Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I cant believe how open our Wide Recievers were

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Speed kills. What happens when we have speedsters like Schillens, Gates sharing some real air time with Hill
    i don't think gates will ever play a down for us

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    I made at least a couple of posts over the last couple of years that it wasnt really our receivers. It's Schotty. He would call all these plays were multiple receivers would run routes very close to each other and sometimes would even bump into each other. I saw it at least a few times last year.
    This is spot on, not only were they bunched up, but the routes were all to the same depth.

It would almost allow 1 guy to cover two or sometimes 3 of Sanchez's targets.

That lends itself to not only picks, but sacks as well.

It is only one game, but it was evident last season he was the problem.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    lol. it was eye-opening for Bills fans too....

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topi...uo-in-the-nfl/
    That thread is awesome

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least part of the reason is athleticism. I saw Stephen Hill on several occasions create sudden, quick separation from defenders on his routes. The guy has 4.2 speed and apparently that parlayed into football speed from what I can tell.

The Jets WR's will not be exploiting the Steelers secondary like they did the Bills. They'll have to work for everything last little thing they do. But it's very possible that Stephen Hill could still create that separation that worked so well for us against Buffalo.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could have been due to our new WR coach Sanjay Lal.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...stephen_h.html

Jets rookie receiver Stephen Hill has been well-schooled
    (Article is actually about Stephen Hill)

During his first day with the Jets, Lal laid out a mantra for success that seemed tailor-made to Hill’s talents. Outside of the mental preparation they do, which includes teachings in Sun Tzu’s “Art of War” (a practice also employed by other coordinators on the team), receivers are coached to dominate the line of scrimmage.

Announcing their presence physically is paramount, as is the psychology behind every snap — if the receiver sprints into a route the same way he sprints into a block, the play is harder for the defense to anticipate.

If they bump a cornerback as fiercely on a sweep toss as they do during a post route out of press coverage, the offense already has an advantage.

“They’ll know we’re there,” Lal said of opposing cornerbacks. “We want our presence to be known on every play. Run or pass. It’s ‘I’m going to exert my will on the man in front of me,’ and whoever wins that is generally going to win the game.”

Take, for example, Hill’s first regular-season reception as a Jet. It was third-and-7 from the Jets’ 23-yard line. Buffalo rookie cornerback Stephon Gilmore played tight against his counterpart, a yard of separation between the two.

When Mark Sanchez hiked the ball, Hill made first contact then swung his left forearm into Gilmore’s face, jolting the cornerback backward right before he snapped into the inward break on his route. Hill caught the ball within the space he created and secured the first down.

Heh, Hill trucked him
    Last edited by Demosthenes9; 09-13-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It pretty much goes without saying that the Jets WR's certainly won't be that open against the Steelers. As good as the Jets O was, the Bills D was equally as bad. It takes two for 48 points to get scored.

The Steelers will find a way to give Austin Howard some trouble. It will be up to Sanchez to find a way to complete passes anyway. That's what happens in tough games against great defenses.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    This is spot on, not only were they bunched up, but the routes were all to the same depth.

It would almost allow 1 guy to cover two or sometimes 3 of Sanchez's targets.

That lends itself to not only picks, but sacks as well.

It is only one game, but it was evident last season he was the problem.
    This was one of schottys biggest problems....as it not only put extra defenders in the way of our passes, but it compilcated things for sanchez in both pre and post snap reads.

Amazing how bad schotty actually was.....we forget what a real offense is like, since he was here for so long.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    One of the benefits of practicing against the best secondary in the NFL. Not having the matador at RT was a big help too
    I also think people are underestimating how much better it was not having the offsides machine (and matador) at blocking TE - Mulligan...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just finished reading this article today. I think it really helps explain how our receivers seemed to be open all the time. Huge credit to Sanjay Lal for teaching these guys to go all out on every play and be pulyisical.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...stephen_h.html

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a combination of a long-standing successful NFL offensive system, The EP Offense (Ernhardt-Perkins) and QB/WR play. Parcells, Belichick, Coughlin, Payton and now our Sparano run a variation of it. I'm thrilled to have it.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...offense-part-1
    http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...offense-part-2

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    also a good thread started by TheMo back in January about the Offense that Sparano runs.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=240902

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    also a good thread started by TheMo back in January about the Offense that Sparano runs.

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=240902
    good dig. this offense definitely seems better for sanchez, who was usually better on the longer throws to the sides than the short stuff over the middle. i also think kerley and hill are suited to this offense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    good dig. this offense definitely seems better for sanchez, who was usually better on the longer throws to the sides than the short stuff over the middle. i also think kerley and hill are suited to this offense.
    The only thing that's missing is the Bavaro/Gronkowski type TE. But, I can see Keller making it work for them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    The only thing that's missing is the Bavaro/Gronkowski type TE. But, I can see Keller making it work for them.
    i think they have the wrs they need though, and powell has some size too. also i think ducasse may be better than slauson at some point, he'd really push that pile.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    i don't think gates will ever play a down for us
    Sparano drafted him to be a vertical, outside force with the Dolphins. I could see a Dedric Ward type of role in this Offense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    At least part of the reason is athleticism. I saw Stephen Hill on several occasions create sudden, quick separation from defenders on his routes. The guy has 4.2 speed and apparently that parlayed into football speed from what I can tell.

The Jets WR's will not be exploiting the Steelers secondary like they did the Bills. They'll have to work for everything last little thing they do. But it's very possible that Stephen Hill could still create that separation that worked so well for us against Buffalo.
    With the exception of Polamalu (who has been relegated to playing up at the line due to constant injury) The Steeler's secondary really isn't all that better. The difference is that the Steelers have a much better front 7 than the Bills

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think they have the wrs they need though, and powell has some size too. also i think ducasse may be better than slauson at some point, he'd really push that pile.
    Ducasse better hurry up and make a presence... it's getting late early with him.

I've been a big Powell supporter here... I think he's gonna have a great year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    With the exception of Polamalu (who has been relegated to playing up at the line due to constant injury) The Steeler's secondary really isn't all that better. The difference is that the Steelers have a much better front 7 than the Bills
    doesn't seem that way on paper, with the bills front 4. the lbs are better though.