Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the Holmes catch have been a TD?

Veteran
    Such civility on this thread. I noticed Denver fans booing an obvious facemask yesterday and thought, "jets fans don't do that, or do we"?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby2times View Post
    You obviously didnt watch SF vs GB game. There was some horrid officiating going on in that game.
    Because the real refs never make mistakes. They would never do anything crazy like mess up a coin flip, give a guy a touchdown when he never broke the plane, call an incomplete pass a catch, botch a replay challenge - oh crap. Never mind.

Veteran
    IMO- the refs were wrong on the Sanchez int and the Kerley third down dive, but they got the Holmes non-touchdown right.

Hand=foot
    forearm=foot
    knee=two feet
    butt=two feet

The call was obvious and well explained by the announcers.......did you watch the game?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by John in CT View Post
    A solid, professional reciever would know not to put your hand to the ground in that situation. You catch the ball, maintain possession, and get both feet in. A professional doesn't reach down to break his fall.

But, unfortunately, it was Santonio Holmes, so he was unable to get both feet in bounds before he put his hand on the ground to break his fall.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Should've been but Holmes mucked it up.
    A solid, professional reciever would know not to put your hand to the ground in that situation. You catch the ball, maintain possession, and get both feet in. A professional doesn't reach down to break his fall.

But, unfortunately, it was Santonio Holmes, so he was unable to get both feet in bounds before he put his hand on the ground to break his fall.
    Holmes is the only receiver on the team that is even capable of making that catch.

How quickly we forget the TD catch in the NE playoff game.

Holmes has great hand and superb body control.

I'm glad he put his hand down because if he didn't he probably would have been injured. He was coming down pretty hard and was going to land head/upper body first.

All League

Congrats, you might have made the dumbest post I've ever seen on JI.

Wow. Might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on here

Never played a sport in your life, huh.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    You are one of those guys that forget about all the crappy calls the regular refs made on a weekly basis. Why do you think the NFL instituted instant replay in the first place?
    Please raise your hand if you actually watched the game from start to finish. Blocks to the back that leads to punt return TD, numerous uncalled false start penalties which led to crucial first downs, and phantom interference calls. The refs could have easily influenced who won the game.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    OMG, this is as ridiculous as it gets.
    It would've been a nice catch, but nothing unusual for Holmes.

He caught the ball in his left palm with the right hand on the side.

As his left foot touched down he switched the ball to his right hand completely so he could reach down and break the fall with his left.

His left hand touched ground just before the right foot touched the EZ.

Had he kept both hands on the ball and let his upper body fall freely it would've been 6.

Of course, Tone did what he felt was necessary but it didn't work.

Calm down Wet Nuts.

It's a little early to be swigging Popov for MNF, even for you.

E-a-s-y now.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    OMG, this is as ridiculous as it gets.
    Right, I guess we've never seen his Super bowl winning catch?? I guess his survival instinct kicked in to protect his face/head... oh well...

Meh. Sanchez had him open, it wasn't a good pass considering the space he had.

Not including the flip, it really seemed like Sanchez had issues connecting with Holmes, he had Holmes open another time and missed badly, and on a play over the middle he threw it in way too hard.

Another thread about a single play. Drops, errors, mishaps are expected, so get over it. We are 1-0 and we silence all critics; so stop worrying about every mistake and move on to the next game.
    Last edited by Sports; 09-10-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Jets Insider VIP

no dispute. no td. his arm came down out of bounds before his second foot. nice try by holmes to grab the ball and make the play.

Holmes' momentum was carrying him forward and he new that without him bracing himself with his hand, he wouldn't have been able to get his other foot down in-bounds.

So he did that to see if perhaps he could get away with a TD call there...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    it was actually a great call by the ref on the field. These replacement refs apparently have the same 20/20 vision as the "regular" refs, maybe even better. Once they get more and more comfortable with the nuance of being an NFL ref we won't notice the difference.
    The old refs will be back one at a time as they give up the union. It will be interesting as to what seniority will get them. I think this will be the best thing to ever happen with the officials. They can definitely improve the overall quality, and get rid of some big egos. Btw very good call. Tone has to suck it up and let his face hit the turf there. Not an easy thing to do going against your instinct. I blew out a tire on my bike one time, and like an idiot put my hand down at 40 miles an hour like I was going to brace myself. My wrist still hurts, and the skin on the inside of my first three fingers is all shinny.

Did anyone else catch Marv Albert and Rich Gannon totally confused as to how the refs counted Stephen Hills second TD? They have no clue about the "goal line extends around the world" rule. They were saying "oh, he MUST'VE got a piece of the pylon."

All Pro

You guys haven't watched much football, yes?