Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Chicago Teachers Union Strikes

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    You make a good point. I think its time for the wealthiest 1% to receive yet another tax break. Don't worry it will trickle down to the rest of us

Hey genius. Who is talking about additional tax breaks for the 1%?
    With your reading comprehension, it's no wonder your students are substandard - your own admission

Why should the schools be forced to keep the children around if they have no interest in learning. We are spending thousands on a bunch of dumbasses who just don't care!

Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    Why should the schools be forced to keep the children around if they have no interest in learning. We are spending thousands on a bunch of dumbasses who just don't care!

Because the kiddies get free breakfast and lunch while mommy does nothing. No daddy available. Baby sitting until they drop out. Or get arrested themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Your young wife must work in a bizzaro world where only the inexperienced teach the experienced how to perform.

How does she know this? Is she inside the classroom observing them? Seems pretty judgmental from afar.

Tell your young wife that one day she might have even more responsibilities that have to do with raising your family. Ask her how she might feel when a young inexperienced teacher runs around the building and makes negative judgments from afar about her.
    Unintentional irony FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    Listen, a civil service strike is always uncomfortable. Every time a public union strikes there are some people who say "oh my god, they are __________ , they can't strike, they're too important! Think about the _________."
    Except when those unions go on strike - when the MTA workers walk out - they don't say "we're doing it for the transit riders". They are striking because they want better pay and working conditions for themselves. Transit riders just have to deal with it in the interim; the union is putting itself first.

And it has every right to.

Teachers' Unions? Well, just read Copernicus' maunderings on here. Why are the teachers striking? It's for the children.

More, that's how the TU positions itself on all issues. It's against testing "for the children." Against teacher evaluations and accountability "for the children"

It's a lie. All of it, on all the various positions, is a lie. Individual teachers may be all about the children. Teachers' Unions are all about the teachers' interests, and the kids are a distant second.

Problem is, they can't rally public opinion with that. So they lie. And twist themselves into Copernican pretzels trying to defend the indefensible.

It's leverage. A teacher strike in the summer isn't a strike.
    Sure it is. Replacement teachers are hard to find, and likely of lower quality than the union teachers (and if they aren't, well, that's just more evidence that the union's demands are out of whack). It's all leverage - just not as much. To avoid screwing over the children whose interests the TU constantly claims to put first.

Disgusting.

That "rich" pension is something that I pay into EVERY PAY CHECK. I dont get a pension, I buy into it. Its my money that is invested into a pension system.
    A pension system that assumes an 8% annual return or better and pays you on that basis regardless of the reality, which is why so many states have unfunded pension liabilities.

How about you buy into an IRA or 401K instead of a pension? Does that work for you? If so, get the TU behind it and these contracts will get signed in no time.

If not, you know exactly how big of a falsehood your "I don't get a pension, I buy into it" claim is.

Jets Insider VIP
    That "rich" pension is something that I pay into EVERY PAY CHECK. I dont get a pension, I buy into it. Its my money that is invested into a pension system.
    All due respect..we need good workers in our schools, cops and I am all for good pay. etc.. It is not the pay I disagree wth, its the benefits that are bankrupting us. To pay someone $60,000 a year AFTER they retire, and they retire in their 50's is bankrupting counties, cities etc.... I have lawyers and Doctors who work in to their 60's as clients whose pension are not as good as a 50K civil servant, teacher, postal worker. THAT is simply wrong.

The BUY IN comment that you make has been made ad nauseum by civl workers for decades and shows such a lack of finance knowledge.

You believe that paying say $3 thousand to $4 thousand (if that) annually for 25 years buys a 60K pension for life? Really?

As a CFP, I can tell you that you would need to set aside well over $1 million to get that. WELL OVER.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    All due respect..we need good workers in our schools, cops and I am all for good pay. etc.. It is not the pay I disagree wth, its the benefits that are bankrupting us. To pay someone $60,000 a year AFTER they retire, and they retire in their 50's is bankrupting counties, cities etc.... I have lawyers and Doctors who work in to their 60's as clients whose pension are not as good as a 50K civil servant, teacher, postal worker. THAT is simply wrong.

