Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Chicago Teachers Union Strikes

I went to a Public High School in NY we didn't have AC, we opened the windows. The children did just fine. BTW we had over 3 thousand students in the school sometimes twice that!

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    40 students in poor areas are being crammed into classrooms where there is no air conditioning in 90 plus degree heat is somehow not in the best interest for children?

Yeah, terrible
    And this just happened at the moment the TU contract came up?

I see. The prior years, when the TU had a contract, the kids were being put in appropriate sized classrooms with appropriate air conditioning and therefore the TU didn't strike to prevent that.

This year, for the first time, Chicago was cramming kids into classrooms like sardines and all the air conditioners broke. The TU went on strike to protest that.

The fact that they are negotiating a contract at the same time is just a random coincidence.

As is the fact that most of their demands (their terms for ending the strike) don't have anything at all to do with overcrowding or air conditioning

That you have nevertheless managed to convince yourself that a teacher's strike is in the best interest of the kids is just further confirmation that you have no business training children in how to think.

But hey, Cop, how about this - if the TU ends their strike without improving air conditioning in Chicago classrooms, will you condemn it? Somehow, I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    And there's no such thing as a tenured teacher who, after achieving tenure, declines in performance? Ridiculous.
    There are very few. Just like the cop, the fireman, and sanitation worker. Funny no one is clamoring to take away their job security yet. Going after the teachers first, whatever. Im sure it will be a great society that has only 20 something year olds as teachers, cops, fireman, and sanitation workers, because they make so little and the politicians can live so much larger. Everyone over 35 will be jobless.

And here it is. Just like the politicians want you to believe. You think that teachers are never evaluated, do you? As an untenured teacher the principal and vice principal officially observe the teacher in the classroom setting ten times a year. As a tenured teacher, the principal observes the teacher anywhere from four to six times a year. These evaluations are written up as an official document and signed off by the superintendent and are placed in the teachers official file along with suggestions of how to improve. This is a requirement that ALL teachers and principals must go by. In everyone of my 16 years of teaching I have been observed officially multiple times. You should write about what you know and stop believing everything on FOX NEWS.......
    emm hmm. And how many teachers have been dismissed due to poor reviews from principals? Not a single one.

This might be interesting:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/educati...TO9-Y.facebook

No pay hike for CPS teachers, but executives are getting raises?

BY ROSALIND ROSSI

Education Reporter/rrossi@suntimes.com
    Last Modified: Jun 22, 2011 04:19PM

Newly installed Chicago School Board members Wednesday will be asked to approve six-figure salaries for new Schools CEO Jean-Claude Brizard and four other new top executives that represent raises over what their predecessors were paid.

The vote on whether to boost executive Chicago Public School salaries comes only a week after the same board members, in their first official action, found the deficit-ridden system did not have enough money to pay for 4 percent raises to teachers and other unionized school workers worth $100 million.

School Board President David Vitale said the new salaries were recommended by board staff based on a combination of factors including enhanced responsibilities, what prior employees were paid, and competitiveness.

“The due diligence done on all these things suggests these salaries are appropriate within the context of all that,’’ Vitale said.

Some were skeptical.

“It’s not a good way to start a new administration when you elevate the salary level of a lot of administrators and tell the teachers they cannot get raises without putting a plan on the table for higher performance,’’ said Andy Shaw, president of the Better Government Association.

“People who take over a struggling school system ought to implement some positive changes before they are paid higher salaries [than their predecessors]. You could argue previous salaries were too high because the performance level of the schools was dismal,’’ Shaw said.

“This will only further incense teachers.’’

Brizard’s base salary of $250,000 is $20,000 more than predecessor Ron Huberman made before taking furlough days; more than the $213,000 drawn by the New York City Schools Chancellor, and more than any other city executive — including Mayor Rahm Emanuel — except for New Police Chief Garry McCarthy.

However, among the nation’s five other big-city districts, it is also less than the superintendent salaries in Los Angeles, Miami-Dade County and Las Vegas’ Clark County. Brizard has said he also expects to be allowed bonuses tied to district performance in a new contract up for a board vote Wednesday.

CPS Chief Administrative Officer Tim Cawley is due for a $215,000 salary, up from his predecessor’s $179,167, and Chief CPS Communications Officer Becky Carroll is in line for a base of $165,000 — up from her predecessor’s $130,383 and higher than the base salary of mayoral communications chief Christine Mather, who is taking home $162,492.

