Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shonn Greene

Shonn Greene

It looked like the OL was opening up some holes for Greene but that he just doesn't have the breakaway speed to leverage the gaps which close quickly. Do you believe he is going to have a good year ?

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    It looked like the OL was opening up some holes for Greene but that he just doesn't have the breakaway speed to leverage the gaps which close quickly. Do you believe he is going to have a good year ?
    I think Powell is better...

Greene just hasn't looked as good as he did in his first year. Last year was bad, and this year hasn't been great.

That said, the team needs him to run well because no running back can play every snap, and Powell is gold on those 3rd down plays. He blocks well and clearly knows what he's doing in the other aspects of the RB position.

Veteran
    none of the RBs on this team are good.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    none of the RBs on this team are good.
    Powell looks pretty good imo

Just needs more carries to prove it.

Hall Of Fame
    I hope I am wrong but Powell looks like a complete JAG to me. Shonn Greene is decent but fragile, plus he needs to do a better job looking after the rock.

Veteran
    Greene did have 94 yards on 27 carries. He's a bruiser which does effect guards and LB's. Considering he's running up the gut I say he did his job..

All Pro
    Greene needs to be upgraded. There's simply nothing special about him ... he's as average as it gets.

An elite running back would take this offense to the next level.

No doubt Greene is just not developing as I know I'd hoped or predicted.

I'd like to see a little bit more of shared workload if this continues. Get Powell and McKnight 3-5 carries a game each, see what plays out.

While I don't love him as a runner he is above average and has been reliable.

Shonn Greene is a decent back-had 1000+ yads rushing behind a questionable line last year finishing 13th in the league. Of those ahead of him in total yards only 1 had fewer attempts and 5 were within .2 yards per carry. Historically he gets seems to better as the game goes on with the D wearing down.

We can win with him

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Why is he always so slow to get up after every other tackle? Unless you're legitimately injured, get the eff back up and go back to the huddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Why is he always so slow to get up after every other tackle? Unless you're legitimately injured, get the eff back up and go back to the huddle.
    he goes down quickly so i guess it evens out...

I don't think its a matter of speed, his vision seems terrible to me. He doesn't show the ability to adjust to holes opening up and seems to just follow his blockers all the time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    I don't think its a matter of speed, his vision seems terrible to me. He doesn't show the ability to adjust to holes opening up and seems to just follow his blockers all the time.
    He simply has no lateral or side to side movement.

He can only go straight, it is so frustrating to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I think Powell is better...

Greene just hasn't looked as good as he did in his first year. Last year was bad, and this year hasn't been great.

That said, the team needs him to run well because no running back can play every snap, and Powell is gold on those 3rd down plays. He blocks well and clearly knows what he's doing in the other aspects of the RB position.
    Yep, Greene has some of the worst vision in the game. And he doesn't have the lateral quickness to make up for it. He at least had some burst as a rookie, but that has dwindled rapidly the last 12 months.

Hopefully Powell can sneak away some early down carries as the season progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    He simply has no lateral or side to side movement.

He can only go straight, it is so frustrating to watch.
    this. even if he had good vision he can't take advantage of it. can't turn the corner since woody left. can't really catch. he's the definition of one dimentional. powell will get more touches as the season goes on b/c greene will get dinged up and there will be games they'll be behind and can't run him into the line play after play and they'll need rbs who can catch and run for first downs.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    not quite sure i agree with you regarding holes.. but think we have to evaluate over the next few games... I think he is a servicable starting tailback.... It will be interesting to see how they rotate other backs into the line-up.. Powell did some ok things yesterday.. and still feel like Mcknight can contribute as well....

I think the OL did a fantastic job w/ pass blocking... would like to see them crisp up their run blocking...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    Thats what it looks like to me, he get the ball and takes a moment to look for a whole instead of just hitting hit and the whole is closing as he get to it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    he goes down quickly so i guess it evens out...

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSage View Post
    While I don't love him as a runner he is above average and has been reliable.

Shonn Greene is a decent back-had 1000+ yads rushing behind a questionable line last year finishing 13th in the league. Of those ahead of him in total yards only 1 had fewer attempts and 5 were within .2 yards per carry. Historically he gets seems to better as the game goes on with the D wearing down.

We can win with him
    This guy gets it

Dude went for 94 yesterday and had a score. Yea had a few dropsies, gotta get ride of those. He averaged 3.5 per carry. 3.5 x 3 = 10.5. First down no? Everybody's got a hard on for Spiller yesterday. He finished with 169. Well two of his runs were for 56 and 49. Aside from those two runs he had 60 yards. Hardly game changing. Is he a "more explosive" runner? Sure, But you can't convince me he is automatically better than Shonn Greene.

Seriously though is he supposed to have 150+ on every carry. After your top 10ish backs, you have a bunch of Shonn Greenes. You can't have an "elite" player at every position. Even those teams that do, don't win every year.

Foster, Ray Rice, Shady, AP, MJD, CJ2K, some space, Forte, BeastMode, Gore, McFadden?, McGahee, and the rest. You don't even get consistent "game-changing" performances out of the second half of that list either.

Would Chris Johnson, MJD, Forte, and a lot of those guys improve the team? Probably. I also don't think Shonn Greene is what keeps the team from winning a Superbowl. Two of the guys on that list went to a CCG last year, and neither of them went to the Superbowl. Half of those guys also were not even in the Playoffs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Greene is fine. He gets the job done.

But i bet we drafted a speed back with our 1st or 2nd round pick in next years draft.