Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago Teachers Union Strikes

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Fire them all, allow them to reapply for their jobs and if they don't have enough applicants, attract teachers from other states. $85K for what is essentially a bit more than a part time job is ridiculous.
    Actually it is not a part time job for many teachers if you count the amount of prep time/planning that takes place out of school. Your statement is only correct if you assume that most teachers just show up for work and then leave as soon as the last class ends....and then does no work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Not worried.

Union strikes are at their lowest levels in a century.

Non. Story.
    in another decade there may not be any unions left for conservatives to use as scapegoats for why the economy is a fail.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    in another decade there may not be any unions left for conservatives to use as scapegoats for why the economy is a fail.
    There will always be public unions. private unions drive their employer out of business.

All League
    Are we all suddenly experts in the Chicago education system, the Chicago public fiscal situation and cost of living there?

Not all strikes are the same, sometimes both sides have a point, sometimes one side clearly has a better argument.

You don't have to pick a side the first time you hear about something.

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    Are we all suddenly experts in the Chicago education system, the Chicago public fiscal situation and cost of living there?

Not all strikes are the same, sometimes both sides have a point, sometimes one side clearly has a better argument.

You don't have to pick a side the first time you hear about something.
    Ave chitown salary 56k ave teachers 76k plus outrageousbenefitsthat the public sector could only DREAM of. plus summers off!! cry mea F'N river

Wow, that would be extremely nice. I can't wait for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by acepepe View Post
    Please, do tell!
    Am sure this will cause some strife and some tempers to flare, but the countries on the top of the rankings all have largely homogenous societies.

Actually it is not a part time job for many teachers if you count the amount of prep time/planning that takes place out of school. Your statement is only correct if you assume that most teachers just show up for work and then leave as soon as the last class ends....and then does no work at all.
    Boil that down to hours. How many do teachers put in per year ?

BTW, most studies that I have seen show that teachers work, on avg, about 2-3 hours less per day than most other professions do, and that's just looking at daily hours. Doesn't factor in that teachers only have 180 or so work days per year.

Wow, that would be extremely nice. I can't wait for the day.
    Of course

and yet there is not one word from conservatives that major corporations are tightening its grip on the democracy with the Supreme Court ruling on citizens united so it is even easier to buy our democracy.

Its amazing how we see (only) the ills of one special interest yet are blinded by partisan idealogy towards the other....

Boil that down to hours. How many do teachers put in per year ?

BTW, most studies that I have seen show that teachers work, on avg, about 2-3 hours less per day than most other professions do, and that's just looking at daily hours. Doesn't factor in that teachers only have 180 or so work days per year.
    link?

Jets Insider VIP
    Am sure this will cause some strife and some tempers to flare, but the countries on the top of the rankings all have largely homogenous societies.
    aw crap...I don't drink milk.

Flashback: 39% Of Chicago Teachers Send Their Kids To Private Schools

Good enough for thee but not for me, when it comes to the educational decisions made by Chicago public school teachers for their own children. From a study a few years ago:

Nationwide, public school teachers are almost twice as likely as other parents to choose private schools for their own children, the study by the Thomas B. Fordham Institute found. More than 1 in 5 public school teachers said their children attend private schools.

[...]

In Philadelphia, 44 percent of the teachers put their children in private schools; in Cincinnati, 41 percent; Chicago, 39 percent; Rochester, N.Y., 38 percent.

[...]

Michael Pons, spokesman for the National Education Association, the 2.7-million-member public school union, declined a request for comment on the study’s findings. The American Federation of Teachers also declined to comment. [Bold my emphasis]

Meanwhile, these educators claim to be "all about the kids" while making these children decide whether to cross an intimidating picket line or stay home.

... outside the school, dozens of teachers held their picket signs, chanted, and formed picket lines — as a handful of students and their parents tried to make their way into the building.

[...]

Parents were faced with the choice of crossing the picket line to drop off their kids, or turn around to find something else to do with their children.

[...]

Parent Ola Esho said he felt his son and his 1-year-old daughter felt a bit intimidated having to pass through the crowd of protesting teachers to get to the half-day program at Ray Elementary.

“I think it was a little bit unnerving for both of them, yeah. I wasn’t happy about that,” Esho said.

But it's about the kids -- or at least, that's what they say.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...private-school

35 students in a classroom built for 20 in the 1950s

No air conditioning with temperatures in the 90s making the temperature inside the classroom well over 100.

Cant suspend students until multiple documented infractions have happened over a long period of time.

That same student will destroy even the greatest teacher's lesson EVERY DAY and affect EVERY student's ability to learn around him.

Pepper in that more than half the class cannot speak English fluently.

Yeah, pretty fair to judge a teacher's performance with conditions like that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post

No air conditioning with temperatures in the 90s making the temperature inside the classroom well over 100.

Cant suspend students until multiple documented infractions have happened over a long period of time.

That same student will destroy even the greatest teacher's lesson EVERY DAY and affect EVERY student's ability to learn around him.

For the record..and in all fairness. I agree with you here. Difficult to judge a teachers performance with the current diverse mix of students.

However, in "rosy white" neighborhoods on LI, performance is also falling. Not as much mind you.

Would love to hear you or IJF comment on the Finland system which only takes the top 10 percent of graduates to become teachers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Was it really a surprise that there was a diverse student population and troubled kids when they chose that job?

They were building classrooms for 20 in the 1950s? Really? I went to school in a decent LI district in the 50s. Every class has 30 at least. That's in elementary. Then Catholic school for a couple. There were 50 exactly per class.
    In HS (public), class size varied by subject and level but was always at least 25 except German which not many took. I never knew about AC until I went away to college.
    Do not remember too many suspensions because you would get your head handed to you by your parents for a letter sent home.
    Diifferent world. Progress? Every person I knew then at any grade could read. And do math. Some more than other but basic levels were met. And we were tested a lot. My teachers were better than my children's teachers. Today? Blah.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    For the record..and in all fairness. I agree with you here. Difficult to judge a teachers performance with the current diverse mix of students.

However, in "rosy white" neighborhoods on LI, performance is also falling. Not as much mind you.

Would love to hear you or IJF comment on the Finland system which only takes the top 10 percent of graduates to become teachers.
    Most outside the classroom would think that a great teacher had to have been a great student and highly intelligent. Not true. Just equate it to sports. Most often it is not the greatest players who become a great coach. Most often it is the hardworking average player throughout his career that goes on to be a better coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Most outside the classroom would think that a great teacher had to have been a great student and highly intelligent. Not true. Just equate it to sports. Most often it is not the greatest players who become a great coach. Most often it is the hardworking average player throughout his career that goes on to be a better coach.
    Luv ya but that is the biggest pile of horse$hit I have ever heard.

Really...amazing how people can justify mediocrity.

Like extending unemployment under the "its good for the economy" argument.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Luv ya but that is the biggest pile of horse$hit I have ever heard.

Really...amazing how people can justify mediocrity.

Like extending unemployment under the "its good for the economy" argument.

Not to be rude CPA, but your response agreeing with him ENABLED him to give his response. You know better than to encourage a liberal.
    If yout children had teachers like the ones on JI would they be going to NC and NC State? Nah. Western Car or Greensboro. LOL.

LMAO