Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Imagaine, if you will, a World Without Tebow...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsman51 View Post
    I think letting Mark sit out 2 plays a drive does him some good. He's defintely the mile a minute thinker type, and slowing down really helped his game yesterday.

I'm looking forward to Tebow in the wildcat, at some point, it'll come through in the red-zone or on a wide-open pass.
    It also gives him a chance to discuss what he sees with Sparano or to have a quick chat with a WR about the next play. I don't mind him taking a play off here and there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Like 4 dimples and sh*t, yo.

Without the Tebow signing, Mark might not have had the same off-season drive to make himself better/more accurate.
    You too man? I couldn't disagree more. Sanchez takes a beating from the media and fanbase when he plays poorly, and now when he plays well, Tim freakin Tebow gets the credit?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Under 3 yards per play I believe. Tebow looked sloooow out there. He didn't contribute on offense at all yesterday and certainly had nothing to do with Sanchez's excellent play. Doesn't mean Tebow won't make some big plays for us in other games though, still hoping he does.
    Indeed, +1

My only question is why we ran him, basicly, up the gut every play. Why not on the outside? And why not at least one short-pass-to-a-RB/TE just so the threat exists?

I hope it's because we simply didn't need it. Because you're 100% right, he did look slow and cumbersome going up-gut all those times. Almost Greene-esque.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This place needs a good Inquisition to get rid of the rampant flaming atheism!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Indeed, +1

My only question is why we ran him, basicly, up the gut every play. Why not on the outside? And why not at least one short-pass-to-a-RB/TE just so the threat exists?

I hope it's because we simply didn't need it. Because you're 100% right, he did look slow and cumbersome going up-gut all those times. Almost Greene-esque.
    that threat already exists. Its not a WR playing wildcat. The guy was a starting QB of an NFL team. There is now way that the passing threat "doesn't exist"

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    Seriously???
    Do you really believe what you wrote?
    Tebow threw ZERO passes.....ZERO.....So do you really think that Ds are playing the pass when Tebow is behind center??? You call it an advantage for the Jets O.....But I bet when Bills D saw Tebow behind center, they screamed...."ITS A RUN"
    And Tebow on the line as TE......becoming a nonentity as a pass catcher really makes it a 10 on 11 play
    Sure, because once the Jets opened a huge lead there was no need to show what they could do. Who cares if they knew it was a run. Most times teams know from the packages and formations that a play is a run or pass.

The Jets showed little of what they have in store when they want to really run the package.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    It's opening day, 2012, the first run of the Sparano-led Jets Offense.

The Jets #2 QB today is Drew Stanton.

Even in a perfect world, Mark Sanchez still sits for 5-10 plays.

On those plays, the Sparano-Wildcat is still run.

Except, in a world without Tebow, it's run by Kerley instead.

If the idea of a Kerley Wildcat is something you don't want, you'd have to also want a World Without Sparano.

With Sparano, comes the QB-on-the-sidelines Wildcat/Option.

So....a world without Tebow.

What would that world look like for the Jets? Would yesterdays result have been different? If so, how? Would Sanchez have been more, or less, distratced and put out of rhythm?

Is it Tebow ON the field and IN the locker room you want gone?

Or is it Tebow OFF the field, the media-driven hype and the religious-baggage, that you really want gone?

Could Kerley/McKnight have been enough of a Wildcat to be "enough" for what Sparano wanted and was going to run either way?
    Oh - and the Jets likely draft Bobby Massie in Rd 4 and Austin Howard never sees the light of day

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    all of the above is true except for the last statement.

the media circus is NOT irrelevant and it's the primary reason i disliked the Tebow trade when it first went down.
    Funny, that was the same thought almost ever Jet fan I knew had, and I felt the complete opposite.

He was the perfect distraction for Sanchez. Without Tebow, the media would have made this into a referendum on whether this was the make or break year for Sanchez. They would have have followed him around, and around, and around. "What about Holmes?" Keller? Schottenheimer, a new OC and new offense?"

Actually what the Jets did was sign a number 2 QB, and tell him he's number 2.

They took the single most high profile NFL football media slut, and stuck him on a team full of them. It drove the microphones and cameras away from Mark's locker and off his tail, as well as others who could use to be quoted less. Meanwhile, they knew Tebow would say all the right things, and be "excited."

They gave Sanchez some pressure from below as a push, without a direct challenge, all the while reaffirming that Mark should be a better QB than this guy.

To me...it was the perfect distraction to allow him to focus...which will start to go away if he plays like he did yesterday more often.

Fine!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Under 3 yards per play I believe. Tebow looked sloooow out there. He didn't contribute on offense at all yesterday and certainly had nothing to do with Sanchez's excellent play. Doesn't mean Tebow won't make some big plays for us in other games though, still hoping he does.
    however... directly following plays with Tebow @ QB, Mark went 4 for 5 for 61 yards and 2TDs. If that trend continues, be it a little extra time with Sparano or just an "extra time out" for Mark... sign me up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What #2 QBs added to their team's offense AND SPECIAL TEAMS week 1? None. They all sat on the bench and took up a roster spot.

(Kolb took over for Skelton but Kolb isn't on special teams)