Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead

Looking ahead

Weeks 2 and 4 will let you know if Buffalo is just that bad or Sanchez is really the guy.

Next week, on the road in Pittsburgh, who looked good for the most part against Denver considering their Pro Bowl FS Ryan Clark was out (which really screws up their defense since Hair has to play FS then, not rover).

So if the Jets come out 3-1 or 4-0 following the Niners game, we should be taken very seriously.

2-2 won't really tell us much outside of the ability to beat crap teams.

I like when we know early on. This season will be easy to know early.

Of course, I remain a proponent that if you don't at least split with the Pats, your season is a sham, too.

All-in-all, great performance by Sanchez.

We could only be 3-1 or 4-0 heading INTO the Niners game. You're forgetting about the Texans in week 4. Next 4 weeks will be brutal, we play at Pittsburgh (always a tough game), at Miami (bad team, but their D gives Sanchez trouble), then two SB contenders at home in Houston and 49ers.

Quite frankly, as good as the offense looked yesterday, the Bills have a considerably worse D than any of our upcoming opponents outside of maybe Miami, whose D has given Sanchez nightmares in the past. Texans and Niners are probably the 2 best defenses in football, I can't imagine bigger earlier season tests for Sparano and the offense.

Let's start with the Steelers this week though. Lots of blitzing, possible return of James Harrison. They are desperate to avoid 0-2.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Weeks 2 and 4 will let you know if Buffalo is just that bad or Sanchez is really the guy.

Next week, on the road in Pittsburgh, who looked good for the most part against Denver considering their Pro Bowl FS Ryan Clark was out (which really screws up their defense since Hair has to play FS then, not rover).

So if the Jets come out 3-1 or 4-0 following the Niners game, we should be taken very seriously.

2-2 won't really tell us much outside of the ability to beat crap teams.

I like when we know early on. This season will be easy to know early.

Of course, I remain a proponent that if you don't at least split with the Pats, your season is a sham, too.

All-in-all, great performance by Sanchez.
    Even if we beat Pitts and Miami and lose to SF and the Texans, that is still a very solid start to the season, after facing our 3 toughest non-division opponents.

Personally, the SF D looks ridiculous but the texans are a differnet story. Yes their defense is great, but we match up VERY well with their offense since revis can negate andre and the rest of the team can try to stop arian.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Even if we beat Pitts and Miami and lose to SF and the Texans, that is still a very solid start to the season, after facing our 3 toughest non-division opponents.

Personally, the SF D looks ridiculous but the texans are a differnet story. Yes their defense is great, but we match up VERY well with their offense since revis can negate andre and the rest of the team can try to stop arian.
    I don't want to look ahead too much, but the Texans and Niners running games will be very difficult to handle unless our front 7 plays significantly better than yesterday.

As for the Niners front 7? Wow. Our D is very good, but there is no comparison to what the Niners have up front. They are scary. Our secondary is better in coverage though. That's still the strength of our D.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post

Let's start with the Steelers this week though. Lots of blitzing, possible return of James Harrison. They are desperate to avoid 0-2.
    Every Jets fan should have been a Steeler fan last night.

Facing an 0-2 start, especially at home, does not bode well for the Jets.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

I think that is something that fans and/or media love to talk about yet is completely ridiculous.

Yes some teams play with varying degrees of urgency, but do we really think that it will be harder to face Pitts since they lost last night? Were their players going to be complacent and hold back against us had they already had their first win?

Its gonna be a tough game because they have a great QB, excellent WRs, and a history of success. However we also have some explosiveness on offense and better offensive and defensive lines.

Hall Of Fame
    Actually you can make case that even if the Jets are 2-3, they are still in good shape. They then have the following games:

Colts @home. winnable
    Pats away. Loss
    Miami home. winnable
    BYE
    Seattle away. winnable
    Rams away. winnable
    Pats @ home. winnable
    Cardinals @ home. winnable
    Jacksonville away. winnable
    Titans away. winnable
    Chargers @ home. winnable
    Bills away. winnable.

If they can even be 4-4, the second half of this schedule is a lot easier. So no need to panic even if there are a few losses early on.

I don't think any Jet fan will lose sleep or panic if we drop a close game in Pittsburgh. It's a good early season opportunity and the Steelers showed some flaws last night. I don't rate them on the same level as the Pats, Texans, or Ravens. Should be a good game and Sanchez has won there before.

