Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continuing A Trend: Quarterbacks the Year After Schottenheimer

Continuing A Trend: Quarterbacks the Year After Schottenheimer

Remember this piece that Jason wrote before last year?

Look at what Pennington and Favre did the year after they got away from Schotty:

Pennington:

'07: 179/260 (68.8%); 1,675 yards (6.8 ypa, 9.9 ypc); 10 TD, 9 INT; 86.1 rating

'08: 321/476 (67.4%); 3,653 yards (7.7 ypa, 11.4 ypc); 19 TD, 7 INT; 97.4 rating

Favre:

'08: 343/522 (65.7%); 3,472 yards (6.7 ypa, 10.1 ypc); 22 TD, 22 INT; 81.0 rating

'09: 363/531 (68.4%); 4,202 yards (7.9 ypa, 11.6 ypc); 33 TD, 7 INT; 107.2 rating

Week 1 is far too early to make any definitive declarations, but we may be adding Sanchez's name to the list after this year.

Hall Of Fame
    I thought about that article through the entire game yesterday.

Hall Of Fame
    I hate Schotty but in fairness, both Favre and Pennington were hurt. As was Brees. The all had bad throwing arms under Schotty.

I assume Pennington was always hurt.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Brees, Rivers, Pennington, and Favre all improved in the seasons following Schitty.

It's natural that Sanchez would too.

SAR I

All Pro
    Is Bradford still a young enough player that once he gets out of the grip of the claws of the dreaded Schittenheimer, and plays to his expected superior level, the Schitty apologists can say he is responsible for his development, the way he is given credit for Drew Brees' and Philip Rivers'? I'm sure he will add Sanchez to his successes this year. Obviously Pennington and Favre were too advanced for him to take any credit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Thanks for reposting that article!!!

This article is simply the gold standard of analysis and reinforces why Schotty had to go.

It was this article and several others that led me to say Schotty may not be a great OC but he could wind up a very good HC someday.

Hall Of Fame
    Honestly have to feel bad for Bradford here.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Honestly have to feel bad for Bradford here.
    Why? He's guaranteed a huge improvement after they let shotty go. It's like hiring Buck Showalter - you're guaranteed a WS appearance for the year after you fire him

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I hate Schotty but in fairness, both Favre and Pennington were hurt. As was Brees. The all had bad throwing arms under Schotty.

I assume Pennington was always hurt.
    One time, maybe, but three times? Can't have it both ways. Either Schotty sucked, or he didn't. It's obvious that he handicaps his QBs.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    One time, maybe, but three times? Can't have it both ways. Either Schotty sucked, or he didn't. It's obvious that he handicaps his QBs.
    What team does well with a broken down QB? Brees and Chad had bad shoulders and Favre tore his biceps. Before the Favre injury we were 8-3.

Not trying to say Schotty is a great OC but we have to be fair. All things considered I still believe he is a below average OC. We will have a much better view of this come Week 17. I was pleasantly surprised with how Sparano handled the game but I am not ready to anoint him as a savior yet.

One week. One step in the right direction. I want to see more of this.

Veteran
    Man I hate that guy! Jeff Fisher made the worst mistake of his career and Bradford is doomed until Schitty gets fired. It really was incredible how bad he is. The Jets would have been Superbowl Champs in 2010 if it wasn't for him. It was worth a bad year last season in order to get rid of him.

What team does well with a broken down QB? Brees and Chad had bad shoulders and Favre tore his biceps. Before the Favre injury we were 8-3.

Not trying to say Schotty is a great OC but we have to be fair. All things considered I still believe he is a below average OC. We will have a much better view of this come Week 17. I was pleasantly surprised with how Sparano handled the game but I am not ready to anoint him as a savior yet.

And Sanchez isn't going to keep up this pace. Fact is, evidence is where it is - Schotty handicaps QBs. 3 times when he left the QB, the QB flourished.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Why? He's guaranteed a huge improvement after they let shotty go. It's like hiring Buck Showalter - you're guaranteed a WS appearance for the year after you fire him
    Schotty's harder to get rid of than flicking a piece of snot off your fingernail.

and think Tanny was going to hire Schottenfool until
    we told him about Rex - damn him for putting us
    through those six years of Schotty HELL !

Jets Insider VIP
    If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck......

Make your own jokes about throwing like a duck. I'm glad Schitty is gone.

Agreed with the rest of your post, but if you want to be fair, then lets.

A healthy Favre and this team went 8-3 in spite of Schotty. Favre literally passed up the playbook, and made things happen on his own with Lav, Keller, and Leon that year. It was widely reported, and the proof is in Schotty's numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Let's hope the Orioles hold on to him a while longer then. (But it's kinda amazing how he is able to turn around the fortunes of every franchise he manages.)

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    Agreed with the rest of your post, but if you want to be fair, then lets.

A healthy Favre and this team went 8-3 in spite of Schotty. Favre literally passed up the playbook, and made things happen on his own with Lav, Keller, and Leon that year. It was widely reported, and the proof is in Schotty's numbers.
    Good point. I was going to add that to my post.

Lets just see how this plays out this year. We are going to learn a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Remember this piece that Jason wrote before last year?

Look at what Pennington and Favre did the year after they got away from Schotty:

Pennington:

'07: 179/260 (68.8%); 1,675 yards (6.8 ypa, 9.9 ypc); 10 TD, 9 INT; 86.1 rating

'08: 321/476 (67.4%); 3,653 yards (7.7 ypa, 11.4 ypc); 19 TD, 7 INT; 97.4 rating

Favre:

'08: 343/522 (65.7%); 3,472 yards (6.7 ypa, 10.1 ypc); 22 TD, 22 INT; 81.0 rating

'09: 363/531 (68.4%); 4,202 yards (7.9 ypa, 11.6 ypc); 33 TD, 7 INT; 107.2 rating

Week 1 is far too early to make any definitive declarations, but we may be adding Sanchez's name to the list after this year.
    Just a matter of time before we add Sanchez to the list.

All Pro
    It might be what brings Sanchez from being a good QB to a great one. It's like training running in the sand. Now that he's used to Shotty, this should be a cake walk. Just think. What no one is mentioning is that this is his first week in a brand new offense.