However, Vitale said Cawley will oversee eight departments, compared to his predecessor’s four. Carroll said she expects to also be in charge of internal and external communications as well as media.

New Chief Education Officer Noemi Donoso’s $195,000 is up only slightly from her predecessor Barbara Eason-Watkins $192,850. New chief of staff Andrea Saenz is to be paid $165,000, compared to $116,000 of her predecessor. However, Vitale noted that back in 2009, the post carried a base salary of more than $163,700.

Also Wednesday, board members will be asked to give Cawley a two-year, rather than the traditional six-month, extension to move into the city to meet residency requirements. Cawley is a Winnetka resident and he and his wife would like their daughter, adopted a year ago from the Ukraine, to finish seventh and eighth grade in the suburbs before the family uproots and moves to Chicago, Carroll said.

There are very few. Just like the cop, the fireman, and sanitation worker. Funny no one is clamoring to take away their job security yet. Going after the teachers first, whatever. Im sure it will be a great society that has only 20 something year olds as teachers, cops, fireman, and sanitation workers, because they make so little and the politicians can live so much larger. Everyone over 35 will be jobless.

Cops, firefighters, and sanitation workers don't have tenure. And bad cops, firefighters, and sanitation workers should be fired

As for the rest of your post, that you believe this gobbledygook is frightening

There are very few
    From what Ive been told, this is patently bull****. My wife, a young, untenured teacher, has plenty of stories of 10+ year veteran teachers coasting along, feeling safe (for now).

Either that, or they are clueless, even coming to younger teachers for advice. I guess its some sort of reverse mentoring kind of thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    From what Ive been told, this is patently bull****. My wife, a young, untenured teacher, has plenty of stories of 10+ year veteran teachers coasting along, feeling safe (for now).

Either that, or they are clueless, even coming to younger teachers for advice. I guess its some sort of reverse mentoring kind of thing....
    Clearly, your wife watches too much Fox News and/or is secretly lining her pockets with cash from the politicians. Did you guys invest in a testing company?! That must be it. . .

Maybe I have not made myself clear. I think teachers should be evaluated by the experts. By principals, vice principals and veteran teachers. Not a government made test that has a much different agenda. I am all for the way I have been evaluated for the last 16 years, by my superiors inside the school that I teach at.

As an untenured teacher the principal and vice principal officially observe the teacher in the classroom setting ten times a year. As a tenured teacher, the principal observes the teacher anywhere from four to six times a year. These evaluations are written up as an official document and signed off by the superintendent and are placed in the teachers official file along with suggestions of how to improve. This is a requirement that ALL teachers and principals must go by. In everyone of my 16 years of teaching I have been observed officially multiple times.
    The experts. Right. Children can't read or do rudimentary arithmetic. But hey, the experts say we're doing a great job. That's because the principals et al are toast also if the real truth be known.
    It's the same with gov workers at any level. CYA.
    Private enterprise. No production? See ya.
    I have recounted Jack Welsh's philosophy at GE. Lowest 10% at every evaluation get FIRED. That should apply regardless of years of service or age. It did at GE.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    emm hmm. And how many teachers have been dismissed due to poor reviews from principals? Not a single one.
    HUNDREDS within the first three years.

If tenure is granted, then it takes a serious issue to be removed from the classroom and payroll.

As compared to cops, fireman, and sanitation who have a 90 day probationary period before they receive job security.

All can be fired if a serious accusation is proven against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post

Your young wife must work in a bizzaro world where only the inexperienced teach the experienced how to perform.

How does she know this? Is she inside the classroom observing them? Seems pretty judgmental from afar.

Tell your young wife that one day she might have even more responsibilities that have to do with raising your family. Ask her how she might feel when a young inexperienced teacher runs around the building and makes negative judgments from afar about her.
    Last edited by copernicus; 09-12-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    link?
    Google then read for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    The experts. Right. Children can't read or do rudimentary arithmetic.
    Where is the evidence of this? Has our society totally broken down? Is our economic woes because young adults cant read or write? They are totally illiterate?

Keep watching FOX......America's problems all fall on the sixth grade teachers!!!!........
    Last edited by copernicus; 09-12-2012 at 02:52 PM.

40 students in poor areas are being crammed into classrooms where there is no air conditioning in 90 plus degree heat is somehow not in the best interest for children?

Yeah, terrible
    Dude, I grew up in Georgia, you know, down South where it's actually REALLY HOT, and even in the 70's and 80's, we didn't have air conditioning until I reached the 9th grade.

Somehow,we managed to get educated just fine.