I don't buy that nonsense.

How the Steelers perform next week has nothing to do with whether they won or lost this week.

That may have some bearing in a high school game where some adolecents get thier head swollen with a win and their history teacher/coach can't get them focused on the next game.

It may even have some effect in a college game.

It has absolutely no effect in a professional football game.

The idea that the Steelers will somehow "never lose two games in a row". That they will somehow focus harder, or that their coaching staff won't "let" them go 0-2 is a silly pretense put forth by people like yourself who don't understand professional sports.

The Steelers may win next week. The Jets may win.

It will have nothing whatsoever to do with the Steelers losing to the Broncos last night or the Jets beating the Bills yesterday. It will have to do with the match-ups on the field next Sunday. To suggest otherwise shows a mediocre understanding of professional football at best. Which is why I'm not suprised it was a Pats troll who posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Actually you can make case that even if the Jets are 2-3, they are still in good shape. They then have the following games:

Colts @home. winnable
    Pats away. Loss
    Miami home. winnable
    BYE
    Seattle away. winnable
    Rams away. winnable
    Pats @ home. winnable
    Titans away. winnable
    Bills away. winnable.

If they can even be 4-4, the second half of this schedule is a lot easier. So no need to panic even if there are a few losses early on.
    Great post. There were 4 games I said before the season started that I would not be too troubled by if we lost. @ Pitt, @ NE, Texans, 49ers. It just so happens 3 of them are in our first 5 games. The team is confident and will have chances to make a statement. Also no need to panic if they drop a couple.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Great post. There were 4 games I said before the season started that I would not be too troubled by if we lost. @ Pitt, @ NE, Texans, 49ers. It just so happens 3 of them are in our first 5 games. The team is confident and will have chances to make a statement. Also no need to panic if they drop a couple.
    Plus it sets up for the Jets to get on a roll late and we have all seen how important it is for a team to be playing well at the end of the season.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by John in CT View Post
    I don't buy that nonsense.

How the Steelers perform next week has nothing to do with whether they won or lost this week.

That may have some bearing in a high school game where some adolecents get thier head swollen with a win and their history teacher/coach can't get them focused on the next game.

It may even have some effect in a college game.

It has absolutely no effect in a professional football game.

The idea that the Steelers will somehow "never lose two games in a row". That they will somehow focus harder, or that their coaching staff won't "let" them go 0-2 is a silly pretense put forth by people like yourself who don't understand professional sports.

The Steelers may win next week. The Jets may win.

It will have nothing whatsoever to do with the Steelers losing to the Broncos last night or the Jets beating the Bills yesterday. It will have to do with the match-ups on the field next Sunday. To suggest otherwise shows a mediocre understanding of professional football at best. Which is why I'm not suprised it was a Pats troll who posted it.
    Really? Because i recall the Jets coming out flat after a big emotional win against the Pats in the playoffs. If you think because this is the NFL that emotion doesn't play a part in how a team plays you have a mediocre understanding of human nature at best.

Home opener for the steelers is not going to be an easy out. The steelers are a good football team and are going to come out and play like they mean it. Jets are also something like 1-12 all time when playing in Pennsylvania. Not an easy game by any stretch.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think that is something that fans and/or media love to talk about yet is completely ridiculous.

Yes some teams play with varying degrees of urgency, but do we really think that it will be harder to face Pitts since they lost last night? Were their players going to be complacent and hold back against us had they already had their first win?

Its gonna be a tough game because they have a great QB, excellent WRs, and a history of success. However we also have some explosiveness on offense and better offensive and defensive lines.
    Not to mention our history of never winning there.

Colts @home. winnable
    Pats away. Loss
    Miami home. winnable
    BYE
    Seattle away. winnable
    Rams away. winnable
    Pats @ home. winnable
    Titans away. winnable
    Bills away. winnable.

That's faulty thinking:

2009 and 2010 the Jets split with the Pats and had at least one other quality opponent win and the Jets went to the AFC Championship.

Just making the playoffs isn't really what the goal should be here.

Last year's team was one win from the Playoffs, but personally, I wrote them off when we lost to the Pats twice.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    That's faulty thinking:

2009 and 2010 the Jets split with the Pats and had at least one other quality opponent win and the Jets went to the AFC Championship.

