be the answer.

That the media called a pretty calm, quiet Jet camp a circus while pretty much ignoring the circus that was NO says it all.

Rex and his team, was ridiculed and NO was ignored.

if there is one single takeaway from the jets' preseason - and preseason in general - it's that IT DOESN'T MATTER. it doesn't count. most starting spots are already known. the main goal is to practice and not get hurt.

Veteran
    What this pre-season indicated is what happens when your playing without your starting WR's. To me there is nothing more to it other than that. You saw good play in the 3rd game from the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Yes, it was a scam all along. He willed our WRs to get injured so Sanchez would have Pat Turner as a #1 WR whilst executing in a new offensive system.

Ponzi has nothing on this guy.
    To be fair, that would explain the Schillens signing

Grantland.com has a new podcast call "The Trenches." One of the hosts is former offensive lineman Ephraim Salaam. On the first show, the other host asked him how veterans feel about preseason.

Salaam said that all veterans care about is not putting bad tape out there. They hate facing young guys in preseason, because those guys are going all out, and the older guys hate having to expend the effort required to avoid putting bad plays on tape. When two vets are matched up, it's common practice to tip each other off if a running play is coming their way, if there's a blitz, etc. If you're a tackle and you know the end that you're going to be matched up with, you work something out before the game so that you don't have to try. Salaam told a specific story about when he was matched up with Bertrand Berry, who was a friend. He said they spent an entire half basically dancing with each other. When they looked at the tape after the game, the line coach got a good laugh out of it. This is something you can only do when your position is secure.

The idea that you get hurt by going 60% isn't true. It's when you're going 60% and you're lined up with a rookie that's giving max effort. That's why you see these young guys racking up the preseason sacks.

It was really pretty enlightening. The attitude really seems to stem from the fact that the players don't get paid for preseason games or training camp. This was something that Salaam brought up a number of times.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Grantland.com has a new podcast call "The Trenches." One of the hosts is former offensive lineman Ephraim Salaam. On the first show, the other host asked him how veterans feel about preseason.

Salaam said that all veterans care about is not putting bad tape out there. They hate facing young guys in preseason, because those guys are going all out, and the older guys hate having to expend the effort required to avoid putting bad plays on tape. When two vets are matched up, it's common practice to tip each other off if a running play is coming their way, if there's a blitz, etc. If you're a tackle and you know the end that you're going to be matched up with, you work something out before the game so that you don't have to try. Salaam told a specific story about when he was matched up with Bertrand Berry, who was a friend. He said they spent an entire half basically dancing with each other. When they looked at the tape after the game, the line coach got a good laugh out of it. This is something you can only do when your position is secure.

The idea that you get hurt by going 60% isn't true. It's when you're going 60% and you're lined up with a rookie that's giving max effort. That's why you see these young guys racking up the preseason sacks.

It was really pretty enlightening. The attitude really seems to stem from the fact that the players don't get paid for preseason games or training camp. This was something that Salaam brought up a number of times.
    great stuff. the media wants the preseason to matter, b/c the summer is slow and they need material. the jets doubled their entire preseason scoring in 1 game. like bill murray said in meatballs, "it just doesn't matter"

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    That's why you see these young guys racking up the preseason sacks.
    So Gholston was getting no sacks against veterans and backups who were playing 100% and Coples got sacks against both. Pretty telling...

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Great win

Every aspect of the team looked strong

it was the Buffalo Bills

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    To be fair, that would explain the Schillens signing
    I kept seeing #85 and #87 out there and I couldn't figure out who they were. After a minute, I realized that #87 was the new TE that was Sanchez's buddy from HS. But #85 escaped me. I finally realized that it was Schillens. I had totally blanked that he was on the team.

To me, everything we get out of him is gravy. Great way to view him - ya won't be disappointed. If he stays healthy, our top 4 WR look pretty damn good.

Veteran
    There is a natural food additive in Vanilla ice cream that comes from a BEAVERS ANAL GLANDS. Wish I were joking.
    So, everytIme I hear how 'vanilla' our offense was during preseason, I start smiling and think, "yep, we WERE sucking stinky beaver as$, but that was then and this is now." And right now is pretty impressive.

Jets Insider VIP
    We really need a thread about pigs being ripe for the slaughtering....