Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imagaine, if you will, a World Without Tebow...

Imagaine, if you will, a World Without Tebow...

It's opening day, 2012, the first run of the Sparano-led Jets Offense.

The Jets #2 QB today is Drew Stanton.

Even in a perfect world, Mark Sanchez still sits for 5-10 plays.

On those plays, the Sparano-Wildcat is still run.

Except, in a world without Tebow, it's run by Kerley instead.

If the idea of a Kerley Wildcat is something you don't want, you'd have to also want a World Without Sparano.

With Sparano, comes the QB-on-the-sidelines Wildcat/Option.

So....a world without Tebow.

What would that world look like for the Jets? Would yesterdays result have been different? If so, how? Would Sanchez have been more, or less, distratced and put out of rhythm?

Is it Tebow ON the field and IN the locker room you want gone?

Or is it Tebow OFF the field, the media-driven hype and the religious-baggage, that you really want gone?

Could Kerley/McKnight have been enough of a Wildcat to be "enough" for what Sparano wanted and was going to run either way?

All League
    Yesterdsay's outcome would've been much different. Tebow on the field causes teams to gameplan in a whole new way and that gives us the advantage. I want that guy on my team for a loooong time.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    It's opening day, 2012, the first run of the Sparano-led Jets Offense.

The Jets #2 QB today is Drew Stanton.

Even in a perfect world, Mark Sanchez still sits for 5-10 plays.

On those plays, the Sparano-Wildcat is still run.

Except, in a world without Tebow, it's run by Kerley instead.

If the idea of a Kerley Wildcat is something you don't want, you'd have to also want a World Without Sparano.

With Sparano, comes the QB-on-the-sidelines Wildcat/Option.

So....a world without Tebow.

What would that world look like for the Jets? Would yesterdays result have been different? If so, how? Would Sanchez have been more, or less, distratced and put out of rhythm?

Is it Tebow ON the field and IN the locker room you want gone?

Or is it Tebow OFF the field, the media-driven hype and the religious-baggage, that you really want gone?

Could Kerley/McKnight have been enough of a Wildcat to be "enough" for what Sparano wanted and was going to run either way?
    Thats a really good philosophical question. In your scenario of a Tebow less world, we would not have the people who were touting him as a viable starter and a better QB than Sanchez. We would not have the people who are clinging to notion that the mere presence of him on the sideline is making Mark perform better, or that he is some guru to Mark.

My issue with Tebow has nothing to do with his religious preferences or him personally at all. Hell, my son has a Tebow T-shirt, and I like the fact that he can "look up to" an athlete that I do not have to worry about showing up in the police blotter, or having to explain why he has 8 kids with 7 different women.

Tebow in his role yesterday is fine and it was what I expected it to be. My issue has always been with the, for lack of a better word, the Tebowites.

All League
    Sanchez is more motivated and locked in than he's ever been in his career. Much of that is because of the competition Tebow fosters. Rich Gannon was alluding to it a lot yesterday during the game and I agree completely with him.

2009: Kellen Clemens - zero threat to Sanchez's job.
    2010: Mark Brunell - negative zero threat to Sanchez's job.
    2011: " " "
    2012: Tim Tebow - possibly the most polarizing athlete in America and a quarterback who was drafted in the first round with a division title on his resume.

Sanchez has proven he performs better under pressurized situations (the playoff wins). Now he faces that pressure week to week, knowing he's actually got a viable quarterback breathing right behind him on the depth chart - because of this, hopefully we'll see playoff Sanchez this regular season. This is what I was most optimistic about when we acquired Tebow, a legitimate backup option.

I don't want to imagine a Jets team/a world without Tebow. He makes Sanchez better (Sparano has been huge as well but that's a different story), and he gives us a legitimate backup option for the first time in years.

This team is better with Tim Tebow than without. The media circus is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Banks81 View Post
    Yesterdsay's outcome would've been much different. Tebow on the field causes teams to gameplan in a whole new way and that gives us the advantage. I want that guy on my team for a loooong time.
    Seriously???
    Do you really believe what you wrote?
    Tebow threw ZERO passes.....ZERO.....So do you really think that Ds are playing the pass when Tebow is behind center??? You call it an advantage for the Jets O.....But I bet when Bills D saw Tebow behind center, they screamed...."ITS A RUN"
    And Tebow on the line as TE......becoming a nonentity as a pass catcher really makes it a 10 on 11 play

Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post
    Sanchez is more motivated and locked in than he's ever been in his career. Much of that is because of the competition Tebow fosters. Rich Gannon was alluding to it a lot yesterday during the game and I agree completely with him.

2012: Tim Tebow - possibly the most polarizing athlete in America and a quarterback who was drafted in the first round with a division title on his resume.

Sanchez has proven he performs better under pressurized situations (the playoff wins). Now he faces that pressure week to week, knowing he's actually got a viable quarterback breathing right behind him on the depth chart - because of this, hopefully we'll see playoff Sanchez this regular season. This is what I was most optimistic about when we acquired Tebow, a legitimate backup option.

I don't want to imagine a Jets team/a world without Tebow. He makes Sanchez better (Sparano has been huge as well but that's a different story), and he gives us a legitimate backup option for the first time in years.

This team is better with Tim Tebow than without. The media circus is irrelevant.

