Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Chicago Teachers Union Strikes

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    I've got no view whatsoever about the points being made at the negotiating table.

Without knowing a damn thing about it, calling a strike the day school starts is disgusting.

If you were going to strike, walk out in June. Let the city plan to keep school doors open however they can - because while that's bad for your leverage, it's what's best for the children, and their interests have to come first.

This? This is saying "F the children; we'll do whatever it takes to get ours"

That's not an attitude I can condone.
    Listen, a civil service strike is always uncomfortable. Every time a public union strikes there are some people who say "oh my god, they are __________ , they can't strike, they're too important! Think about the _________."

It's leverage. A teacher strike in the summer isn't a strike.

I don't know enough about any of the important factors on this particular strike to have an opinion or support a side.

This thread is just people taking a drive-by sh*t on teachers/unions. Whether in this situation it's deserved or not, I don't know, and as you said yourself, you don't know the details.

I'm just saying we can give it a week and learn what the f*** is going on before we all suit up and battle.
    Last edited by SafetyBlitz; 09-12-2012 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Don't worry about it Copernicus.

The right have made it abundantly clear who they think the enemy is.

Unions. Their neighbors. Fireman. Teachers. To them, the people with private jets are sorely mistreated...the person in the minivan is the enemy of America.

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...
    You make a good point. I think its time for the wealthiest 1% to receive yet another tax break. Don't worry it will trickle down to the rest of us

It never fails to amaze me to see some of the responses from the Breakfast Club crowd. Those are the people who think they are qualified to pronounce teachers to be overpaid and under-worked on the basis that they were once students in school and remember how easy it was. Or how their teachers seemed to do nothing. Or maybe they know a friend of a friend who is a gym teacher and told him he has it easy.

Either way, I would LOVE for some of those posters to pick up their pants, walk through the metal detectors to an urban school and get in front of the class for five periods. Let them walk through the halls and see the reality of what life is like today for many of these kids; the drugs, the gang violence, the weapons. And that is before any lesson plans or teaching is done. Let them realize that being a teacher is as much to do with being their parent, psychologist, counselor as it is teaching them a subject.

The breakfast club days are long gone, as is the innocence of todays generation. No Ferris Buellers either. Just come in day after day and tell the teachers who work in high risk districts (and there are more and more of them) that they are overpaid. Some will have to change their underwear from pissing themselves first.

Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 09-12-2012 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    You make a good point. I think its time for the wealthiest 1% to receive yet another tax break. Don't worry it will trickle down to the rest of us
    US???? LMAO

Forget the 1 percent...those of us making 100K to 250K self employed or working for a real company have it no where as good as a NY teacher.

You will retire with a rich pension (say 60K) and health benefits for life.PLEASE..you are not us.

PK is naive..... has no concept how hard it is to provide the benny package of a civil servant.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    US???? LMAO

Forget the 1 percent...those of us making 100K to 250K self employed or working for a real company have it no where as good as a NY teacher.

You will retire with a rich pension (say 60K) and health benefits for life.PLEASE..you are not us.

PK is naive..... has no concept how hard it is to provide the benny package of a civil servant.
    Dude, you're not playing the game right.

You're supposed to compare civil servants to billionaires so you could understand how reasonable their demands are.

Comparing them to everyone around them just makes the argument that much harder to sell . . .

US???? LMAO

On what planet are you currently on?

Are you stating that the average school teacher in NY makes 200K? Seriously?

Jets Insider VIP
    It never fails to amaze me to see some of the responses from the Breakfast Club crowd. Those are the people who think they are qualified to pronounce teachers to be overpaid and under-worked on the basis that they were once students in school and remember how easy it was. Or how their teachers seemed to do nothing. Or maybe they know a friend of a friend who is a gym teacher and told him he has it easy.

Either way, I would LOVE for some of those posters to pick up their pants, walk through the metal detectors to an urban school and get in front of the class for five periods. Let them walk through the halls and see the reality of what life is like today for many of these kids; the drugs, the gang violence, the weapons. And that is before any lesson plans or teaching is done. Let them realize that being a teacher is as much to do with being their parent, psychologist, counselor as it is teaching them a subject.

The breakfast club days are long gone, as is the innocence of todays generation. No Ferris Buellers either. Just come in day after day and tell the teachers who work in high risk districts (and there are more and more of them) that they are overpaid. Some will have to change their underwear from pissing themselves first.

LOL.

So I guess that makes you part of the "Lean On Me" crowd, where every school is like Joe Clark's.

Tell you what - I'll gladly come work a year (excuse me, for 9 months) at an inner-city school if you come and do the same at my job. Risk your life on a daily basis, and then come try to repeat your sob stories about how hard your life is.

By the way, I don't get tenure. No one does. I could be gone tomorrow, despite the fact that I'm a documented top-performer. I don't complain about it. I go to work and I do my job. The idea of striking for permanent, guaranteed job security has never crossed my mind, and it never will.

Well said

Quote Originally Posted by acepepe View Post
    And the tenured ones that suck stay and the one's that abuse children go to the rubber roomBrilliant!
    Get rid of tenure and you will have an entire school system run by 20 year olds who make minimum salary. Politicians will find a way to fire ALL TEACHERS who are above minimum salary. Teacher will be proven to be terrible teachers according to tests that are more confusing to read and make everyone look like failures.

