Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should the Holmes catch have been a TD?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I'm glad he put his hand down because if he didn't he probably would have been injured. He was coming down pretty hard and was going to land head/upper body first.
    There's a risk of injury when you land on your hand too.

Ask Chad Pennington.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Holmes is the only receiver on the team that is even capable of making that catch.

How quickly we forget the TD catch in the NE playoff game.

Holmes has great hand and superb body control.
    You're forgetting how he landed that catch with both hands on the ball and his upper body (shoulder) hitting the turf.

Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    Right, I guess we've never seen his Super bowl winning catch?? I guess his survival instinct kicked in to protect his face/head... oh well...
    Basically, you and DD are saying that Holmes is used to making that grab and nobody disagrees; it's a patented Holmes TD catch. Thank you.

That's why it's obvious on Sunday he didn't pull it off precisely the way he'd like to.

He mucked up the finish.

Go watch the SB TD and you'll see how he waited for his feet to hit and put his forearm down only at the last moment.

Tough catch. No knock on Tone, just sayin'.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    You guys haven't watched much football, yes?
    Great response, tardface.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    Right, I guess we've never seen his Super bowl winning catch?? I guess his survival instinct kicked in to protect his face/head... oh well...
    I don't think it's survival. Just reflex. I think his foot took longer to come down than he thought it would. You see the replay, and it looks like it takes unnaturally long to get down. Kind of like when you try to move just two fingers. It's not natural and you have to concentrate to do it. He does have great body control, and I'm looking forward to a great year with all the receivers happy, and Shotty free. Should lead to many more opportunities to prove himself.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Great response, tardface.
    Post a YouTube vid of you making a comparable catch and I will wire you 3.75 million bucks. SAR as my word, yo.

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zombo View Post
    Because the real refs never make mistakes. They would never do anything crazy like mess up a coin flip, give a guy a touchdown when he never broke the plane, call an incomplete pass a catch, botch a replay challenge - oh crap. Never mind.
    The replacement refs were not good yesterday. They make a lot more mistakes than regular refs.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    It would've been a nice catch, but nothing unusual for Holmes.

He caught the ball in his left palm with the right hand on the side.

As his left foot touched down he switched the ball to his right hand completely so he could reach down and break the fall with his left.

His left hand touched ground just before the right foot touched the EZ.

Had he kept both hands on the ball and let his upper body fall freely it would've been 6.

Of course, Tone did what he felt was necessary but it didn't work.

Calm down Wet Nuts.

It's a little early to be swigging Popov for MNF, even for you.

E-a-s-y now.
    Calm down? No need. The only one who needs to calm down are those who obviously don't get it.

The idea that you expect that catch to be made or not making is a muck up, is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by NY State of Mind View Post
    Did anyone else catch Marv Albert and Rich Gannon totally confused as to how the refs counted Stephen Hills second TD? They have no clue about the "goal line extends around the world" rule. They were saying "oh, he MUST'VE got a piece of the pylon."
    What ticked me off even more about that is it was CLEAR AS DAY that it was the DEFENDER who hit the pylon. Hill wasn't even close to it yet they continue to insist that he must've hit the pylon and when the replay showed, not one peep came out of them.

I guess they didn't want to acknowledge that they made a mistake....

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    The replacement refs were not good yesterday. They make a lot more mistakes than regular refs.
    link?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Post a YouTube vid of you making a comparable catch and I will wire you 3.75 million bucks. SAR as my word, yo.

Sent from my Double-Wide using Semaphore...
    What's your point?

I'm not a $50M pro WR that rehearses that catch every week, nor am I ripping Holmes for muffing it.

But I'll keep your offer in mind.

I'm sure Tone would admit that it wasn't his best execution yesterday.

He almost pulled it off and it would've been a beauty.

Jets Insider VIP
    It was clear as day that his hand was down first. What is all the debating about???

Veteran
    Calm down? No need. The only one who needs to calm down are those who obviously don't get it.

The idea that you expect that catch to be made or not making is a muck up, is silly.

Er, okay. That's like saying when an olympic gymnast screws up a landing it's not really a screw-up because that stuff is difficult and you and I couldn't do any better.

All Pro
    Sanchez needs to make that an easy catch. He was great but definitely needed to hit that one.

Only if the rules are meaningless.

His hand was clearly on the ground, out of bounds, before he got his 2nd foot down.

By rule no catch. Easy call.
    Come on, that was almost a blind 50/50 guess to call correctly in live speed. Give the refs credit.