The BUY IN comment that you make has been made ad nauseum by civl workers for decades and shows such a lack of finance knowledge.

You believe that paying say $3 thousand to $4 thousand (if that) annually for 25 years buys a 60K pension for life? Really?

As a CFP, I can tell you that you would need to set aside well over $1 million to get that. WELL OVER.

CPA. You mean YOU can't get $60K a year for your clients for life on a $3K a year contribution? After 30 years and retiring at 55. How dare you misrepresent yourself as a CFP.
    These civil service guys really do not have any clue at all about the real world. It's Fantasyland. No accountability and money for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    A pension system that assumes an 8% annual return or better and pays you on that basis regardless of the reality, which is why so many states have unfunded pension liabilities.

How about you buy into an IRA or 401K instead of a pension? Does that work for you? If so, get the TU behind it and these contracts will get signed in no time.

If not, you know exactly how big of a falsehood your "I don't get a pension, I buy into it" claim is.
    These guys like Cop know they are getting one over on the system. It's understandable when they come on places like this screaming about all of their false justifications.

"I dont get a pension, I buy into it. Its my money that is invested into a pension system" This line takes the cake for the biggest crock of ****e I have ever seen posted on a message board and I've seen some doozies.

First of all the Teachers work for us, the tax payers not the state US. We will pay them what we can afford to pay. If they don't like it LEAVE. The teachers unions help elect the people they get a contract from. Talk about a bull**** system. No public employee unions should be allowed to strike PERIOD!

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Because the kiddies get free breakfast and lunch while mommy does nothing. No daddy available. Baby sitting until they drop out. Or get arrested themselves.
    YOU'RE a RACIST!!! I have the Chris Matthews decoder ring that shows how to decipher the RACIST "code words and phrases. Now I demand you publicly apologize to all guilt ridden, white, liberals.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    First of all the Teachers work for us, the tax payers not the state US. We will pay them what we can afford to pay. If they don't like it LEAVE. The teachers unions help elect the people they get a contract from. Talk about a bull**** system. No public employee unions should be allowed to EXIST PERIOD!
    Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

Poor lawyers and doctors who get paid a hefty salary should invest some of that money and they wont be so broke at the end. Maybe trade in that Porche for a Hundyai like I drive?

So many on the right crying about extravagant life style of the teacher. Do you realize how you sound? Just laughable. If a teachers job is so off the charts great, why dont you apply?

Jets Insider VIP
    Poor lawyers and doctors who get paid a hefty salary should invest some of that money and they wont be so broke at the end. Maybe trade in that Porche for a Hundyai like I drive?

So many on the right crying about extravagant life style of the teacher. Do you realize how you sound? Just laughable. If a teachers job is so off the charts great, why dont you apply?

Have you seen the numbers for lawyers btw. More unemployed lawyers than almost any profession. But we digress.

We cant all work for government. Some actually have to pay the tax that pays you.

Why should you civil worker have a 10 times better pension than an IBM employee with far more education and training?

The system now that CANT exist anywhere but government is bankrupting towns and cities across the country and driving tax rates through the roof. Very simple.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Do you realize how you sound? Just laughable.
    You might want to ponder this a while, till you get it, Copernicus.

Unintentional irony is funny.

If a teachers job is so off the charts great, why dont you apply?
    Perhaps because we like what we choose to do, or serve the public in other ways, or simply don't like kids, or even (gasp) already have good jobs ourselves?

You're simply going to have to come to terms Copernicus, that as a public servant (you. serve. us.), the level of compensation you recieve, and how your job works and what it's tasked to accomplish, will ALWAYS be up for public discourse, criticism and oversight, and will always be effected by overall economic reality as a part of public (we. pay. for. it.) spending/investment.

The fact that you have CLEARLY forgotten the "public" part of your public service employment is at the core of where you've gone so horribly off the rails.

End of the day, almost every argument you make here is one of personal gain and personal protection, more for you. Not the kids. Not the public. You.