Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Week 2 - Steelers

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    The Bills were 5-2 when we beat them in Buffalo last year....
    It's the teams "ending the season with a winning record" and not "their record at the moment we played them".

Buffalo was a 6-10 team last season. Best record of a team we beat was Dallas at 8-8 and we know that wasn't really a 'win' but a Romo gift.

SAR I

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Rex says he will get a better gauge of Bryan Thomas & Patrick Turner's hamstring injuries and Week 2 availability on Wed

our speed on defense will show
    we will get pressured on ben without exotic blitzes and also be able to contain him

having ryan clark back will help them
    james harrison is huge defensive cog that was not on the field last night (not sure if he is playing yet or not)

it doesnt feel like it was in the past where it was feeding our offense to wolves and praying our defense can cover...

going to be a great game
    we will have a solid chance of winning

Rex on 2nd half D: "I thought the intensity went down a little... That wasn't NY Jet style of defense."

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    Is there a more useless stat than this one above being parroted?
    Exactly what I was thinking. Not sure what his point is....

If Revis doesn't play, forget about it

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    It's the teams "ending the season with a winning record" and not "their record at the moment we played them".

Buffalo was a 6-10 team last season. Best record of a team we beat was Dallas at 8-8 and we know that wasn't really a 'win' but a Romo gift.

SAR I
    Does that include playoffs? Because, that really means "last year".

Yes, last year the Jets were an average team, at 8-8, who didn't pull any upsets and only beat other 8-8 teams and worse.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Rex says he will get a better gauge of Bryan Thomas & Patrick Turner's hamstring injuries and Week 2 availability on Wed
    More hamstring injuries? Terrific.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    The keys to the Steelers game are twofold. First their run game is soft and shouldn't pose a threat. The game will be won or lost by limiting Ben's ability to improvise plays. He likes to hold the ball and is great at improvising. We need to stop the third and long conversions. If we can get penetration from the DT's we should be able to limit the extra time Ben usually gets to throw and improvise. That is the key in a nutshell. Revis will handle Wallace, Cro will handle Brown.

On Offense the key will be limiting Polamalu's big plays. I don't think we will have a big day running the rock but we will need to stick with it. If our O-line can handle their pass rush we should be able to move the chains. This is a much bigger test then the over hyped Buffalo D.
    Couldn't agree with this more. We not only have to get to Ben, we have to make sure we get him down. We can't have guys like Maybin and our DBs coming in on the blitz and just bouncing off the guy as their receivers adjust their routes and break free of man coverage.

Someone from our LB corp will also have to step up and get good coverage on Heath Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    The keys to the Steelers game are twofold. First their run game is soft and shouldn't pose a threat. The game will be won or lost by limiting Ben's ability to improvise plays. He likes to hold the ball and is great at improvising. We need to stop the third and long conversions. If we can get penetration from the DT's we should be able to limit the extra time Ben usually gets to throw and improvise. That is the key in a nutshell. Revis will handle Wallace, Cro will handle Brown.

On Offense the key will be limiting Polamalu's big plays. I don't think we will have a big day running the rock but we will need to stick with it. If our O-line can handle their pass rush we should be able to move the chains. This is a much bigger test then the over hyped Buffalo D.
    DBs and LBs need to stay with their assignments and not rush to go after Ben...

All Pro
    ....and that was also the last time we beat a team with a winning record in the regular season.

November 2010. Almost 2 years ago.

SAR I
    running outta ammo there huh?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Rex on 2nd half D: "I thought the intensity went down a little... That wasn't NY Jet style of defense."
    I def think they checked out in the 2nd half knowing the game was already over.

We could not stop the Bills running game and the steelers are better. Big Ben is no Fitzpatrick.

With out Revis in the lineup, it's going to be very difficult to win this one, but not impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    So basically you're saying the Broncos and Jets will win there divisions?
    yes!!!

The Pittsburgh Steelers have not opened a season 0-2 since 2002, and those two losses were to division winners New England and Oakland.

SAR I
    Do you really want to fire Rex Ryan? Do you really think he belongs in the "Hall Of Shame?" Just saw your avatar pic

Was I the only person who watched that snorefest last night between the Steelers and Broncos? Steelers have been a great team and have some great players, but as with anything, time marches on.

We only have 1 game to go off of for 2012, but what, from last night's game, gives anyone concern that we can not beat them? I did nto see dominant offense or defense from the Steelers. I saw an average team.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by millsan1 View Post
    Was I the only person who watched that snorefest last night between the Steelers and Broncos? Steelers have been a great team and have some great players, but as with anything, time marches on.

We only have 1 game to go off of for 2012, but what, from last night's game, gives anyone concern that we can not beat them? I did nto see dominant offense or defense from the Steelers. I saw an average team.
    I think Denver is pretty good. And they're really good at home. They could go very far this year.

But I agree that Pittsburgh's offense can look average, but that's only if Ben's timing is disrupted. He can still put up big numbers if he has all day to throw it.

All Pro
    The thing that stood out to me last night was that the Steelers executed some LONG drives. The first drive of the 2nd quarter was about 8 minutes or so. I think the Broncos only got 5 possessions in the first half.

Now I do think we can stop the run better than DEN, but I recall Ben making some crazy plays on broken pockets so I'm a little nervous about him taking off running. In a way, I think I'd prefer to see Maybin in for Thomas if BT can't go just because we could use a bit more speed.

If Revis can't play, I think we are going to be really challenged but I'm not going to write off Cro and Wilson. Just sweat a lot more.

The one edge we'll have next week is their OLine is pretty banged up. Still, I vaguely recall a game years back against BUF I think where all 5 OL were backups and they stomped us flat. So I don't know how much of a difference that will make. Consider what BUF thought going into this last game knowing we had Howard at RT.

As for our offense, it's really going to be all about Sanchez. I can see Greene and co. putting up 100 yards rushing again, but not much more. But I can see us doing enough to get this win if the defense can keep things under control. Good test for this team at this point.

Under this regime we have a knack for showing up for a big game, winning and then the next week laying a big fat egg (see the 2010 postseason Divisional - Conference Championship .. spare me the second half comeback vs. prevent - and if you don't like that choice there are many others). We need to not believe the hype and look at comments made by people like Skip Bayless and build off of Week 1. We own Buffalo and they were over-hyped. Beating Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh would be FAR more impressive.

Buffalo was a 6-10 team last season. Best record of a team we beat was Dallas at 8-8 and we know that wasn't really a 'win' but a Romo gift. A WIN IS A WIN.... SAR I
    Thanks for clarifying... So we faced a 5-2 team, beat them and then they sprialed out of control after that. So last year we only played NE twice, NYG, and Balt that had winning records. In January of 2011 we beat Indy and NE on the road in the playoffs and lost to Pitt. So we were 2-5 against winning teams in 2011.

The 8-8 teams we beat and knocked them out of the playoffs were, Dallas and San Diego. We lost to Philly, Oak and Denver who were 8-8 teams. so 2-3 against the 8-8's.