Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shonn Greene

or vision.............

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    It looked like the OL was opening up some holes for Greene but that he just doesn't have the breakaway speed to leverage the gaps which close quickly. Do you believe he is going to have a good year ?
    he keeps running into the pile when there is no hole, instead of running to the outside some. i know about going thru the tackle stuff, but there has been some outside stuff available when he just ran right into a pile of people. you have to have vision to be able to see other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Greene is fine. He gets the job done.

But i bet we drafted a speed back with our 1st or 2nd round pick in next years draft.
    OL and RB could very well be 2 of the first 3 draft picks they make.

Jets Insider VIP
    1,000 yards rushing seasons may be the most overrated stat in all of football. It averages out to 62.5 yards per game. If you are a passing team, that is tolerable. But if you are a ground and pound team, that ain't much.

I still think Greene could be a good compliment to a good slashing runner as he was with LT. But as a featured back, he leaves a lot to be desired.

His stats last year, even with a suspect line, were nothing to write home about. He got less that 60 yards in 7 games last year.

His 2011 stats:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../gamelog/2011/

I dunno, Greene's OK, nothing special. Power Back.

Not great, but not terrible. He's like BenJarvus imo.

Not flashy, doesn't fumble often. Grinds out yards.

Hopefully Powell or McKnight will emerge as a complementary speed back who can break one.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
    This guy gets it

Dude went for 94 yesterday and had a score. Yea had a few dropsies, gotta get ride of those. He averaged 3.5 per carry. 3.5 x 3 = 10.5. First down no? Everybody's got a hard on for Spiller yesterday. He finished with 169. Well two of his runs were for 56 and 49. Aside from those two runs he had 60 yards. Hardly game changing. Is he a "more explosive" runner? Sure, But you can't convince me he is automatically better than Shonn Greene.

Seriously though is he supposed to have 150+ on every carry. After your top 10ish backs, you have a bunch of Shonn Greenes. You can't have an "elite" player at every position. Even those teams that do, don't win every year.

Foster, Ray Rice, Shady, AP, MJD, CJ2K, some space, Forte, BeastMode, Gore, McFadden?, McGahee, and the rest. You don't even get consistent "game-changing" performances out of the second half of that list either.

Would Chris Johnson, MJD, Forte, and a lot of those guys improve the team? Probably. I also don't think Shonn Greene is what keeps the team from winning a Superbowl. Two of the guys on that list went to a CCG last year, and neither of them went to the Superbowl. Half of those guys also were not even in the Playoffs.
    Agreed. Greene's abilty is to soften the opposing OL and LB's which he does well. Someone may emerge as the changeup back maybe not. I said it before Reggie Bush could've been an immediate changeup but the Jets must be waiting for Powel to develop.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    1,000 yards rushing seasons may be the most overrated stat in all of football. It averages out to 62.5 yards per game. If you are a passing team, that is tolerable. But if you are a ground and pound team, that ain't much.

I still think Greene could be a good compliment to a good slashing runner as he was with LT. But as a featured back, he leaves a lot to be desired.

His stats last year, even with a suspect line, were nothing to write home about. He got less that 60 yards in 7 games last year.

His 2011 stats:

http://www.pro-football-reference.co.../gamelog/2011/
    It's a stat that meant something when they played 14 games. For some reason, it still is a bench mark but technically shouldn't be.

they need to rotate the rbs. at some point greene is going to injure a rib and then they're going to rely exclusively on players with virtually no experience. at least LT could help out, but now, it's powell and mcknight. if the jets truly think powell can be the guy they should give him carries, throw him more screens and let him carry the load during garbage time.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    It's a stat that meant something when they played 14 games. For some reason, it still is a bench mark but technically shouldn't be.
    Surprising about his stats is his attempts. Only 5-6 games over 20 attempts. If anything last season was an indication of an offensive dysfunction. Schotty had to go..

With the amount of RBs drafted by this team you'd think at least one would be decent.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSage View Post
    While I don't love him as a runner he is above average and has been reliable.

Shonn Greene is a decent back-had 1000+ yads rushing behind a questionable line last year finishing 13th in the league. Of those ahead of him in total yards only 1 had fewer attempts and 5 were within .2 yards per carry. Historically he gets seems to better as the game goes on with the D wearing down.

We can win with him
    Agreed. His #'s are as good as a lot of the more recognizable names.

Veteran
    besides looking like he gets dinged up a lot, it looks like he turns his back to the defense a lot. green is fine if he's complimenting a pass attack, but doesn't have the look of a ground and pound back.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Why is he always so slow to get up after every other tackle? Unless you're legitimately injured, get the eff back up and go back to the huddle.
    True. I felt the same way yesterday. I wish he would stop the nonsense!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    he goes down quickly so i guess it evens out...
    deep lulz I almost choked on my lunch

Veteran
    OL and RB could very well be 2 of the first 3 draft picks they make.
    I'd stick LB in there as well, depending on who the BPA is. The Jets are a RB and LB away from being competitive amongst the AFC elite.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    I'd stick LB in there as well, depending on who the BPA is. The Jets are a RB and LB away from being competitive amongst the AFC elite.
    i agree. pace and thomas may both be gone next season and scott too.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Why is he always so slow to get up after every other tackle? Unless you're legitimately injured, get the eff back up and go back to the huddle.
    I guess you never saw the best back ever IMHO Jim Brown who at 225 (which was very big for a running back at the time) had sprinter speed and if one did not know about him would have thought he was getting up after a tackle to be put on a strethcher for a ride to the hospital.( Gale Sayers and Walter Payton weren't bad either but don't remember how they got up after a tackle)

I guess you never saw the best back ever IMHO Jim Brown who at 225 (which was very big for a running back at the time) had sprinter speed and if one did not know about him would have thought he was getting up after a tackle to be put on a strethcher for a ride to the hospital.( Gale Sayers and Walter Payton weren't bad either but don't remember how they got up after a tackle)
    wow. the jets have brown, payton and sayers all wrapped up in one rb.

All Pro
    Jim Brown did it on purpose. He said if you always get up slow, they don't know if they ever really hurt you or not. If Greene produces like Jim Brown did, I don't care if he stops and takes a crap after every run.

All Pro
    wow. the jets have brown, payton and sayers all wrapped up in one rb.
    I made him on Madden last year. He was awesome.

Then Schotty tried to turn him into a TE when I wasn't looking, and he blew his knee out.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    Greene did have 94 yards on 27 carries. He's a bruiser which does effect guards and LB's. Considering he's running up the gut I say he did his job..
    A good RB would've had at least 130. Greene doesn't create anything on his own. Nearly every single yard gained is given to him. Just about any NFL back could've had 94 yards on 27 carries againt Buffalo yesterday.

He certainly doesn't deserve that many more opportunities than the other guys, especially after 2 fumbles.