Just making the playoffs isn't really what the goal should be here.

Last year's team was one win from the Playoffs, but personally, I wrote them off when we lost to the Pats twice.
    How so?

Look at the schedule, it sets up well for a second half run. If we have learned anything it is that what a team does early on, seldom has an affect on them in the playoffs. The important thing is getting on roll late and playing your best football entering the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Really? Because i recall the Jets coming out flat after a big emotional win against the Pats in the playoffs. If you think because this is the NFL that emotion doesn't play a part in how a team plays you have a mediocre understanding of human nature at best.

Home opener for the steelers is not going to be an easy out. The steelers are a good football team and are going to come out and play like they mean it. Jets are also something like 1-12 all time when playing in Pennsylvania. Not an easy game by any stretch.
    Never said it was an "easy out". And the opening day win was in no way a "big emotional win" for the Jets.

The Steelers are, and should be, substantial favorites in this game. They are widely considered the better team right now, and they are at home.

I'm just saying that at this point in the season the outcome of each team's opening day game will have absolutely no bearing on the outcome of next week's game.

The fact that the Jets beat Buffalo, and that the Steelers lost to Denver, will have absolutely no effect on next weeks game. It won't effect the preparation of either team. The Steelers won't somehow be more "fired up" next week because they lost last night, nor will the Jets somehow be "complacent" because they beat the Bills.

Anyone who thinks so is simply reaching back to their own high school football days and superimposing their own incompetency and their history teacher/football coach's inability to motivate them.

On Sunday, there will two well-prepared, professional football teams lining up ready to play football for a paycheck. Which team wins will have absolutely nothing to do with what happened on opening day.

I am not wanting to look too far into the future. It's one game at a time guys and girls. I think the coaching staff agrees to that as well. Regarding next weeks game I think the Jets need to beat the Steelers to put them down early in the season. We know they have had slow starts in the past and rebounded back to make the playoffs as had New England. That is why it is a blessing imo that they go to Pittsburgh so early. Wallace just got back so they are still not running on all cylinders yet. Hopefully Mendenhall won't be ready yet as well.
    The Jets IMO wanted to jump on the Bills through the air early by taking advantage of the Tebow smokescreen which obviously Buffalo didn't prepare well enough for. Something that was mentioned in another post about why they did the flee flicker being up by so much was because they want Pitts to have to plan on it. The whole idea with this early tough schedule the Jets have is to game plan against your opponents. That's why they wanted Buffalo to plan on Tebow and look what happened! That is why I think this week the Jets will use Tebow much more than they did yesterday. I am sure they have lots of plays that Pittsburgh won't be ready for. Lets hope the Jets can execute them well. In a 16 game season every game means so much.

Hall Of Fame

Prior to yesterday I don't think anyone gave us a prayer in week #2 against the Steelers and now that the Steelers have lost their first game I think the entire planet will be thinking the same thing as you. I.e. That there is no way in hell that the Steelers will start off 0-2.

All of that adds up to the Jets being pretty much a consensus lock to lose next week. Just the way I like it to be honest.

To me the Steelers are an example of a team who has been at or near the top of the pile for a very long time and who might just be ready to fall back into the pack this year. I am far from being an over the top homer but I have a good feeling that we will stop their running game cold and that our secondary is better than the one they played last night in Denver. I don't think Mark Sanchez and the offense needs to show very much at all to get a win next week. I think we match up very well against them.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I don't ever by this, teams play at 100% every week trying to win. Fans and media think that teams with losses play better or become more difficult with each loss.

How so?

Look at the schedule, it sets up well for a second half run. If we have learned anything it is that what a team does early on, seldom has an affect on them in the playoffs. The important thing is getting on roll late and playing your best football entering the playoffs.
    Being 10-6 and winning every game that your crappy schedule lines up for you generally leads to first round or second round fodder in the playoffs for.

Good teams beat good teams. We want PatsfanTX coming on here and *****ing about how poorly the Pats played down to the Jets level when we beat them. That means we are without a doubt legit.

Sending Pittsburgh to 0-2 would be a giant step for this squad.

Going 5-0 and we should be early season Super Bowl contenders according to everybody.

I would laugh my ass off if Sanchez doesn't throw another pick for the next 4 and has like 15-20 touchdowns after the San Fran game.