But I get it. Trust politicians with the future of your child rather than licensed teachers.
    Last edited by copernicus; 09-12-2012 at 08:42 PM.

A liberal creation!!! When you foster a ENTITLEMENT, mentality, encourage one parent families, and don't promote moral values this is what you end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    LOL.

So I guess that makes you part of the "Lean On Me" crowd, where every school is like Joe Clark's.

Tell you what - I'll gladly come work a year (excuse me, for 9 months) at an inner-city school if you come and do the same at my job. Risk your life on a daily basis, and then come try to repeat your sob stories about how hard your life is.

By the way, I don't get tenure. No one does. I could be gone tomorrow, despite the fact that I'm a documented top-performer. I don't complain about it. I go to work and I do my job. The idea of striking for permanent, guaranteed job security has never crossed my mind, and it never will.
    Sounds A LOT like you are complaining about it

Cops, firemen, sanitation, ems, correction officers, DOT, all have tenure, its just called something different.

Too bad you didnt choose one of these type jobs. No one wanted them, in the 1990s, come to think of it, ever. Its only after the economy collapsed that the right is crying that civil servants make too much. Pathetic and laughable.

LOL.

One, I am not aware of what you do for a living.

Two, its not a sob story; it is simply reality. I never said that my life is hard. I love my job because I leave every day and know, without one second of hesitation, that I make a difference.

Joe Clark? Lean on me? That is more Hollywood fiction then reality even though it is supposed to be based on a true story. The reality is much more sobering.

Quote Originally Posted by acepepe View Post
    A liberal creation!!! When you foster a ENTITLEMENT, mentality, encourage one parent families, and don't promote moral values this is what you end up with.
    Or we can have a conservative mentality and still have the schools segregated? You don't want to get into stereotyping, do you?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Sounds A LOT like you are complaining about it

Cops, firemen, sanitation, ems, correction officers, DOT, all have tenure, its just called something different.

Too bad you didnt choose one of these type jobs. No one wanted them, in the 1990s, come to think of it, ever. Its only after the economy collapsed that the right is crying that civil servants make too much. Pathetic and laughable.
    What's pathetic and laughable is that you clearly don't seem to understand that when the economy collapsed, less money became available to pay civil servants, but because their unions are able to negotiate with those they elect, that they actually get more. You don't seem to understand that when the economy goes bad, EVERYONE has to make sacrifices.

If I ever come across a teacher of my kid that has your level of disconnect from reality, I'll be pulling him out of school immediately

Get rid of tenure and you will have an entire school system run by 20 year olds .
    Could they do any worse than you and your cohorts are doing?

Or we can have a conservative mentality and still have the schools segregated? You don't want to get into stereotyping, do you?
    Funny thing is that many black parents are actually pushing for more segregated schools

On what planet are you currently on?

Are you stating that the average school teacher in NY makes 200K? Seriously?
    Not at all, did you read my post, it is clear what I said. I have re-read my post several times and not certain how you cant understand except for the fact you don't wish to.

BUT the average NY school teacher retires with a pension of 60K to 80K and FULL benefits usually in their 50's. That's over 1.5 million paid to an elementary school teacher AFTER they retire. Please tell me what industry wouldn't collapse from that.

NO ONE other than civil servants have this and WE pay for it. Those of us earning between 100K and 250K.

PLEASE brush up on your reading fundamentals.
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 09-13-2012 at 05:25 AM.

US???? LMAO

That "rich" pension is something that I pay into EVERY PAY CHECK. I dont get a pension, I buy into it. Its my money that is invested into a pension system.
    Last edited by copernicus; 09-13-2012 at 08:54 AM.

LOL.

LOL, reference a movie from 20 years ago, a bit out of touch. Im not surprised. Take a walk away from your district and you will find a world of schools with kids that have issues that have not been seen before. Guess who deals with the drug addicted student? The kid whose mother is a prostitute? The child whose parents are going through a divorce? The teacher! The teacher who was hired to teach math becomes guidance counselor, therapist, nurse, and parent. Add the usual gangs, drugs, violence, language barriers and the hidden agenda that the government deems as important becomes the least priority for most when it comes to developing students into productive adults.

But I get it, lousy teachers across America, who historically have been under-payed for ever, caused the economic decline. Laughable. And it was those same teachers that are causing terrible scores on tests created by a system that wants those same teachers fired so they can keep the money for themselves.

You guys make me laugh!
    Last edited by copernicus; 09-13-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Where is the evidence of this? Has our society totally broken down? Is our economic woes because young adults cant read or write? They are totally illiterate?

Keep watching FOX......America's problems all fall on the sixth grade teachers!!!!........

I do not keep a compilation of studies at hand but it is a regular report on the status of our education. BAD.
    See the NY Times. It's pretty bad and teachers are either hiding or covering it up
    You yourself have said, "Woe is me. I can't do anything about it. My hands are tied. I'm doomed to failure."
    Then GET OUT and do something you can succeed at. You are part of the problem - a losing attitude.