Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 2 - Steelers

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Week 2 - Steelers

While yesterday was a great statement and important win, things are going to get a lot tougher in week 2, unfortunately we cant face Ryan Fitzpatrick 16times a year.

I didnt watch the Pitts-Denver game, so was curious what people saw/thought who watched. Personally I was/am in the camp that thinks pitts will not be a playoff team this year as their Oline is a huge problem and their defense is getting a little old....fortunately for them they have a great QB and WRs so they will be competitive every single week.

From the box score/recap seems like Ben was running for his life, but was still able to get the ball to their WRs. Dwyer outplayed redman, and I dont think we will be seeing mendenhall.

Defensively Pitts struggled with Demarious which bodes well for Hill as they are very similar players. I think keller, kerley and holmes bring more speed to the table then tamme and decker do, so it does seem like we should be able to put some points on pitts aging defense.

Curious what other people thought....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gonna be a tough one....at Heinz Field too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This will be a tough game. Their OL sucks balls, so hopefully the Jets can control the action up front.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also important to note that Ryan Clark didnt play, which Im sure hurt their pass defense.

From what I read online, seems like the steelers defense was looking very slow out there, which again (and I cant believe im writing this with 100% seriousness) is a big advantage to the speed we have with our WRs and keller.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Pittsburgh Steelers have not opened a season 0-2 since 2002, and those two losses were to division winners New England and Oakland.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Steelers are going to score points - it's almost impossible to deny Ben some plays. So, I think this game is going to come down - sort of like the Denver game last night - to keeping up with the scoring and then making some defensive plays late in the game to seal it.

Pitt is not the Bills - but if we can play something like the game we did yesterday AND add in more success with the run, we'll have a shot to win. If the running game stays limited for us, I think our odds get much tougher.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Also important to note that Ryan Clark didnt play, which Im sure hurt their pass defense.

From what I read online, seems like the steelers defense was looking very slow out there, which again (and I cant believe im writing this with 100% seriousness) is a big advantage to the speed we have with our WRs and keller.
    Harrison also sat out.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's make no mistake, the Steelers are going to be a really tough game for us. Their pass rushing and blitzing will cause havoc all game for us. Also, their WR's are really fast Cro and Revis will have to be on point especially down the field.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Gonna be a tough one....at Heinz Field too.
    Yes.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets will need to run the ball better than they did yesterday to beat the Steelers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The Pittsburgh Steelers have not opened a season 0-2 since 2002, and those two losses were to division winners New England and Oakland.

SAR I
    Is there a more useless stat than this one above being parroted?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

I remember that from last year - its an altitude thing, right?

They lost their RT last night and Mike Adams came in, and in the few plays I saw, he didn't look smooth at all.

I didn't see the second half - did Gilbert come back? If not, that means that they either start Adams at RT - which he couldn't seem to earn in the preseason - or move Willie Colon or Foster over to RT and insert someone else at Guard.

The Stillers may be able to exist at their current depth, albeit barely, but they are one injury away from outright disaster. I guess, though, the same thing could be said for pretty much every team if they suffer 3 injuries to starting lineman.

Also, what's the word on Harrison and Mendenhall? Are they scheduled to play next week?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets have to run better, and stop the run better. Period.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    Guess we shouldn't even play then huh?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    Is there a more useless stat than this one above being parroted?
    It's an important stat because it shows that this team is usually well prepared, and doesn't lay an egg two times in a row to start the season. The steelers have been an elite team in the NFL for over a decade and you don't become an elite team for ****ting the bed at your home opener following a week 1 loss.

This is going to be a real challenge for us, and I think the jets are 1-14 lifetime when playing in Pennsylvania. This will be a big game for both teams.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We've got as good a chance as anyone, as long as we execute, protect the ball, and cut down on bonehead plays, we've got a great shot at a close one, I really believe that

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big Ben looks to be in great form.
    Denver kept letting Pitts RBs to get too many 3-6 yard runs.
    Pitts Oline is banged up & lost 2 guys last night.
    Broncos have Dumerville & Miller but they SUCK in the interior of that defense.

Jets should be able to get a great push up the middle unlike Denver.
    Short quick passing game was killing Broncos, Jets have to be ready to jump some routes.
    Mendenhall & Harrison even if they play will be limited & rusty.

We have to remember, playing this "new" Jet defense with these younger Bulls will be no picnic for Steelers Oline either.
    Jets need to win the TO battle to take this one on the road & Sparano needs to put together a great game plan using the pass to set up the run in the 1st half.
    Can't play ***** ball on the road, gotta go for it!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    what does that mean? there might be 1 player on the steelers that was on the team in 2002

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we will finally see some sacks because Ben likes to hold the ball, unlike Fitz. Hopefully they put him down when given the opportunity. Denver certainly did.

I'm worried about what others already mentioned, the WR speed. Kyle Wilson seems to struggle with slot guys who are very quick and I think it bodes well for Bryant. From watching yesterday, our D seems more equipped to withstand bigger playmakers and looked a little slow trying to tackle Spiller. Fortunately, Pitt's RBs looked like garbage, so hopefully the D can just tee up on Ben all day.

I just hope Sanchez keeps the confidence going and if so, the Jets will definitely make a game of it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I remember that from last year - its an altitude thing, right?

They lost their RT last night and Mike Adams came in, and in the few plays I saw, he didn't look smooth at all.

I didn't see the second half - did Gilbert come back? If not, that means that they either start Adams at RT - which he couldn't seem to earn in the preseason - or move Willie Colon or Foster over to RT and insert someone else at Guard.

The Stillers may be able to exist at their current depth, albeit barely, but they are one injury away from outright disaster. I guess, though, the same thing could be said for pretty much every team if they suffer 3 injuries to starting lineman.

Also, what's the word on Harrison and Mendenhall? Are they scheduled to play next week?
    Clark has sickle cell anemia and apparently it can cause life threatening issues at high altitudes. He had to have his spleen removed the last time he played in denver, which is crazy.

Similar to playing the pats, it is going to come down to us being able to generate pressure with 3-4 pass rushers so we can have coverage help against whoever revis doesnt cover.

Lets hope mendenhall isnt back as neitehr dwyer nor redman are speedy-type RBs like spiller, who obviously give us trouble. He is supposed to remain out through their week 4 more as a precaution since he practiced a bit last week.

Harrison had a setback from his knee surgery recovery, but Im not sure if he will be ready or not.