Maybe I have not made myself clear. I think teachers should be evaluated by the experts. By principals, vice principals and veteran teachers. Not a government made test that has a much different agenda. I am all for the way I have been evaluated for the last 16 years, by my superiors inside the school that I teach at.

As an untenured teacher the principal and vice principal officially observe the teacher in the classroom setting ten times a year. As a tenured teacher, the principal observes the teacher anywhere from four to six times a year. These evaluations are written up as an official document and signed off by the superintendent and are placed in the teachers official file along with suggestions of how to improve. This is a requirement that ALL teachers and principals must go by. In everyone of my 16 years of teaching I have been observed officially multiple times.
    Tenure is the biggest freaking job security scam that exists today. Great, you all get "evaluated" personally by the principal. So what happens when the principal concludes that you have absolutely no business being in a classroom ?> Yep, that goes into your file and you keep on drawing a paycheck.

Teachers unions have fought to have any kind of subjectivity removed. That's one of the reasons for tenure.

What a freaking racket. Get hired. Can't get fired unless you do something egregiously wrong in the first 3 years. If you make it that long, which most do, then you have "tenure" and a cushy part time job with full time pay and benefits for life.
    Last edited by Demosthenes9; 09-12-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Where is the evidence of this? Has our society totally broken down? Is our economic woes because young adults cant read or write? They are totally illiterate?

Keep watching FOX......America's problems all fall on the sixth grade teachers!!!!........
    Fox News, I watch CBS, NBC MSNBC and everything is the Republicans fault!
    The Democrats take no responsibility for anything Anyone but the nitwit in the mirrors fault!

The principal has THREE YEARS of evaluations to rid themselves of poor teachers and do not have to grant tenure at the end of their probationary period. Most poor teachers quit, or the principal fires them WAY BEFORE THAT. Its why most teachers are granted tenure. The principal has seen THREE YEARS worth of observations. It doesnt take that long for a principal to decide if the teacher is worthy so often the "bad" teacher if fired well before they are up for tenure.

But I get it, most of you get your info from FOX NEWS and politicians who would rather fire ALL teachers, good or bad, because it saves money that they can steal.

Here is the kicker, there are very few truly bad teachers in the system. It DEFINITELY does not warrant all of YOUR money being spent trying to prove it. Instead, its created an atmosphere where the whole system is stressed out because principals are trying to prove teachers are incompetent when there is very little evidence.

This is whats happening.
    And the tenured ones that suck stay and the one's that abuse children go to the rubber roomBrilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Dude, I grew up in Georgia, you know, down South where it's actually REALLY HOT, and even in the 70's and 80's, we didn't have air conditioning until I reached the 9th grade.

Somehow,we managed to get educated just fine.
    Hysterical! Anything to take the side of the politicians and billionaires that control the money.

You know they also use to smoke in restaurants. Then we found out how bad it was and we changed. Should we have just left it alone?

Ever hear of asthma? The percentage of children and adults who have this disease has increased in the past 20 years. Should we just ignore it? Have you been in a building recently that is more than two floors that does not have air conditioning when the temperature is over 85 degrees? Imagine, now over crowd it with kids who speak different languages, back grounds, and some who are criminally minded. Great learning environment!

But I get it, its best for the billionaires and politicians not to spend money to make a basic healthy environment for children and adults. Let them keep money.

RAISE THOSE SCORES!!!! (wink wink)

Hysterical! Anything to take the side of the politicians and billionaires that control the money.

You know they also use to smoke in restaurants. Then we found out how bad it was and we changed. Should we have just left it alone?

Ever hear of asthma? The percentage of children and adults who have this disease has increased in the past 20 years. Should we just ignore it? Have you been in a building recently that is more than two floors that does not have air conditioning when the temperature is over 85 degrees? Imagine, now over crowd it with kids who speak different languages, back grounds, and some who are criminally minded. Great learning environment!

But I get it, its best for the billionaires and politicians not to spend money to make a basic healthy environment for children and adults. Let them keep money.

RAISE THOSE SCORES!!!! (wink wink)
    NO! Lower them like Bayonne NJ You can't educated them lower the standards!!! It's the liberal way!! The boats don"t float, Drain the lake!!!
    Last edited by acepepe; 09-12-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Don't worry about it Copernicus.

The right have made it abundantly clear who they think the enemy is.

Unions. Their neighbors. Fireman. Teachers. To them, the people with private jets are sorely mistreated...the person in the minivan is the enemy of America.

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...