Oh, you've opened up a can of stuff for yourself now. It's a violation of a Commandment for you to say that Tebow or his presence has has helped Mark in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Oh, you've opened up a can of stuff for yourself now. It's a violation of a Commandment for you to say that Tebow or his presence has has helped Mark in any way.
    Merrill Hodge on ESPN said Tebow was a negative. Nothing but a distraction and added no value. offense was humming and Tebow slowed it down.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Thats a really good philosophical question. In your scenario of a Tebow less world, we would not have the people who were touting him as a viable starter and a better QB than Sanchez. We would not have the people who are clinging to notion that the mere presence of him on the sideline is making Mark perform better, or that he is some guru to Mark.

My issue with Tebow has nothing to do with his religious preferences or him personally at all. Hell, my son has a Tebow T-shirt, and I like the fact that he can "look up to" an athlete that I do not have to worry about showing up in the police blotter, or having to explain why he has 8 kids with 7 different women.

Tebow in his role yesterday is fine and it was what I expected it to be. My issue has always been with the, for lack of a better word, the Tebowites.
    Are the Tebowites any different then the Sanchize fanatics? Both put their star before the team and that is wrong! Yet IMO it makes no difference which QB gets us and wins a SB. It seems that too many here want to blame everything on TEBOWITES when Sachize fanatics are equally as bad and wrong! GO JETS!

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Merrill Hodge on ESPN said Tebow was a negative. Nothing but a distraction and added no value. offense was humming and Tebow slowed it down.
    Merrill Hodge is an idiot Was funny watching Ditka and Parcells smack him around last year.

Merrill Hodge is an idiot Was funny watching Ditka and Parcells smack him around last year.
    What's up with Merrill Hodge's tie knot being bigger than his head?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    Seriously???
    Do you really believe what you wrote?
    Tebow threw ZERO passes.....ZERO.....So do you really think that Ds are playing the pass when Tebow is behind center??? You call it an advantage for the Jets O.....But I bet when Bills D saw Tebow behind center, they screamed...."ITS A RUN"
    And Tebow on the line as TE......becoming a nonentity as a pass catcher really makes it a 10 on 11 play
    Yes I believe what I wrote. Maybe you should read it better. I don't believe that teams are playing the pass when Tebow is behind center... Did I say that? No... you did. So what you're saying is that teams don't have to gameplan at all for him and that they should just assume its a run everytime? And why is it 10 on 11 if he lines up as a TE? Do you really think that teams are just going to let him get wide open and act as though he isn't even there? Thats just ignorant.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Under 3 yards per play I believe. Tebow looked sloooow out there. He didn't contribute on offense at all yesterday and certainly had nothing to do with Sanchez's excellent play. Doesn't mean Tebow won't make some big plays for us in other games though, still hoping he does.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    What's up with Merrill Hodge's tie knot being bigger than his head?
    Like 4 dimples and sh*t, yo.

Without the Tebow signing, Mark might not have had the same off-season drive to make himself better/more accurate.

Im sure he has a ton of regard for your posts though, you know independent and all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    He's right. The plays with Tebow were the least productive plays we ran.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Without the Tebow signing, Mark might not have had the same off-season drive to make himself better/more accurate.
    Bingo.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Are the Tebowites any different then the Sanchize fanatics? Both put their star before the team and that is wrong! Yet IMO it makes no difference which QB gets us and wins a SB. It seems that too many here want to blame everything on TEBOWITES when Sachize fanatics are equally as bad and wrong! GO JETS!
    How is wanting your starting QB to be good a bad thing? Explain how I am putting Sanchez BEFORE the team?? I am not blaming anything on Tebow, I have said from day one that Tebow is not a threat to Sanchez. I have zero issue with Tebow in his current role with the Jets. My problem, as I stated before is with the Tebowites who were declaring him a viable starter and a better option than Mark, and that he has healing powers that are magically affecting the team.

I think letting Mark sit out 2 plays a drive does him some good. He's defintely the mile a minute thinker type, and slowing down really helped his game yesterday.

I'm looking forward to Tebow in the wildcat, at some point, it'll come through in the red-zone or on a wide-open pass.

Quote Originally Posted by MCBNY View Post

all of the above is true except for the last statement.

the media circus is NOT irrelevant and it's the primary reason i disliked the Tebow trade when it first went down.

all of the other points in your post could've been covered by bringing in a proven backup QB that could push Sanchez to be his best or present a legitimate threat to take the starting job if Mark didn't perform.

the problem with Tebow is that the sentiment is magnified 100x just because of the hype/fanaticism that surrounds him. that's why the conversation re: Sanchez all offseason has been "how soon does he get benched so that Tebow can start?" this wouldn't have happened with any other backup QB, but people want to see Tebow front and (under) center so that's the rhetoric.

IMHO, it's been a huge distraction and if things don't go well it has the potential to be very detrimental to the Jets.

other than that, i really like Tebow. i like how he plays, i like his drive and i like that he's willing to embrace his role as a "football player" and not just a QB. i like that he has been 100% supportive of Sanchez and has done his best to avoid creating a legitimate QB controversy. and i like that he's enough of an offensive threat to make opposing defenses waste their time preparing for the "Tebowcat" and giving more freedom to our starting offense.

We get the same result as yesterday. Far less media scrutiny in the preseason and far less negativity about the offense's struggles heading into week 1.

Kerley getting 5-10 plays is scrapped after a mediocre week 1. Sparano says he may use wildcat down the road intermittently and Kerley will primarily handle punt returns and #3 WR duties. Our fanbase chuckles at Tebow from a distance as Jacksonville scores 6 points in a bad opening loss to Minnesota.