Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago Teachers Union Strikes

Chicago Teachers Union Strikes

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/10/us/ill...html?hpt=hp_t1

TLDR: Union strikes over the usual, they don't want to be evaluated or lose job security due to results on tests/testing, and they want more than the 16% over 4 Year increase (the Average teacher salary listed in the article now is $74,000+ in cash, + Benefits, + Time Off) that the City offered.

Pretty much what Copernicus usually says, Teacher are too complicated a job and too special to be evaluated, even by professionals or objective testings, and teachers should be paid, on average, more than $85,000/year + Benefits + Time Off, or in more concice langauge should get total compensation for work of over $120K per year.

Odds say, Teachers union will win this one.

All League
    any quotes from the obama administration???

Jets Insider VIP
    Not worried.

Union strikes are at their lowest levels in a century.

Non. Story.

All Pro
    From the article: "This is no way to measure the effectiveness of an educator," Lewis said Sunday.

Lolz, well I guess that's that. Tenure for all b/c I guess you're all doing a bang up job, or not, we're not sure, but everyone stays, even the gym teachers/diddlers!

Fire them all, allow them to reapply for their jobs and if they don't have enough applicants, attract teachers from other states. $85K for what is essentially a bit more than a part time job is ridiculous.

They can't be fired, it's in their contract. State employees should be fired if they go out on strike. This about them not the children. If the job is to tough go work for a private school. But they will hold you to higher standards.
    No wonder Chicago is going down the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Non. Story.
    Says alot about you thats the best you got on this topic.

Damn dissapointing the deepest you go is "Whats the Unions side, ok, thats my side too".

the school district opened 144 of its 578 schools for part of the day to provide a safe environment and meals to children in need. Many children going to these in-school programs had to pass picket lines, as their teachers chanted, held signs and otherwise made their opinions heard. Ola Esho, father of a student at Ray Elementary School, told CNN affiliate WBBM he "was not happy" about the commotion and tension, which he said he unnerved his children.
    "I would not want to keep my children here unnecessarily, so I'm taking them back home," said Yahu Vinayaraj, another father of children at the same school in the city's Hyde Park neighborhood.
    It's all about the children.

A teachers union strike is disgusting. Disgusting.

Teachers unions are a symbol of all that is going wrong in Americas municipalities. Protect Pedofiles? Check! Greed? Check! Putting money and greed above the needs of our children? Check! Harming inner city children by blocking all attempts at school choice? Check!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Teachers unions are a symbol of all that is going wrong in Americas municipalities. Protect Pedofiles? Check! Greed? Check! Putting money and greed above the needs of our children? Check! Harming inner city children by blocking all attempts at school choice? Check!
    Stiff arm politicians. .check.
    Demand pay twice as much as private school teachers check
    Retire in our fifties on 55K to 90K at our neighbors expense check
    have our members graduate in the easiest major in college check

And yet when you see the postings on JI of these paragons of academic brilliance ( Copernicus and IJF at the top of the list), they always say" But I stay at this low paying job for the good of the children". LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Stiff arm politicians. .check.
    Demand pay twice as much as private school teachers check
    Retire in our fifties on 55K to 90K at our neighbors expense check
    have our members graduate in the easiest major in college check
    Politically I am hoping that this strike goes on and on. It will be bad short term for the school children of Chicago but longer term if this opens the public's eyes to the cruelty and greed of these public sector unions the country, and those kids, will be better off.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Politically I am hoping that this strike goes on and on. It will be bad short term for the school children of Chicago but longer term if this opens the public's eyes to the cruelty and greed of these public sector unions the country, and those kids, will be better off.
    One of the major breaking points for me was having to cross picket lines in a nice town on LI just to go to parent teacher night. I was a CPA with a masters degree making less than a teacher who went to the same college as I did. I of course worked summers. I have in general been very under impressed by most of my childrens teachers. Average students themselves, majoring in an easy major at relatively easy colleges to get into having never had to live in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    It's all about the children.

A teachers union strike is disgusting. Disgusting.
    What if all of these new mandates that come down from politicians were truly hurting children?

I find it unreal how so many think all politicians are crooked and corrupt EXCEPT when it comes to how they make madates that affect some of the most vulnerable in our society, children.

WAKE UP! The testing of your children is so over the top that it is actually hurting them. It doesnt come close to judging a teacher's skills in the classroom. It ONLY makes money for politicians and their friends at the top.

Finland has the top school system in the world and they dont test their students until they are SEVENTEEN years old!

As opposed to here where we stick a state test in front of a child at five years old!

You'd be singing a much different tune if you actual knew what was really going on in schools
    Last edited by copernicus; 09-11-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    What if all of these new mandates that come down from politicians were truly hurting children?

I find it unreal how so many think all politicians are crooked and corrupt EXCEPT when it comes to how they make madates that affect some of the most vulnerable in our society, children.

WAKE UP! The testing of your children is so over the top that it is actually hurting them. It doesnt come close to judging a teacher's skills in the classroom. It ONLY makes money for politicians and their friends at the top.

Finland has the top school system in the world and they dont test their students until they are SEVENTEEN years old!

As opposed to here where we stick a state test in front of a child at five years old!

You'd be singing a much different tune if you actual knew what was really going on in schools
    Funny that you mention Finland as it brings up a very interesting statistical correlation. Guess what most of the "top ranked" countries have in common with each other ?

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post

Finland doesn't have 30%(est) trash parent that don't GAF about their little meal tickets nor their education.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Funny that you mention Finland as it brings up a very interesting statistical correlation. Guess what most of the "top ranked" countries have in common with each other ?
    Please, do tell!

All League
    visual aid here for the " ignorance is bliss" crowd.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVyNlJUKgug

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by acepepe View Post
    Please, do tell!
    From a little reading...Finlands teachers come from the top graduates of University. Our teaching colleges attract well, Let's just say, NOT the top ten percent.

Google easiest college major......