Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trick play when we had a substantial lead?

Veteran

Trick play when we had a substantial lead?

Was anyone else curious why we ran, albeit successfully, a fee-flicker when we had a substantial lead? I think we were up by 28 points at that point? Is this Rex & Co. flexing our offensive power, were we trying to run up the score, is this a statement to the league? I wasn’t too bothered by it, but it just felt like an odd call given where the game was at that point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Why not?

Perfect time to do it. They weren't expecting that.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Put me in the curious category. Didn't think it was necessary. But, it also wakes up the other team which is not a good thing. They seemed to be sleep walking at that point. I'd rather not have some pissed off LB take a shot at my QB b/c of a hokey flee flicker while being up over 3 TDs. Not sure what the purpose of that was. If it was purposefully wanting to get it on film so other teams need to consider it, then I'm OK with it. But I'm not sure that was the case.

But, on the flip side, the Bills showed that the game wasn't really over. If they recovered that onsides kick, its a real game.

It didn't bother me all that much, TBH, but I'm the type that likes to have a purpose in everything you do. And I'm not sure I get that call there. Unless you are purposefully trying to come off as dicks.

A part of the reasoning could be that it's one more thing for the Steelers to prepare for next week.

Veteran
    it seemed to me the jets wanted to show a lot of different looks in this game.

All League
    To mock Schotty...

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    To mock Schotty...
    You just wake and bake? Admit it.... you did.

Up 28 points ? Score more and put a dagger through their hearts. Keep it going until they start taking guys out admitting that the game is over. Its football, not a garden party.

All League
    Let's be honest they were trying to embarass BUF. They've been hearing
    all the talk about how BUF was the team on the rise. Deep down I don't
    believe our coaching staff respects BUF and thinks they're soft

Quote Originally Posted by GreeneWarMachine View Post
    A part of the reasoning could be that it's one more thing for the Steelers to prepare for next week.
    On that note I think in the 2nd half there were plays being run (wc plays in particular) simply to establish false tendencies. We trotted out the WC a few times and ran the garden variety QB keeper. Opposing DC's look at tendencies. If they have a stat that says the Jets run the QB keeper out of a particular formation 97% of the time they will cheat that play. Also if opposing DC's see a stat that the Jets run 20% of their plays from the WC they will spend more time prepping for it.

If you listen to the quotes from Ryan, Sparano, Tebow, Sanchez and Tanny they all come down to the same point. Just running the WC eats precious preparation time from opposing defenses that have to spend time on it. They get less time prepping for our base offense. Even when the WC only functions as a basic running play it is helping our O because the opposing team spent time on it. I believe that was the goal from the start.

To step on the throat.

To put a nail in the coffin.

To put their lights out.

Pick the cliche of your choosing. Great game plan by the entire coaching staff!

One more thing for the other teams in the league to worry about. Great time to show things like that. Other teams now have to game plan for it.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyan66 View Post
    were we trying to run up the score
    there is no such thing as running up the score, when a man is down you keep him down, if it takes scoring 100 points you score a 100 points. this is not the panty league stop worrying about how many points you put up just put up the DAMN points. shhhiiitttttttt!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Put me in the curious category. Didn't think it was necessary. But, it also wakes up the other team which is not a good thing. They seemed to be sleep walking at that point. I'd rather not have some pissed off LB take a shot at my QB b/c of a hokey flee flicker while being up over 3 TDs. Not sure what the purpose of that was. If it was purposefully wanting to get it on film so other teams need to consider it, then I'm OK with it. But I'm not sure that was the case.

But, on the flip side, the Bills showed that the game wasn't really over. If they recovered that onsides kick, its a real game.

It didn't bother me all that much, TBH, but I'm the type that likes to have a purpose in everything you do. And I'm not sure I get that call there. Unless you are purposefully trying to come off as dicks.
    It helps open up the running game, which had been anemic. Tossing in a flea-flicker makes the LBs have to respect the pass even when the play is obviously run. Just a split second hesitation on their part can help the line and backs tremendously.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic Hip Screw View Post
    To step on the throat.

To put a nail in the coffin.

To put their lights out.

Pick the cliche of your choosing. Great game plan by the entire coaching staff!
    We were only up by 14 points when we did the flea flicker. That TD drive is what sealed the game compltely.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    One more thing for the other teams in the league to worry about. Great time to show things like that. Other teams now have to game plan for it.
    Come on, game plan for a flea flicker?

The only thing that needs to be done is have the CB's and safeties stay with their receivers.

And why show that play with a huge lead? It totally wiped out the element of surprise moving forward.

It was my favorite play of the game as it was the moment where we saw that Schitty was really gone and we're not going to get conservative with a lead.

SAR I

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Perfect time to do it. They weren't expecting that.
    Not only that, it is the best time to try it in a game where you get to practice a play like that in a real-game situation without the consequences being dire if it fails.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    It helps open up the running game, which had been anemic. Tossing in a flea-flicker makes the LBs have to respect the pass even when the play is obviously run. Just a split second hesitation on their part can help the line and backs tremendously.
    I don't think we are debating the fundamental nature of the benefits and effects of the flea flicker....we are discussing at that specific point in the game.

I wouldn't necessarily have called it, but don't have a major problem with it. At the end of the day, this isn't pee wee football. You don't want the other team running up the score? Stop'em. Of course, if Sanchez was the victim of a cheap shot, I'd be real unhappy about it.